A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 A8 4.0T Cold Air Intake Options??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D4 A8 4.0T Cold Air Intake Options??

Are there any?

Ive searched and maybe Im blind but I don't see any! Will S6/S7 CAI work? Its the same layout?

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are none that I am aware of. From what I understand through my own research even the big aftermarket houses such as APT, ABT, Moshammer etc have not been able to find extra power in either the A8 or S8 with intake modifications OR exhaust. They all seem to be really well optimized by the factory, do you think Audi would leave easy horsepower on the table? I do know the factory has governmental compliance issues to deal with, the easiest way by far is with APR tune IMHO. Lots of us have done them, the results are significant. I did a rear muffler delete on my A8 cause I think it sounds better.....that’s all.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stevereddy > Thank you sir. I have the APR Stage 1 tune also. I have APR cast DPs (lengthened to meet factory back, test pipes since my girls an A8L).

I've just always heard engines are just air pumps. Easier, colder and smoother air in and out makes for a better/happier engine. I cant believe the factory intake is as good as it gets. Especially after looking at the factory DPs compared to the APR units!
Old 02-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking around the 2013 and up S6 and S7 4.0T looks same set up. Anyone try one of those CAI?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Downpipes?

I've been thinking about the downpipes but the horsepower gain per dollar is not nearly as good as the Stage one. How have you liked the upgrade of stage two?
I have looked at the intake situation quite a bit and as you know there is nothing off the shelf. I think obviously it would need custom fabrication, if you did before and after dyno testing you could quantify the results for money spent vs. horsepower/torque gained and at what rpm. Seat of the pants estimate wouldn't work. I believe if there were enough owners of a limited amount of 4.0 A8s that wanted a CAI, somebody would have been to market already.
Having said that, I would be first in line for a proven, attractive and affordable unit. Let us all know how you make out and please let me hear about the downpipes, thanks!
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree fully. As far a stage 2 and downpipes. I got mine used. From a totaled S6. So I didn't pay the $2k. I paid about $300 for DPs and the custom work to have them extended to fit the L. I had them weld V-bands on so that was an up charge. I lucked out big time. Went to buy Rims/Tires and walked away with them and DPs! Here is the bad news. APR tuned my stage 1 to not throw a CEL for DPs but they don't have a Stage 2 tune for the A8! So I like to think im Stage 1.5 LOL. The sound was well worth what I spent and the seat of the pants dyno reads improvement over tune alone. Im having a DPs back custom 3" built this summer. And I may have to look into at a minimum a filter change to a K&N or something.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 to A8 intake swap?

If I remember correctly, the S8 intake is different than the A8, so this might be something to consider for an upgrade on an A8. I just purchased a 2013 S8, so am still learning how these things are built, but have quite a bit of tuning background. If the swap is considered, there may be complications depending on where the MAP or MAF (whichever these cars use) is installed.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by ybnormal07
If I remember correctly, the S8 intake is different than the A8, so this might be something to consider for an upgrade on an A8. I just purchased a 2013 S8, so am still learning how these things are built, but have quite a bit of tuning background. If the swap is considered, there may be complications depending on where the MAP or MAF (whichever these cars use) is installed.
S8 is twinned air boxes vs. single air box for A8 4.0T. Would make any fitment very difficult given all the parts, tubes, etc. involved. RS7 is single box though IIRC, so can explore there. You get into differences with cooling panels fairly quickly IIRC.

As with an earlier post, I doubt there is much here. This is an easy area for Audi to factory optimize to start with as already noted. Many CAI's out there for higher volume makes are also more in the make more noises category rather than true performance--especially anything sucking underhood that might as well be labelled hot air intake/perforamance subtract. Some also mod the air box with some holes as far as the sound component.

Back on performance side, some folks on AZ C7 board are explorng insulating the intake tract. The observation is that for performance, they are mostly noticing heat soak after several runs and then trying to combat it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-21-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
S8 is twinned air boxes vs. single air box for A8 4.0T. Would make any fitment very difficult given all the parts, tubes, etc. involved. RS7 is single box though IIRC, so can explore there. You get into differences with cooling panels fairly quickly IIRC.

As with an earlier post, I doubt there is much here. This is an easy area for Audi to factory optimize to start with as already noted. Many CAI's out there for higher volume makes are also more in the make more noises category rather than true performance--especially anything sucking underhood that might as well be labelled hot air intake/perforamance subtract. Some also mod the air box with some holes as far as the sound component.

Back on performance side, some folks on AZ C7 board are expiring insulating the intake tract. The observation is that for performance, they are mostly noticing heat soak after several runs and then trying to combat it.
How would insulating the intake combat the heat soak? Isn't that usually intercooler related? It would seem that the intake tract/manifold would "insta-cool" at the first massive suck of air. Good points on the intake options. I'm still learning how these things are built. I've been following a few of your thread comments and can tell you are going to be my go-to guy with tech questions! :>)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 72 Likes on 72 Posts

Unfortunately non of our suppliers carry performance air intakes for the 4.0T models, but there is a performance tuner for 2010 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 (many other submodels are supported)
As per the manufacturer, estimated performance improvement is 5-10%

Naak Tuning® - My Genius™ Handheld Programmer

Quick Reply: D4 A8 4.0T Cold Air Intake Options??