A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car disabled this morning

Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update: Blown turbos, 2015 A8 4.0T

Driving to work this morning and my 2015 NWB A8 4.0T just died at the stoplight as I was about to turn into the complex. Engine sputtered to a stop and threw a Christmas tree of lights on the dash. Car will not start - it will not turn over and shows the check engine and EPC lights on the dash. Currently waiting for roadside assistance to take the car to the closest Audi dealer. Hopefully I can at least get a loaner today while they look at it. Great way to start the week!

Last edited by dwboston; 02-25-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Add information to original post
Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oddly unexpected for sure. Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Unfortunate. And unfortunately when I read your description, that reads like a lot of the first entries in a blown turbos post that just suddenly dump out. Maybe you will get lucky and have it just be bad alternator or failed fuel pump or some such, but given 4.0T I wonder.
The following users liked this post:
jhocques jordan (07-18-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Unfortunate. And unfortunately when I read your description, that reads like a lot of the first entries in a blown turbos post that just suddenly dump out. Maybe you will get lucky and have it just be bad alternator or failed fuel pump or some such, but given 4.0T I wonder.
Got towed to the nearest Audi dealer. They took it in right away and came out 20 minutes later with bad news and good news. The bad news? Blown turbos. The good news? Warranty on the turbos to 7 yrs / 70k miles. Made it by 1200 miles. They put me in a new A6 loaner and they're ordering the parts. My only question is - could there be more extensive damage to the engine from the turbos going like that?

I'm sure it's just luck of the draw, but this car has been serviced at Audi for every service interval, and I don't drive like a maniac. I have a 50/50 commute of back roads/highway, with ACC set on the highway @ 76 mph. No WOT action or anything like that. It's disappointing with a car like the A8.

Last edited by dwboston; 02-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Very sorry to hear that! This will may put my constant soul searching in wanting the 4.0T to rest. Great that it's covered under warranty. Let us know how you like the new A6.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Very sorry to hear that! This will may put my constant soul searching in wanting the 4.0T to rest. Great that it's covered under warranty. Let us know how you like the new A6.
The A6 is OK. The new interface takes some getting used to. My biggest complaint is the same as it was in my old 2012 A6 Prestige - the seats are absolutely horrible. Stiff, uncomfortable, and the seat cushion is too short for my legs. My lower back is already aching. The massage seats in my A8 are really incredible.

Last edited by dwboston; 02-25-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston
Got towed to the nearest Audi dealer. They took it in right away and came out 20 minutes with bad news and good news. The bad news? Blown turbos. The good news? Warranty on the turbos to 7 yrs / 70k miles. Made it by 1200 miles. They put me in a new A6 loaner and they're ordering the parts. My only question is - could there be more extensive damage to the engine from the turbos going like that?

I'm sure it's just luck of the draw, but this car has been serviced at Audi for every service interval, and I don't drive like a maniac. I have a 50/50 commute of back roads/highway, with ACC set on the highway @ 76 mph. No WOT action or anything like that. It's disappointing with a car like the A8.
As to more extensive damage, hard to say. You should set expectations with service writer/manger that you will want to hear a detailed assessment of what was found, and any other corrective work or checks were done besides the turbo assembly replacement itself. Thus, are the blades intact or not on the failed set? If not intact on the intake side, then huge flag to look deeper and expect the motor likely ate something bad. If on exhaust side, may need disassembly to fish parts out of relevant converter. If it crashed a bearing and maybe impeller blades hit but didn't break, how bad was that bearing failure in turn? What steps did they take to flush oil lines and such? I would expect the motor oil and filter get changed of course, but IIRC they are also now changing a screen at the drainback check valves in the heads.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-25-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As to more extensive damage, hard to say. You should set expectations with service writer/manger that you will want to hear a detailed assessment of what was found, and any other corrective work or checks were done besides the turbo assembly replacement itself. Thus, are the blades intact or not on the failed set? If not intact on the intake side, then huge flag to look deeper and expect the motor likely ate something bad. If on exhaust side, may need disassembly to fish parts out of relevant converter. If it crashed a bearing and maybe impeller blades hit but didn't break, how bad was that bearing failure in turn? What steps did they take to flush oil lines and such? I would expect the motor oil and filter get changed of course, but IIRC they are also now changing a screen at the drainback check valves in the heads.
Thanks - that's really helpful. I never would have known to ask about any of that. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spoke to the service rep this morning - they received the parts yesterday and expect to have it done today. I've asked for a detailed list of what was done/checked and if there was any other engine damage beyond the turbos failing. He said he would have that for me when he calls me back this afternoon.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe do the Board a favor for big picture info you could develop here as your work gets to a conclusion. Of course, don't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth as far as first getting the work safely covered under warranty as you mentioned.

The question of common interest is how is it being covered by warranty? That is, post the normal 4 year/50K mile overall one, if I followed your prior reply/information correctly. The logical choices are
1. Audi did a warranty extension on the turbo issues. But, they haven't announced that and relevant laws say manufacturers can't have hidden warranties. Might be possible they are just now getting the notice out though.
2. You got spiffed.
3. It is something tied to the emissions warranty.

I am guessing it is #3. Assuming you are in Boston (??), you would be in a "CARB" state--the ones that sync to California emissions rules. Being in CA, that's my situation too--and about ⅓ of the country and probably a greater percentage of Audi D4 owners. The details there are subtle, but in general the CARB states get a better warranty deal on emissions. The reference to the coverage being 7/70 is consistent with the California based warranty length.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car disabled this morning