A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome trim delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

My comments were meant to be semi-light hearted. Our friend, dgbaudiphile's S8 is tasteful and looks great---just enough. OTOH, there are far too many cars that are way overdone, then predictably out pops a pimply faced 20 year old poser. That's more typical of the Black Bart syndrome.

So I'm not seen as some old fart, I just picked up my new Sq5 with these wheels. Interesting thing is there are not any SQ5 wheels all chrome or brushed. At least mine have some brushed on the spokes so I will get used to it

Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
My comments were meant to be semi-light hearted. Our friend, dgbaudiphile's S8 is tasteful and looks great---just enough. OTOH, there are far too many cars that are way overdone, then predictably out pops a pimply faced 20 year old poser. That's more typical of the Black Bart syndrome.

So I'm not seen as some old fart, I just picked up my new Sq5 with these wheels. Interesting thing is there are not any SQ5 wheels all chrome or brushed. At least mine have some brushed on the spokes so I will get used to it

Q5 looks nice. Will be great for taking you down to Florida for the winter so your joints don't ache in the cold 👍😂
Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
Q5 looks nice. Will be great for taking you down to Florida for the winter so your joints don't ache in the cold 👍😂
and good for driving pimply faced 20 year old posers around while their cars are in the shop getting the Black Bart treatment
Old 08-18-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
Did you do the front grille too?
yes - that was done with plastidip
Old 08-18-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have taken my S8 to several places now and they all say it can't be done where it will look good or not peel off within a few months or something along those lines??
These are high end professional places also.

Wanting to black out the chrome and side mirrors and bumper
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelzo
I have taken my S8 to several places now and they all say it can't be done where it will look good or not peel off within a few months or something along those lines??
These are high end professional places also.

Wanting to black out the chrome and side mirrors and bumper
few months?? At the very least a few years without issues

it’s just vinyl wrap which is pretty resilient
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I keep saying!
I guess I need to try and find several more shops until I find one that will do it, or try myself.

A year or two is totally worth it in my eyes.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelzo
That's what I keep saying!
I guess I need to try and find several more shops until I find one that will do it, or try myself.

A year or two is totally worth it in my eyes.
I had all of my chrome wrapped in late December. The grill should been plasti-dipped. Not that the wrap isn't holding up (it is) but the wrap doesn't hold up to rock chips well and with chrome behind it, they become very evident. I use touchup paint as a short-term cure until I get the plasti-dip. Just haven't had the time.

The mirrors, on the other hand, are starting to peel - both at the edge and at the joint. I have a feeling that this is a difficult wrap given the contour. I'm not sure if my guy disassembled the housing or not but that's probably the best way to do it. I'm undecided on what I'll do on the mirrors. Either consider a plasti-dip (anyone?), suck it up and do a wrap once-per year (not a good option), buy black housings (expensive) or go naked. I'll likely remove the mirror wrap for the winter after I put on my silver winter wheels and see how I feel come spring.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I personally just love the look you've built. Gorgeous car! So, you did vinyl wrap on everything? How about your grill?

I'm torn between thinking I'll wait until a '17-18 CPO S8 Plus comes along or start blacking out the trim on my Daytona Gray. Black-on-gray is just natural looking to me, but as you say, we can't argue with taste!

I've considered looking for S Plus wheels too, but I have 20" BBS CH-Rs from my S6 that will fit nicely and I'm thinking of trying the N-Spec Michelin A/S 3s available in 275/40.

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
I like where you're going with it audisession, Some may really be offended by my choice in S8 (below) but after owning a few with the signature S aluminum mirrors with matching wheels, trim, etc. (my first was back in 2004), I decided that, 11 years later, it was time to roll with the changes. My first was a 2015 S4 with black optics. At first, I said "no-way", but that's pretty much all the dealership had on the lot and my salesman (who I've known a while) convinced me that I'd like it. I did. Now I'm all about black optics - so much so that I wrapped my 2015 trim and upgraded to 2016 Plus wheels. If you walk the lots of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Cadillac, etc. you'll find more black grills and wheels than ever. Maybe it's a trend, but I doubt it - it's been sneaking up on us for over five years. Come to think of it, I had black Fuchs on my 1986 Porsche 944 (although the rim was silver)!

BTW - indubitably, not everyone will agree with everyone's preferences. I have my opinions on color combinations, ride heights, etc. but try to keep negative opinions to myself. We're all here to share experiences with fellow Audi enthusiasts and should, therefore, respect everyone's tastes and celebrate what everyone's doing to personalize their ride.

Respectfully,

- Black Bart

Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

So after watching lots of YouTube videoes etc I bought some Plasti-Dip cans today in black.
Looks like a pretty straightforward (and easy) solution.

I will be doing a small tester area to begin with, and will report back if it's worth it. Looking to delete chrome on grill, window trim etc

Quick Reply: Chrome trim delete