A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome trim delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KT88
Well, I personally just love the look you've built. Gorgeous car! So, you did vinyl wrap on everything? How about your grill?

I'm torn between thinking I'll wait until a '17-18 CPO S8 Plus comes along or start blacking out the trim on my Daytona Gray. Black-on-gray is just natural looking to me, but as you say, we can't argue with taste!

I've considered looking for S Plus wheels too, but I have 20" BBS CH-Rs from my S6 that will fit nicely and I'm thinking of trying the N-Spec Michelin A/S 3s available in 275/40.
Thanks! I saw a 2016 Plus photo and fell in love with it so I replicated it. Funny, but I was in a similar situation. I asked my dealer to keep their eyes out for a 2016 Plus, black optics and without the rotor-style wheels, knowing that an off-lease car would unlikely be available last year. Shortly after, he bought this 2015 off lease with me in mind. I headed over to the dealership, test drove it and said "I like it except for the wheels and the chrome". He made me an offer that I couldn't refuse - "I'll have the chrome wrapped, the windows tinted and give you brand new summer tires (they had to for CPO and it had new winters on it)". I called my wheel guy and within a week he had four OEM black wheels (see photo). So, for a few grand, I got what I wanted. A 2016 Plus at the time would have cost me another $25-30k. I do like the matte silver paint with black optics though...but I'm more than happy at the moment.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, didn't answer your question:

Well, I personally just love the look you've built. Gorgeous car! So, you did vinyl wrap on everything? How about your grill?
Yes, everything, including the grill, was wrapped (and grill teeth). Grill, sensor housings, mirrors, window trim all around and door handles. The only area not wrapped was the rear diffuser between the exhaust tips (if you can call it that). Like I mentioned before, the grill wrap holds up in terms of peeling but it does get peppered with rock chips - nothing that touchup paint can't handle, but I understand that Plasti-dip is better. Mirrors, on the other hand, are starting to peel after about eight months. Only I would notice though.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelzo
So after watching lots of YouTube videoes etc I bought some Plasti-Dip cans today in black.
Looks like a pretty straightforward (and easy) solution.

I will be doing a small tester area to begin with, and will report back if it's worth it. Looking to delete chrome on grill, window trim etc
Be really interested to see how you get on with this. If you can take lots of photos and videos to document how you get on. This is something I may well do myself
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davey_b
Be really interested to see how you get on with this. If you can take lots of photos and videos to document how you get on. This is something I may well do myself
I agree - then we can all send you our grills for a quick turnaround. haha.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!

Yeah, I had my RS5 window trim vinyl wrapped and I was never really completely happy with it. From 10ft no one would notice, and really, closeup, only I would notice. Thing is, it's just not "factory" and it bugs me.

I did spend $700 on a black OEM grille that I got a great price on from Audi in Arlington, VA. That was worth the money.

Of course, you're right, for the privilege of factory trim I need to cough up more coin

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Sorry, didn't answer your question:

Yes, everything, including the grill, was wrapped (and grill teeth). Grill, sensor housings, mirrors, window trim all around and door handles. The only area not wrapped was the rear diffuser between the exhaust tips (if you can call it that). Like I mentioned before, the grill wrap holds up in terms of peeling but it does get peppered with rock chips - nothing that touchup paint can't handle, but I understand that Plasti-dip is better. Mirrors, on the other hand, are starting to peel after about eight months. Only I would notice though.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Talking

Thanks!

Yeah, I had my RS5 window trim vinyl wrapped and I was never really completely happy with it. From 10ft no one would notice, and really, closeup, only I would notice. Thing is, it's just not "factory" and it bugs me.

I did spend $700 on a black OEM grille that I got a great price on from Audi in Arlington, VA. That was worth the money.

Of course, you're right, for the privilege of factory trim I need to cough up more coin
Good point - that reminds me that I looked up the cost to replace most everything (window trim excluded) with OEM black optic components and although it's less expensive than trading up a model year, it's not an inexpensive proposition. IIRC, L/R sensor housings were pushing $1,500 per, the grill was about $1,200 and the L/R mirror housings (which I believe are carbon fiber (or at least CF-look) are over a grand a piece. So, out the door, we're talking six-large if you do the install yourself.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, it's a formidable project. And don't forget the CF lip spoiler for $1.4k-ish.

My last S6 came with BO, and by default, body-color mirror housings ... but, of course, I prefer them in silver so I bought them from Bernardi for $1k. The first one was a real pita, but once I figured it out, the second one took 10 minutes =D

Good point - that reminds me that I looked up the cost to replace most everything (window trim excluded) with OEM black optic components and although it's less expensive than trading up a model year, it's not an inexpensive proposition. IIRC, L/R sensor housings were pushing $1,500 per, the grill was about $1,200 and the L/R mirror housings (which I believe are carbon fiber (or at least CF-look) are over a grand a piece. So, out the door, we're talking six-large if you do the install yourself.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Where did you get these wheels?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I had an online wheel broker find them. He happens to be local to me and has tapped into that market. Hopefully you're not missing a set.

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/
Old 08-23-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
BTW - these are an OE option for 2016 S8 Plus.

Quick Reply: Chrome trim delete