A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loaners

Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer loaners

What are they giving you? With my CPO I have had a few things missed when I purchased the car and because I am racking on miles I am going to put new parts on it every chance I get. To tell you the truth, even with the brand new 2018 A5 I've had for a few days I can't wait to return it and get back in my 4 year old A8. I just love big cars that massage my back, I can't help it.

Between it serviced / diagnosed and parts ordered I've had -
​​​16 Q5 (handles well but small)

16 A4 S (what a blast with the dual clutch transmission, best part of the car)

17 A4 S (missed the dual clutch immediately)

17 A6 (nice, lovely lines, small back seat, decent power for a 2.0, engine noise of course)

18 A5 S (love the new dash, it sits really low which I don't like but handles great. Engine powerful for the size but noisy and the transmission is good but no dual clutch)

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 09-17-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in an A6 2.0T right now while my dealer fixes a couple issues. It would make a nice daily driver but isn't fun. The interior also feels pretty focus-grouped--just nice enough to not draw complaints. The plastics (especially around the infotainment controls) are conspicuously lower quality than past Audis.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I was in a new Q7 yesterday and today. I guess I've had the entire product range except R8 and A8.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

2017 Q7 for first service. Not impressed. Thought I would like it, and was envisioning maybe an SQ7 in future. No longer. Less trucky then gen 1. But the yards of fine Corinthian plastic--and for a nice touch the fast food wrappers and kids junk they didn't clean when I tried out the middle seats--reminded me it's a a minivan, in SUV drag like most these days. Had virtual dash, but after about 5 minutes, the wow factor sort of disappeared there, which also surprised me some (note to D5 thoughts...). Hope if they do a Q8 it is a lot more A8 like finish and materials wise. Toyota minivan with std doors and a big hood is not the benchmark.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-16-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only loaner thus far has been a Q7. Back in 2003 I bought a BMW X5 and it was pretty similar. The ride was a bit stiffer than I expected and the seats are very firm. I was not super impressed.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hoping for a Q7 this last service. I wanted to check it out as they are selling like hotcakes. I don't know if it' me or just the dealers around here but I have not seen anything above an A6 as loaners. Happy to say my passenger side motor mount is replaced as well as the rear seat cup holder.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive mentioned something before about the other cars a few months back, but i agree with all here about the other cars being kind of ehhhhh. the couple problems i had with my s8 like slight clunking/squishing sound of front suspension wasnt enough for me to drive anything other than my car. I seriously couldnt wait to get back in there to take back my car even with the small problems i went in there for.

I was in an a6 and q5 and they were both worse than i thought they would be especially when the a6 was probably in the $50k range and q5 being $40k. my hyundai genesis was $53k...paid $43k but this was better than both of them combined. the cheapness i felt in both the audis was a huge disapointment...i cant believe anyone would buy either of these cars new and take a hit on depreciation as they just absolutely feel cheap. these 2 cars reminded me of much cheaper cars...just very plasticy and bland.

hope i dont offend anyone but even the s6, rs7, r8 i looked at just didnt feel like the luxury cars they were meant to be. i know they are more for the performance but still think it should feel a little more luxurious for the price...my s8 plus just feels much better than any rs7 i have been in.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My S8 Has Been In A lot Recently

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
What have are they giving you? With my CPO I have had a few things missed when I purchased the car and because I am racking on miles I am going to put new parts on it every chance I get. To tell you the truth, even with the brand new 2018 A5 I've had for a few days I can't wait to return it and get back in my 4 year old A8. I just love big cars that massage my back, I can't help it.

Between it serviced / diagnosed and parts ordered I've had -
​​​16 Q5 (handles well but small)

16 A4 S (what a blast with the dual clutch transmission, best part of the car)

17 A4 S (missed the dual clutch immediately)

17 A6 (nice, lovely lines, small back seat, decent power for a 2.0, engine noise of course)

18 A5 S (love the new dash, it sits really low which I don't like but handles great. Engine powerful for the size but noisy and the transmission is good but no dual clutch)
So, I've had a lot of loaners:

Q5 - meh, no reason not to get a Lexus RX350
Q7 - Liked the HID, HATED the Lane assist - this technology is not an improvement.
A6 - Looked really cool in blacked out livery. No compelling reason to buy.
A4 Ultra - If this were the first AUDI I had driven, I'd never have bought one. Is this really an AUDI anyone was asking for?
Q5 Frontrack - See A4 Ultra.

And what's with the matte wood grain interiors? Looks as luxury as cheap vinyl wrap to me.

Also Android Auto is not ready for Prime Time.
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bring my A5 in and usually get an A3 or an A4 2.0t. I'm about to order an S4 or an S5, so maybe they up their loaner game when I bring that one in. No complaints tho, as I always had to wait or get a ride with my VW's.

I actually brought my A5 in for a warranty grill replacement yesterday--it delaminated.

Anyway, knowing my lease was soon up, and that I was shopping the S models with my sales consultant who was off, they let me take out, back to back prestige S4 and S5's. All by myself! As they were writing up my service order, a sales assistant threw a plate on each, parked them side by side, told me the keys were in them, and to have at it when I was done with my service order. Very impressive.

I thought driving them back to back would wrap it all up in a bow-tied box for me, but I'm more undecided than ever. I'll have to go back to drive the S5SB that they didn't have configured with my must haves, but that shouldn't be unpleasant either!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've only had my 2014 CPO A8 in once for down pipe replacement to get rid of the 1k and 3k vibration points. I got a 2018 A6 with 300 miles as a loaner. It had the 2.0t. I dunno but drove and felt like a Hyundai to me, loads of cheap plastic, horrible stereo. Noisy underpowered engine. Not impressed at ALL!. I am used to S550, E550 and Lexus LS460......its is obviously built to a lower price point and not the top of the marque, if Audi didn't make the A8 I would still be in a Mercedes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer loaners