AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   D5 camouflauged Prototypes caught making their first test "street" runs... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/d5-camouflauged-prototypes-caught-making-their-first-test-street-runs-2900636/)

derfA8L 05-16-2016 12:02 PM

D5 camouflauged Prototypes caught making their first test "street" runs...

2 Attachment(s)
Will hit the streets in Europe in 2017, early 2018 in North America. The camo'd spy shots offer some sense of the design which seems fairly close to what we saw with the unveiling of the Prologue concept. The pics below purported to be the D5 look pretty darn close to the "veiled" spy shots.

Click on Link...2018 Audi A8 spy shots

HouTexAudi 05-16-2016 12:37 PM

I like the update. Hopefully we'll see it here as a 2018 model with a late 2017 release--my '16 S8 2-year lease is up in July, 2017 so my timing to get one might be a little off. I'm sure I could work out a short lease extension if I really want one.

theanimala 05-16-2016 12:46 PM

I hope they don't mess with the interior and make it ultra modern with hardly any physical buttons.... But I do like that exterior. Sign me up for a CPO about 5 years from now!

derfA8L 05-16-2016 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi (Post 24812769)
I like the update. Hopefully we'll see it here as a 2018 model with a late 2017 release--my '16 S8 2-year lease is up in July, 2017 so my timing to get one might be a little off. I'm sure I could work out a short lease extension if I really want one.

Past history would have it slated for Nov'17, but I'm told Spring 2018 U.S. launch this time around. I think with all the advanced tech that will be offered in this next gen model, they want to extend testing and avoid rushing to market . Probably a good thing. Yeah, I'd be looking at a 6-month lease extension, which is about all AFS ever lets it go.

MP4.2+6.0 05-16-2016 02:12 PM

Still looks like it has the ridiculously long nose. Needs a major reduction, along with like 5-700 pounds of pork. Ever notice in the specs for the (now slightly portly) "5 meter" car, fully a meter of it is from the front axle center to the bumper? One of the things that I think continue to make the D4 (or 3 or...) look dated no mater how new it is. Repeating that on the D5 will not be a move forward. Motor in front of axle line doesn't help, but these days when i look underhood there is kind of a ridiculous amount of space well in front of radiator area. Can't all be for crush/crash design.

I do like the style pictures in general--which have been around a while now. And yes, I expect a big rev. on the electronics. Those sell new cars as much as HP these days.

Greg5OH 05-17-2016 03:44 AM

I personally realy like the long nose, and these new prototypes look very sleek and sexy!
the long hood line is a distinct look of class IMO, like the W126 benz at the time.
that low, sleek roofline looks very nice in proportion to the width too.

Asiparks 05-18-2016 01:51 PM

disguise aside it doesn't look proportionally that different from the D4. It seems to lack the visually lower, wider stance and more rakish glasshouse of the concept vehicle.

HouTexAudi 05-18-2016 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Greg5OH (Post 24812990)
I personally realy like the long nose, and these new prototypes look very sleek and sexy!
the long hood line is a distinct look of class IMO, like the W126 benz at the time.
that low, sleek roofline looks very nice in proportion to the width too.

I agree. I have always liked a cab rearward design with a long hood like an '08 Maserati QP Sport GT and an '11 Jaguar XJ Supercharged that I previously owned.

Omeletpants 05-19-2016 10:33 AM

Looks gorgeous

OhNoMrBill 05-19-2016 02:06 PM

The pics you posted would be very nice. However, the pics in the link with black and white artwork is not that shape. It looks like they are doing more refresh like the A6 instead. The roof line is not any different than today's shape. The pic above is must more compressed in the rear roof lines.

I would be a buyer of the above car.