A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by audirb
I am speaking in the short run. So, if looking at a new 2017 that's been sitting on the lot for about 6 months or so; what would you expect the dealers discount in say a month vs. now (assuming the car is still there)?
That isn't so much a formula as it the bias and sales mngt of a dealership. Some may slowly slide the price, but then some cars I watch long enough they actually raise the ask after a while and sort of start it again. Obviously come mid summer they will want to be out of any current model year one, so over a period of months they need to get to that sober realism. But meantime it could sell an hour from now. It helps to have a sense of inventory arrival pipeline to really know--sometimes in dialog with a sales guy where I mention a particular color or option I want they start looking through pending arrivals and I can get a sense of that pipeline--plus any ones that may be equipped better than one they have where I may be talking with the sales guy already. If it is a high volume dealer and or/car, cars may cycle through constantly too. If it is their last one or they know it will sell at price they want in any 30-90 day window, they may sit on it. That can happen with some of the Audi R models or a Golf R or some such. Other dealerships seem to have kind of a historical cost in think and just can't bear to drop list price for ages. Then all of a sudden you see them bomb the price, but can't predict when. Lots of variables in here, some logical, some stubborn, some somewhat predictable or common games.

Play too long as a dealer with a narrow market ride, get behind the real market price as a seller and it never moves. I watched an ultra low volume new $150K plus 2015 D4 W12 listed new slowly slide over more than a year to $115K eventually, and still didn't sell. Was listed in the $125-130K range IIRC when I bought my S8 last Spring, but even at $115K it wasn't compelling to me either, as a former D3 W12 owner. Then they washed it somehow on market and it got relisted at 900 miles at some no name place, and now magically "used." Now I see it is listed even today at $99,997 with 987 miles, and it is back at an Audi dealer for listing. Some actual dealer (and/or Audi) has been taking a bath on that one--essentially never moved in two flipping years now. The nightmare scenario for a dealer with a specialty car that gets too ripe. The underlying mistake besides know when to cut losses may have been they ordered it with the light beige interior; not a good color for the showroom floor move 'em along ones that are almost invariably black on black in a W12.

As a buyer on other hand you need to get from tire kicker to buyer at some point--we all do--and negotiate to actually buy. You seldom get last and best number is they don't read you as ready to buy and also could walk in any 10 minutes of negotiation. Sometimes you can get a little more price read if you email in off some web listing they have. Phone and web have been working for me better there in last few cars, even more so maybe whee car is at some distance and they know it needs to be compelling to get your attention w/ the added hassles involved.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-22-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 re the use of email for negotiations. It worked very well for me during a recent deal. You can present your case the way you want to, without interruption,in particular if you can present prices from other sources, and you can study the salesmans reply before further response. And if you do strike a deal, the terms will be in writing. Mike
Old 05-25-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
+1 re the use of email for negotiations. It worked very well for me during a recent deal. You can present your case the way you want to, without interruption,in particular if you can present prices from other sources, and you can study the salesmans reply before further response. And if you do strike a deal, the terms will be in writing. Mike
While it may be disconcerting to some, I have an app that records every phone call. This means that if someone agrees to terms on the phone and later denies it, I can use their own words against them.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
While it may be disconcerting to some, I have an app that records every phone call. This means that if someone agrees to terms on the phone and later denies it, I can use their own words against them.
Did Maryland change the law on parties consent to being recorded? While most states are one party consent states, Maryland and Pennsylvania were not.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know, I'm from Michigan.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But you're in MD?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

At the moment, yes.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So do you record calls while being in MI or MD? Thats the confusion
Old 05-26-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It doesn't matter, it's legal, per Federal law 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(d);

"It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State."

In layman's terms, as long as one person on the call consents, in this case me, it's legal.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Wouldn't go w/ that in CA--or involving a CA resident for that matter. CA is a two party consent state. Federal law does not override state law for things like this AFAIK, and even that provision seems to be talking about only not being illegal under its own related provisions (the "chapter"). It is also a criminal violation in CA--as it would probably be in other states with two party consent--making even that statute seem sort of circular. Having looked at MI once, even murky there as to whether it is a two or one party state.

Back on point, I would get it in writing...and not believe much of anything a sales guy told me that mattered unless it ended up in the deal terms/writing/sales contract.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-26-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: D4 pricing