A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness

I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Luckily, no I haven't heard of this issue, nor have I seen it posted anywhere. But I suppose anything is possible on these cars with all the valves and sensors. You'd hope, however, that a valve failure wouldn't result in that kind of leakage into the wiring harness, of all things. That's one heck of a case of engineering unintended consequences!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

The same thing happened to me about three months ago. I posted a thread. It took about two weeks to get a new ECU and fix the issue. Lucly it was still under warrenty.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the car back yesterday and all is right with the world. Here's what the RO said about the problem:

Performed GFF and found multiple faults in system.
Contacted TAC for ECM advisement and part release.
Instructed to remove connectors at N488 and N509 and check for coolant in connector.
Found coolant in connector.
Recontacted TAC and instructed to remove ECM and inspect for coolant migration.
Removed ECM and found coolant at ECM.
Contacted TAC again and advised to replace N488, ECM and engine wiring harness. . .

This leads me to believe that Audi is "aware" of this issue. Mine was under warranty. If anyone wants a list of parts replaced, let me know.

DFW AUdi was good to me regarding a loaner and rides to the airport. Luckily for them I was out of the country for two weeks. Service advisor was good with communication by email and phone while I was traveling.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

K. Kirk Gehman
Involuntary Gentleman of Leisure
I am curious; are you involuntarily gentlemanly, or is it the leisure which is being forced upon you?

-Tom
Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs down Crazy this is still happening.

I can recall many incidents of this with VW. People were finding the pink coolant in their tail lights! The coolant was wicking thru the sensor fitted to the overflow bottle. This often resulted in some serious damage to the wiring harness.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happened to my wife's A8L at about 35K also. Same symptoms, same problem, same fix.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
I am curious; are you involuntarily gentlemanly, or is it the leisure which is being forced upon you?

-Tom
Both actually. :-)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is there a revision for this to keep from messing up another ECM?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This just happened to me as well and I will be documenting what happens here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24614727

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness