A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cam Power Supply

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob6940

Lower Console gently so you do not damage connected wiring. Take care to use the correct bit to easily remove the bolt.

In retrospect, probably much easier for most folks, and would look almost as good, to route under headliner to the dashcam (no skilled plastic drilling needed).
One more question, did you disconnect the battery while you were doing this work?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Lower Console gently so you do not damage connected wiring. Take care to use the correct bit to easily remove the bolt.

In retrospect, probably much easier for most folks, and would look almost as good, to route under headliner to the dashcam (no skilled plastic drilling needed).
Great solution! Can you tell, if the power source you've choosen is ignition switched or permanent? For the blackvue dashcam models combined with the power magic pro box both an ignition switched and a permanent power source is needed. Can you find both in the overhead console?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the power lead I used (it is 12+V), so you need a transformer in line if your device is not 12V:

If your device is not 12V you will need a transformer in-line to the device. Be sure to add a fuse.

I used this common Ground Terminal for the DashCam's Ground (-) connection.
Hi Bob6940. Im about to install dashcam in my Audi A8 and and removed the console to have a look , your installation looks spot on. Just a bit of advise please.
Is the wire indicated a switched live?
Do I just splice into it?
Is the additional fuse and transformer fitted in the roof console also

Thanks
Old 08-15-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 356 Likes on 260 Posts

Bob6940...you are a good man! Thank you for the pictures, I don't think I could have installed my dashcam without them. It took less than twenty minutes and everything is functioning perfectly.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the black wire a switched live or permanent? How did you connect to it?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It is live all the time. That's what I prefer, as my dashcam has a parking mode. Plus have used an inline module that will shut off power to the camera if the car's voltage drops too low. It is something like this:

Dash cam cable Dash cam cable

I spliced into the power wire...I know, I know everyone might get upset but I used what I had and splicing has always worked for me in the past. what i used was something like this:
Splice kit Splice kit
Old 08-17-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information. Switched live would be better for me. Does anybody know if that is also available from the overhead console?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a switched power source in the fuse panel on the driver's side dash? I have the owner's manual and it lists all the fuses and their associated devices. However none seem to be switched (even though they seem like they should be). What am I missing here? BTW, this is for my phone mount/charger mounted to the left of the steering wheel. I already followed this posting to power my dashcam, THX!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't get the Audi live fuses either- I need a switched and unswitched for my dashcam or the parking guard wont function properly- every fuse in the drivers side panel appears unswitched, even those that don't function when the ignition is off like the rear drivers side window...(Fuse C11)

anybody any ideas for a passenger compartment, switched fuse ?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:13 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

You won't find switched in either of the front fuse locations. You should think about tapping into three possible locations:
  • OBD port underneath driver dash
  • 12v power supply in center console
  • Overhead HomeLink buttons (already covered in this thread)
I used the OBD location for my dash cam.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam Power Supply