A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compared to BMW750ix

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was your choice in the end?
I have the same choice. I have to return my 09 S8 - which I adore - and am toying with the new A8, the 750xi with the M Sport pack and the 550xi also with the M Sport pack. I have driven both the A8 and the 750 and they are both excellent cars but the A8 is not different enough for me to get excited and loses on power to the S8 - of course.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...

I have not pulled the trigger yet but i plan on getting
750xi. I am also not a fan of how large the a8 has grown...

Aceman
Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 750 comment

I currently have a 2009 750i. I really like the comfort of it and some of its features. It has lots of power, awesome seats, and good handling. My car has the heads-up display, which I really like. It has spent about three weeks in the shop in the past year--mostly waiting on parts.

I looked at the D4, but didn't get a chance to drive it. I liked my 2007 S8. It probably was one of my favorite cars. I am a big Audi fan, but also enjoy the 750. I am waiting to see how the D4 fares as far as reliability before returning to the Audi camp.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Traded out of D3 A8L into 2010 750i -- will go back to D4 A8!

A month ago I traded in my A8L for a 2010 BMW 750i that was pre-owned...got an amazing deal on it that I couldn't refuse.

I have owned 3 BMWs in the last 7 years, and the 750i REALLY steps up the level of interior quality, it is the first time I've been satisfied with a Bimmer interior. It has a nice layout, extremely comfortable seats and the screen and Nav are fantastic.

The ride is solid, handling is amazing and the power kicks you when you mash on the pedal. I also happen to like the look of the 750i. The Comfort setting on the vehicle makes it as compliant a ride as a Mercedes or an Audi - the BMW harshness from past models is no longer present on this model.

What I don't like about the 750i is that it is not all wheel drive. I just realized how much I loved and missed the Quattro from my Audi. With all the horsepower in the Bimmer, my traction control kicks on everytime I make an aggressive right or left 90 degree turn, which proves annoying in urban driving. I never had that problem in the A8. In rain I also don't feel as confident with the car as I did with the A8. I would have DEFINITELY gone with a 750iX if the price were right at the time I was buying.

The Bimmer stereo is pure crap (including the PRemium). The Audi Bose standard system just kills anything from Bimmer. Of course the Bang Olufsen is the top of any car maker, period.

As far as other nits -- the BMW settings are not as configurable as the Audi, which is surprising given that they revamped the iDrive. The iDrive is not terrible, but even the last gen Audi system was better in my opinion. The new Audi MMI beats out the iDrive.

One thing I did not realize was that the 750 gets a LOT more attention from other people, which personally I don't like. The A8 was such a stealth vehicle, people would hardly notice it, yet it was a beautiful car.

I have driven the new 2011 A8 and it is an excellent car. The interior is still the top standard. It doesn't handle quite like the 750, as the Audi skews slightly more towards comfort. Also, the A8 doesn't quite have the same horsepower punch. But seriously, for urban driving I can live with a 0.4 seconds slower Audi.

I agree that the styling of the new A8 is somewhat of a disappointment (as is the A7 for that matter)! However, with some nice tint and maybe some upgraded wheels, it can still achieve a level of understated cool.

I will be going back to the 2011 A8 once I can get a good pre-owned one well optioned in a year or so.

If a new A8 is in your budget now, I'd say go for it and don't look back. However there are some sweet deals on low miles, new body style 750s right now...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

both gorgeous and amazing machines the above review by Glisse was spot on. I own a B8 S4 and I have driven many M package BMWs and the steering wheel is much better in Bimmers.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kept my 08 D3 Sport optioned Audi when lease expired due to concerns that Audi would increase engine output for the D4 next model year, but also because the D3 is still a very impressive automobile in every respect and because the Panamera 4S, albeit a much more expensive car than a fully optioned D4, beckons as only a Porsche can and in white actually does not look ridiculous from the rear quarter or side silhouette. A D4 S8 or upgraded D4 standard engine for the US remains tempting for next year.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

IMHO the 7 series has beena failure in design overall. Big swollen rump and boaty look about it. I haven't seen the new A8 but the 7 is not for me, it's for a retired person who hauls dry cleaning around or oxygen.

-k
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
'L' and a D4 SWB is twice as much as the difference in wheel base between a D3 'L' and a D4 'L'.
Perhaps it's too early in the AM for me, but I have no idea what the heck that statement means. Here are the dimensional differences between the D4 and D3:

Overall Length: D4 NWB = 202.0" D3 = 199.3" (+2.7")
D4 LWB = 207.4" D3 = 204.4" (+3.0")
LWB vs. NWB = +5.4"(D4) +5.1"(D3)

Wheelbase: D4 NWB = 117.8" D3 = 115.9" (+1.9")
D4 LWB = 122.9" D3 = 121.0" (+1.9")
LWB vs. NWB = +5.1"(D4) +5.1"(D3)

The D4/D3 wheelbase variance is the same between LWB and NWB trims, with the D4 at +1.9" over the D3. The LWB wheelbase is 5.1" longer than the NWB for both the D4 and D3 platforms.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, I bought my 750ix MSport with pretty much all of the options. It is a very nice car but I must tell you, I am grieving over not having my S8. Yes the BMW has awesome low end torque, yes it is very quick from 50 to 100, it is quiet, it is refined etc etc.
It looks like a boat as someone else described. It coughs at 1500 rpm yet shows no fault codes and is explained as "normal"?! It makes a grinding noise on full lock at low speeds so I guess BMW don't really know what they are doing with all wheel drive yet. There is no feedback to the driver so although it is quick, it just doesn't feel quick, it is not an exciting car to drive.
The iDrive is not as intuitive as the Audi MMI
The sound system is poor, with tinny vibrating noises from the door speakers - this happened on the demo car I took out so I guess it is normal? You have to pull every door handle inside or out twice for it to open, push the stop button twice for the car to shut down. You cannot decide to wash the headlights. The car decides that. Lights on, call for washers and you wash the lights. No choice. Despite getting full leather, the lower door panels are cheap hard plastic. Finally, the gearshift is a center sprung lever affair. Get this, you push it forward for reverse and pull it back to go forward. Now which genius thought that was a good idea?
Sorry to sound spoiled as this is a $120k car but I am disappointed. Maybe I will grow to love the car but I am not convinced. Audi did not give me options to stay with the brand until the new S8 is released but I will be in line when it comes out.
Happy choosing!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

We know that car - test drove all of them, in the relative design/performance/price categories as the Audi. That's one great car, and I know it does have it's fans as the sales figures tell us. Funny that way, where I could never convince some friends/family to give up their S550, or the big BMW - it just suits them on many levels - as the Audi does for us. I can only imagine the pleasure of the D4 S8, and perhaps we will'take the hit' and trade next year - ****, it's only money and before gas goes to $6/gallon we decided to have as much fun while we can. You want crazy? We just traded our 2010 GL450 (12K miles) at a 18K loss for a fully optioned 2011 ML63 AMG. It's a ridiculous automobile and one terrific piece of depreciating machinary, but I haven't ever had more driving fun.

Quick Reply: Compared to BMW750ix