A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car disabled this morning

Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Maybe do the Board a favor for big picture info you could develop here as your work gets to a conclusion. Of course, don't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth as far as first getting the work safely covered under warranty as you mentioned.

The question of common interest is how is it being covered by warranty? That is, post the normal 4 year/50K mile overall one, if I followed your prior reply/information correctly. The logical choices are
1. Audi did a warranty extension on the turbo issues. But, they haven't announced that and relevant laws say manufacturers can't have hidden warranties. Might be possible they are just now getting the notice out though.
2. You got spiffed.
3. It is something tied to the emissions warranty.

I am guessing it is #3. Assuming you are in Boston (??), you would be in a "CARB" state--the ones that sync to California emissions rules. Being in CA, that's my situation too--and about ⅓ of the country and probably a greater percentage of Audi D4 owners. The details there are subtle, but in general the CARB states get a better warranty deal on emissions. The reference to the coverage being 7/70 is consistent with the California based warranty length.
The service summary says something about a "GFF warranty". I didn't really push it with them as they didn't even charge me the diagnostic fee they had mentioned when the car was brought in on Monday. My only out of pocket costs were for the tow to the dealership (my Audi Roadside coverage expired in October apparently) and the 1/2 tank of gas for the loaner car.

It was somewhat ironic that the car broke down literally 30 minutes after I sold & mailed my VCDS cable to another member here. I thought it was interesting that the service summary mentioned that they scanned the vehicle and found no faults for my "concern" (which was the car stalling and refusing to start). All in all a really good experience with this dealership. I live about 30 minutes west of Boston - this dealership is in RI as it was the closest one to my office where the breakdown occurred.

Last edited by dwboston; 03-01-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe do the Board a favor for big picture info you could develop here as your work gets to a conclusion. Of course, don't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth as far as first getting the work safely covered under warranty as you mentioned.

The question of common interest is how is it being covered by warranty? That is, post the normal 4 year/50K mile overall one, if I followed your prior reply/information correctly. The logical choices are
1. Audi did a warranty extension on the turbo issues. But, they haven't announced that and relevant laws say manufacturers can't have hidden warranties. Might be possible they are just now getting the notice out though.
2. You got spiffed.
3. It is something tied to the emissions

I am guessing it is #3. Assuming you are in Boston (??), you would be in a "CARB" state--the ones that sync to California emissions rules. Being in CA, that's my situation too--and about ⅓ of the country and probably a greater percentage of Audi D4 owners. The details there are subtle, but in general the CARB states get a better warranty deal on emissions. The reference to the coverage being 7/70 is consistent with the California based warranty length.
I think you are correct that the coverage is a CARB based warranty. I checked my 2018 model year CARB warranty, and the turbocharger assembly is expressly covered for 7/70 for both the A8L and S8 4.0. The 3.0 supercharger assembly is also covered.

Funny thing, my car was held in port for quite a while awaiting CARB certification, and I bitched about my state aligning itself with CARB, but you correctly pointed out to me that CARB carried a warranty benefit. Mike
Old 08-13-2021, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunate. And unfortunately when I read your description, that reads like a lot of the first entries in a blown turbos post that just suddenly dump out. Maybe you will get lucky and have it just be bad alternator or failed fuel pump or some such, but given 4.0T I wonder.
can u disable the turbos in a audi a8l
Old 08-13-2021, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flimflam12
can u disable the turbos in a audi a8l

Er, no. If the Audi A8L in question has the 4.0T the turbos are essential/mandatory for the engine. It's not just some on/off switch, the whole engine is designed around the turbos. If the Audi A8L in question has the supercharged V6, you will not have the same issue, dwboston did.