A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the PCV different with the 3.0? Different location? Not looking forward to dealing with myself considering all the comments.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

My car had a CEL and loud squealing sound when warm.
Dealer says it's PCV valve and about $2K to replace due to the huge labor involved as the parts are buried in the engine.
Checked with Fidelity Warranty (I have the platinum plan) and they have approved the repair.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (02-01-2021)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, Fidelity approved something.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Wow, Fidelity approved something.
I have heard mixed reviews on them. I am told a lot is dependent on the relationship between the service advisor and claims adjuster from Fidelity.

In an older Porsche I used to own they authorized a $22,000 engine :-)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0T PCV

my PCV valve started squealing last night.... I'm dropping it off today at lunchtime. I remember reading this thread recently, so luckily i knew what it was right away.

im in california, so i'll post back what happens.. my car is out of factory warranty by four months - but i have an extended warranty and possibly the CARB enhanced emissions warranty.

from my warranty (what is not covered):

(d) Breakdown of any part which the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has determined to be emission related, which is included
on a current list published by the EPA of such parts, and which is within the EPA time and mileage emissions warranty period.

so it looks like if the emissions warranty doesn't cover it - my extended warranty will pick it up. (Fortegra)

Last edited by pardz_late; 07-28-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

I looked up the part before for the CA emissions warranty. It is not covered according to Audi, though I disagree with the underlying conclusion. The fine point legal debate is whether the part was in general use as of a baseline reference date. To me the problem with their position is while PCV valves have been around forever, this is anything but the simple plastic ball in an orifice $5 part. If I understand part correctly, it has combined the oil separation function and in ways not even on vague drawing boards a couple dozen years ago. I haven't had to service it personally, though also had the fine oil separation set up (trouble free) on D3 W12 as a very early implementation but that also had super easy access to it if something broke. Given Audi's position, nothing can be done about it unless someone wants to take it to court. Hopefully your other warranty covers. If enough claims and enough noise though, maybe somehow a service action/recall ensues. Unfortunately it seems like a recurring theme as the posts roll out on going on 5 year old 4.0T's.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default EPA

I took this EPA pamphlet circa 1992 with me..

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPURL.cgi?Dockey=9101ZSGW.TXT

If I am reading it correctly, it says my PCV valve should be covered... as I am under 50K miles (only 45K) and under 5 yrs old... but I'm sure it will be a fight.

I'll escalate it to wherever necessary... for it to be covered (if the legal information in the pamphlet is still truly applicable).

I could also have it fail a smog test right now (CEL is on) to fall under the "Performance Warranty" aspect of what is described.

Anybody know if this is outdated? It is still on the EPA website and #1 search result for: PCV valve emissions warranty
Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They called and said it is the oil separator and equally as pricey
to replace. Extended warranty approved... won't get car back for a few days.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Angry Q7 PCV issues trying to get it resolved

Looking for seem insight (new to the forum and posting). I have a 2007 Q7 3.6L in which the the pcv recently died. I confirmed by checking the hole on the box which had a high vacuum on it in addition to not being able to get the oil cap off due to high vacuum. Long story short i bought a new membrane and all the parts to do the job, however as i got into it I opt'd not to deal with the fuel rails so i took to a repair shop. Well that has turned out to be a nightmare been going back and forth several gas leaks and a couple missing bolts. But now i see i have oil forming around the spark plug coils and an high positive pressure in the crank case, i actual get oil coming out of the dip stick tube when i remove the dip stick. So i am headed back again, i did do a test from some documents i read on line where i removed the breather hose from the pcv vent side, i plugged it and started the car. Everything ran great, no pressure on dipstick tube and only slight pressure coming from fill cap. Similar to how my TT is set up. This would indicate that potentially the membrane was not installed correctly, thoughts?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Tgrein
Looking for seem insight (new to the forum and posting). I have a 2007 Q7 3.6L in which the the pcv recently died. I confirmed by checking the hole on the box which had a high vacuum on it in addition to not being able to get the oil cap off due to high vacuum. Long story short i bought a new membrane and all the parts to do the job, however as i got into it I opt'd not to deal with the fuel rails so i took to a repair shop. Well that has turned out to be a nightmare been going back and forth several gas leaks and a couple missing bolts. But now i see i have oil forming around the spark plug coils and an high positive pressure in the crank case, i actual get oil coming out of the dip stick tube when i remove the dip stick. So i am headed back again, i did do a test from some documents i read on line where i removed the breather hose from the pcv vent side, i plugged it and started the car. Everything ran great, no pressure on dipstick tube and only slight pressure coming from fill cap. Similar to how my TT is set up. This would indicate that potentially the membrane was not installed correctly, thoughts?
Sorry, this is the forum for the current generation D4 A8/S8. This model Audi does not use the motor referenced either, including in Europe AFAIK. You should post on the Gen 1 Q7 forum.

Quick Reply: Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve