A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loaners

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

On a parallel theme, but not about what we each got...

So, I have found if you want to get a better choice, besides building a relationship with your service advisor, you can also increase your chances of getting a better ride other ways. At least enough to avoid the lowly A3 or A4. I have also found at least with my dealer, since they outsourced the loaner car function to Enterprise even with the loaner desk still in their shop, you also get more random cars unless you squeak and/or SA puts in a word for you.

With those in mind, the two (or three) I have found increase chance a lot are:
1. Suck it up and get there for first appt. slot. Like 7:15 or what ever it is. Early bird gets a lot more juicy nice worms...
2. Do #1 and book for a Monday slot, before the cars go out more for multiday. Dealers make a big push to get owner cars back by Friday in any week, so biggest % of loaner fleet is there Monday early on. Failing a Monday slot, go for a late in week slot if it is just a simple single day service type item when the early week jobs for other owners may be done.
3. Flip it completely--if you have a good SA relationship. At least at my dealer, they only officially take cars in the morning...unless you ask side bar. Having done that, I show up at 4 or 4:30 or some such when various loaners come back and go from there.
For the wife who has a Q5 and just wants another Q5, any of these usually work. For the bigger/fancier ones, it is probably #1+#2 that yields best.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Loaners I've had:

A3 2.0T
A4 2.0T
A6 Premium Plus 2.0T, not even a holder for your sunglasses.
Q5 2.0T
Q7 3.0 Prestige

Not a one of them would I ever purchase and put in my garage. Only thing I'd possibly purchase is a Prestige A6 or S6, and with how I'm feeling now, that would be a stretch.

IMO Audi is going downhill with quality and interiors. Lots of snap together ugly plastic that breaks, Failing moving MMI screens, exterior plastic trim literally falling off and poor quality failing sound systems. They need to get with the program. I'm seriously thinking I've bought my last Audi. I'm getting sick and tired of all the issues I've had, failing suspension components, squealing brakes and nagging problems I have to get the dealer fixing.

I have never even taken a Honda (Acura) or Toyota (Lexus) product back to the dealer for warranty work or any work for that matter ever, not even one time!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ls460 is a fantastic car 2013 and up but not as exciting to drive. The 430 was their pinnacle of reliability. Everyone knows Japanese luxury is more reliable and cheaper to maintain but you get a kind of boring car. Plus a cheaper interior.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Loaners I've had:

A3 2.0T
A4 2.0T
A6 Premium Plus 2.0T, not even a holder for your sunglasses.
Q5 2.0T
Q7 3.0 Prestige

Not a one of them would I ever purchase and put in my garage. Only thing I'd possibly purchase is a Prestige A6 or S6, and with how I'm feeling now, that would be a stretch.

IMO Audi is going downhill with quality and interiors. Lots of snap together ugly plastic that breaks, Failing moving MMI screens, exterior plastic trim literally falling off and poor quality failing sound systems. They need to get with the program. I'm seriously thinking I've bought my last Audi. I'm getting sick and tired of all the issues I've had, failing suspension components, squealing brakes and nagging problems I have to get the dealer fixing.

I have never even taken a Honda (Acura) or Toyota (Lexus) product back to the dealer for warranty work or any work for that matter ever, not even one time!
Total nonsense and hysteria. I have had 4 Audi and not experienced a single repair or problem. No rattling or squeaks. The interior of the A6 is nice than the Lexus and BMW equivalent
Old 09-17-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
I've only had my 2014 CPO A8 in once for down pipe replacement to get rid of the 1k and 3k vibration points. I got a 2018 A6 with 300 miles as a loaner. It had the 2.0t. I dunno but drove and felt like a Hyundai to me, loads of cheap plastic, horrible stereo. Noisy underpowered engine. Not impressed at ALL!. I am used to S550, E550 and Lexus LS460......its is obviously built to a lower price point and not the top of the marque, if Audi didn't make the A8 I would still be in a Mercedes!
Interesting that the professional review sites and car magazines praise the Audi 2.0 engine and say it's one of the best. What do you expect, it's a 2.0

It's totally ridiculous that you compare a S550 to an A6 2.0. Get some perspective
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One thing I have learned by driving all these models is the A8 / S8 really is that much better, even older ones. There is no chance I would fork out 50k for a new 4, 5, or 6. I would much rather buy a used 8.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
One thing I have learned by driving all these models is the A8 / S8 really is that much better, even older ones. There is no chance I would fork out 50k for a new 4, 5, or 6. I would much rather buy a used 8.
Totally agree. The 8 series is that much better!

I’ve had loaners that include:
Q7
A7
A8L
A6
Current loaners are always A8L!
Old 09-17-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
And I have never taken any Audi back for warranty work.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer usually gives me an A8. When they are aren't available, I've had a Q5 (OK, bit Meh, wouldn't buy one), A6 2.0 (didn't care for it, as others have said, fall off from A8 was to noticeable).

Local dealer did try and put me in an enterprise rental at one visit - they had a chevy something or other, which I refused to drive and just waited in the dealership instead.
Going in for a scheduled service late next week, so will be interesting to see what they have then.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe I'm not important enough to get an 8 as a loaner... Lol. I would not be surprised if they don't give them out here in NJ given how many terrible / uninsured motorist there are here. I nearly got rear ended on the highway the day I picked up that 18 A5.

Quick Reply: Dealer loaners