A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loaners

Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I don't find the 2.0 a bad engine but if you are used to a lot more power I can see how one would feel it is underpowered. I would not buy an A6 but for the day I drove it around it was not that bad.

With the A8 it seems obvious the 4.0 is more prone to some issues vs the 3.0 But this is only natural as the more complicated you make the engine the more prone it will be to issues.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 09-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
yeah sorry for all the problems you have had with the car...i havent had my 16 s8 plus for too long (6 months) but so far i have put on 20k miles and really no problems. however i do see where you are coming from on the tires wearing out on the inside and the front suspension might have problems. i do have slight clunking in the fronts and tires are wearing quicker on the inside than rest of tires.

but again other than those small issues i havent had any other problems...i love the car so hope i dont run into the problems you are.

why does he have to compare other 2.0t cars? he just doesnt like the 2.0t...just because it was rated high against others doesnt make it a desirable engine. does it perform and put out power while being efficient? sure it does...however i hate that engine lol...always sounds like its whining and is gonna blow up anytime.

i would take the 3.0t over the 2.0 and would take the 4.0 over 3.0 anyday...i know the 2.0 is a good engine for what it is but i will never buy one in a luxury car.
Except he calls it "underpowered" and to be underpowered requires a comparison to other 2.0 engines otherwise there is no basis to an underpowered claim
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Except he calls it "underpowered" and to be underpowered requires a comparison to other 2.0 engines otherwise there is no basis to an underpowered claim
not really...its just his opinion about that specific engine...he can just mean that it doesnt have enough power for that certain car...which i agree. I hate any 4 cylinder engine in any car...i think its underpowered for any vehicle other than maybe a pinto...but again thats just what i think and may not go with what your views are.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

How about we return to any motor found in an A8/S8, or that could even be found in next generation? The one that doesn't make that list is the 2.0T--other than the not ready for primetime D4 FWD Hybrid found only in Europe and China. I own the better implementation of that in the Q5. FWIW and even as an owner, yes it has issues too. Here's is the now miles long thread on the Q5 board as one take off about what are then deep internal motor issues (pistons/rings). Literally viewed over 280,000 times--more than even the TDI thread. I have fingers crossed my 2013 flavor found in the Q5 Hybrid is past various issues the older variants seem to have.

Hopefully we can get back meantime more to the loaner car subject from OP. The one place there seems to be agreement is most anything else is a step down for one reason or another, and few have been excited by the loaner alternative.

As I have posted in D5 contexts, also consider possibility that the "A"8 flavor may not have a V8 on the next go. The trend with all the other Audi bodies so far of sizing motors down one full fitment on a big model re-do. Audi deferred any real specifics about V8's in its D5 announce too. Thus, think new 3.0T (the turbo one, not the being-phased out supercharged found in lots of Audis and the D4) as the likely go forward standard motor. Heck, try to get a loaner with one in it if interested. Only in the latest ones, so not that many and they aren't the base models more likely to be in the loaner fleets either.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I have had success arranging the use of a demo car, as opposed to something out of the the loaner fleet, if I contact my salesman in advance and tell him I'm interested in possibly purchasing a particular model. When I was considering a Cayenne for my wife I asked for and was given a demo Cayenne, twice in fact. I did, indeed, subsequently order a Cayenne. I don't do this if I'm not actively in the market for something.

As to the 2.0, I drove a Macan loaner with that engine, and for the most part it was very good. The not so good part was that the Macan had the PDK transmission , and kick down sometimes dropped several gears, thus exposing the engines thrashing character at high RPM.

We had better get used to 2.0 engines.

Mike
Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in a 2018 Q7 now and frickin love this car! The ride is amazing and for 2.0, the engine is very good. I can pass anyone on the highway with ease and it accelerates very well. And it's appointed very nicely, better than the A8 for sure. I still would rather have my A8 but the Q7 is tempting. And it doesn't ride like a large vehicle at all.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From the Brooklyn dealer, all I ever got was an A3 with STronic. Twice. Pretty fun car to drive considering its so small and the engine wasnt too bad for that car. Definitely not something id buy thogh. Bell audi was much better. Got a A6 once and then last time when i took my A8 in for a recall I got a 2017 A8 3.0T. A6 was like a bigger A3 to drive and the A8 made me want to trade in my 13 A8 4.0T for a facelifted one (Obviously would be a 4.0T though. Too used to the power to go back down). The 3.0T was definitely no slouch though I was impressed by its instant power.

I think it all varies dealer to dealer and my SA at bell audi was in his mid twenties so I guess he understood what I'd want lol
Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
I'm in a 2018 Q7 now and frickin love this car! The ride is amazing and for 2.0, the engine is very good. I can pass anyone on the highway with ease and it accelerates very well. And it's appointed very nicely, better than the A8 for sure. I still would rather have my A8 but the Q7 is tempting. And it doesn't ride like a large vehicle at all.
I like the new Q7 a lot. We had a brand new (<200 miles) Q7 3.0T as a rental car while on vacation in Hawaii back in March and it was a blast to drive. Loved the widescreen MMI as well. Wish we could have gotten an SQ7 (w/ no TDI) in the USA.

I've only had my A8 in for service once so far. The dealer offered me any loaner they had available - I took the brand new A5 Sportback. It was fun to drive for a couple of days, but I was happy to get my A8 back, especially after the downpipe fix.

Last edited by dwboston; 09-19-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

2017 A8L with 2k miles. Key Fob said DEMO on it
Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my A8 in for service last week for the breather valve issue and they had to keep the car over the weekend. I was given a ‘17 A6 2.0. I found the car peppy enough but that 2.0T is just WAY too loud for a car of the A6 caliber. Even modest acceleration from a traffic light I would hear the droning of the 4 banger. Previously I had a new A3 as a loaner and I enjoyed the car. Seems like the 2.0 is more fitting of a smaller car like the A6. With both of those cars I could not wait to get back into the A8. I personally would never buy one of these other cars when for the same money I could have a CPO A8.