A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve

Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve

Bought me used D4 two weeks ago only to get a loud whining noise which was clearly the PCV. Felt great as I purchased the gold plus warranty, really fought for that. I was told there was no difference between that and Platinum other than navigation not being covered and not was I wrong. Dealership first said $1500 to replace it then said that would do it for $500 since I just bought it. Two questions, one since it had 44k miles do I have any recourse under clean air any since it deals with emissions? Secondly does that price sound normal to you? Send extremely high to me

Of course this bull**** warranty doesn't cover it when though it's attached to engine it's considered a wear part, what bull****.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What motor do you have?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Another warranty that fails to cover the things that actually fail. Go figure. The emissions warranty should cover it, but you need to push it. At least according to EPA literature, it should.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Besides motor, what state (or country?) are you in. Matters for emissions warranty.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Besides motor, what state (or country?) are you in. Matters for emissions warranty.
I have the 4.0T motor (2013), I am in GA, USA.

Audi is telling me that they only have a 4 year 50k mile emissions warranty and I am 4 months outside of the 4 year mark which pisses me off but the EPA rule said 5 years 50k miles so I am a little confused there.

Do you guys think I have any recourse here for this? The guy in service said I would need to have an attorney contact them for them to cover it and that was before I even escalated anything, extremely unprofessional honestly.

Lastly, what would it cost to get this replaced at another shop, $1500 seemed crazy to me for this thing.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is an S8, sorry forgot to mention that.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PharmD29
I have the 4.0T motor (2013), I am in GA, USA.

Audi is telling me that they only have a 4 year 50k mile emissions warranty and I am 4 months outside of the 4 year mark which pisses me off but the EPA rule said 5 years 50k miles so I am a little confused there.

Do you guys think I have any recourse here for this? The guy in service said I would need to have an attorney contact them for them to cover it and that was before I even escalated anything, extremely unprofessional honestly.

Lastly, what would it cost to get this replaced at another shop, $1500 seemed crazy to me for this thing.
Said directly from what I could gather, SOL other than anything you can work w/ Audi hotline. Be sure to get to an A8/S8 concierge, who I think are allowed a little more latitude given the class of vehicle. Best line of argument is probably it's becoming a known issue on 4.0T and you should be taken care of as a goodwill gesture. As always, Dale Carnegie will probably work better than bluster approach. You might also report the "attorney" comment as part of "just the facts ma'am"--that seems like either a juvenile "make me" statement and/or an unnecessary pre-emptive escalation by whoever said it.

Specifically, general Fed. emissions is only 2 years/24K miles except for a handful of things like converters, OBDII, ECU, etc. The "CARB states" (CA and now west coast, Northeast down to mid Atlantic in general) have 7/70 on a grab bag of emissions components. I looked though and PCV is not among them. It has to do with when the device was in widespread use. Given the Rube Goldberg nature of this specific PCV that is not remotely like the $10 parts store ones I would personally argue that "common use" tie in here, but you aren't in one of the applicable states anyway. Specifics of the emissions warranty are in the overall warranty booklet you should have gotten with vehicle. For folks in the CARB states like me, there is a second supplemental booklet I got for that.

The reason I understand it is expensive--besides the stereotype uber complex German over engineering that Audi always seems to bring to bear on the big motor PCV's--is that it is apparently buried in the V area under the turbos/exhaust manifold so takes a bunch of labor.

Finally, heads up for all/note to file: I am starting to notice some recurrence of these PCV posts, whether here or with the C7 body fitments. A watch area for all of us with 4.0T flavors.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (02-01-2021)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah it seems like this issue is extremely widespread. They told me it is a wear part and that is why it isn't covered. I very explicitly told him that is an absurd statement as a $120,000 car should not have a $1500 repair "wear part" at 45,000 miles. 75,000 or 100,000 maybe but 45k?!
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (02-01-2021)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does anyone have a number for the concierge?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PharmD29
Yeah it seems like this issue is extremely widespread. They told me it is a wear part and that is why it isn't covered. I very explicitly told him that is an absurd statement as a $120,000 car should not have a $1500 repair "wear part" at 45,000 miles. 75,000 or 100,000 maybe but 45k?!
No, not a wear part in the normal sense. Baloney in plain English. As always BTW, I encourage posting any dubious dealer statements by name of dealer so perhaps sooner or later they realize there are consequences to shining folks on with made up excuses.

1. That is sort of why I think it is misclassed by Audi for purposes of the CARB extended warranty parts set. What it is much more if I understand it is key to the fine oil separation. Crappy PCV set ups are what led to a lot of first generation FSI/DI valve fouling issues. They got reengineered and made a lot more complicated along the way. But fine oil separation is not an inherent function of a classic PCV valve, which is little more than a plastic ball inside an elbow fitting in its most basic form. Even the previously most convoluted and overpriced PCV valve I know of (the D2, D3 and C5 era port injected 4.2) was really just a spring loaded diaphragm akin to the old plastic ball functionally. The further mistake Audi seems to have made was now burying it in the "V", which got a whole lot more pricy to service when they reversed the head flow so exhaust is in the V and intake is on the outside. That's on Audi and "Art in Engineering" or other slogans du jour, not some periodic maintenance fake story line.

2. If it is a wear part BTW, ask Audi where it is on the service schedule too? Regular change interval? Funny how it isn't there...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve