A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating between an A8 4.0 and S8 but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating between an A8 4.0 and S8 but..

I should be in the market for a car in the next month or two and I thought I narrowed it down do an A8 4.0. I had an S7 but need space for 3 car seats and the A8 4.0 seemed like a likely fit. But, something keeps drawing me to an S8 and having something with its performance, but in such a stealth mode.

My biggest hangup on pulling the trigger on an S8 is having to get winter tires. I'm in PA and this would be a daily driver for me, even in the winter. I only had my S7 for 1 winter but it had all season tires on it. I would be looking for a 15-16 used S8 and all seem to come with summer tires that I see for sale.

I've read just about every thread from the past few years on winter tires, and it just is confusing to me, a non-technical car guy. Offset, -1 or -2, 21s vs 20s, buying off of ebay, will they fit, how will they actually look, etc.

Am I just over thinking this and is getting a set of winter tires easy? I'm guessing I could just get Audi ones and pay top dollar but I'd also prefer a cheaper route if possible.

I would love any thoughts from owners similar to me who had to get a second set of tires for the first time.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not driven the D4 A8 4.0, but I just bought a 2017 S8+ and had previously owned a 2008 NWB A8 (just traded it in after 9+ years and 155k miles). All season or not, I've always had a second set of wheels with winter tires; it makes a tremendous difference. Granted I'm in New England, but it is not that big a deal and while there is a bit more of an dollar outlay upfront (although a small percentage of the price of the cars we're talking about), you're spreading the tire wear over more tires. Many dealers will store your off-season wheels making it convenient.

There may be other reasons not to get the S8, but I wouldn't let a second set of wheels drive that decision. Happy hunting.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@audirb thanks for the response! Where did you get your winter setup for your S8?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For your back seat needs I would get the A8 L and if you really want that extra power just tune it. Car is quite fast as it is.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by shwank

Am I just over thinking this and is getting a set of winter tires easy? I'm guessing I could just get Audi ones and pay top dollar but I'd also prefer a cheaper route if possible.

I would love any thoughts from owners similar to me who had to get a second set of tires for the first time.

Thanks!
This one...

All you do is buy a set of nice Audi D4 or A7/S7 wheels (same offsets) and mount winter tires. BTDT. If S8, likely 20's, but could be 19's in factory. If 4.0T could be either, or in theory even 18's. Twin 10 20's are kind of a dime a dozen as used wheels. Nice wheels technically actually--among the forged ones so also stronger--but they just don't get the market pricing love. Can find a set of wheels only down to $1000-1200, occasionally even w/ tires. But if A7/S7 (more commonly found), tire size will be D3, not D4. Regardless, findable pretty easily in a variety of styles at rational (used) prices, and then you get the winters of your choice. If you want to drop width too for more severe winters scenarios, there are also Q5 choices where wheels are somewhat narrower but offsets, bolt up, etc. work. Frankly, TR can sell you endless aftermarket or probably even steel wheels if you want to go seriously cheap.

Net, get vehicle you prefer and that works for you, then solve for wheels. It isn't hard on either A8 or S8. It only gets pretty narrowly constrained if you get into the S8 Plus carbon ceramic brakes, or even more so on RS7 with yet bigger CCB's if you have run into some of those threads.

Either SWB (aka NWB) or LWB can work with 3 car seats. BTW, remember thru 2015 there is a SWB A8, including 4.0T. If you will hold car out to where your kids are old/big enough for regular seats, L is great choice. If not really beyond booster seat stage, either. Your sleeper in here may be a SWB A8 4.0T thru 2015. You won't be the only one looking, if you follow threads here for a while for folks in the hunt.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-02-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Audirb I am religiously switching to dedicated Winter wheels (separate rims with tires) every November and back to performance wheels in April.
All seasons are worthless in my opinion, I grew up on autobahns and even though there is no law requiring it, if you have an accident in Winter and have anything but Winter tires, your insurance will dump you and you will be found negligent (Germany).
Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Summer tires are terrible in the snow. No way around it. All seasons do good enough for where I am just south of NYC. I had a set of Blizzacks for my former LS and even though it was rwd it did great in the snow. Really impressive the difference over all season but kind of overkill for me. As MP said, an 19" or 18" if it will fit is ideal for snow tires.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 06-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by audirb
I have not driven the D4 A8 4.0, but I just bought a 2017 S8+ and had previously owned a 2008 NWB A8 (just traded it in after 9+ years and 155k miles). ...
Just checking, but having been through this on D3 to D4, you realize you need to change out any D3 era winter wheels for a D4 fitment? Tire size aside (it's about 1" bigger diameter on D4), they changed the center hole between generations. Bolt pattern is the same, but the center increased. Can kludge with an adapter/spacer, but not ideal.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
For your back seat needs I would get the A8 L and if you really want that extra power just tune it. Car is quite fast as it is.
We had an A8L loaner and loved the size. My odd thought process is.. If I get an A8L.. i'll probably never get the S8 as I would think it's too similar. So.. now or never. Plus my kids are really small for now so it works.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
This one...

All you do is buy a set of nice Audi D4 or A7/S7 wheels (same offsets) and mount winter tires. BTDT. If S8, likely 20's, but could be 19's in factory. If 4.0T could be either, or in theory even 18's. Twin 10 20's are kind of a dime a dozen as used wheels. Nice wheels technically actually--among the forged ones so also stronger--but they just don't get the market pricing love. Can find a set of wheels only down to $1000-1200, occasionally even w/ tires. But if A7/S7 (more commonly found), tire size will be D3, not D4. Regardless, findable pretty easily in a variety of styles at rational (used) prices, and then you get the winters of your choice. If you want to drop width too for more severe winters scenarios, there are also Q5 choices where wheels are somewhat narrower but offsets, bolt up, etc. work. Frankly, TR can sell you endless aftermarket or probably even steel wheels if you want to go seriously cheap.

Net, get vehicle you prefer and that works for you, then solve for wheels. It isn't hard on either A8 or S8. It only gets pretty narrowly constrained if you get into the S8 Plus carbon ceramic brakes, or even more so on RS7 with yet bigger CCB's if you have run into some of those threads.

Either SWB (aka NWB) or LWB can work with 3 car seats. BTW, remember thru 2015 there is a SWB A8, including 4.0T. If you will hold car out to where your kids are old/big enough for regular seats, L is great choice. If not really beyond booster seat stage, either. Your sleeper in here may be a SWB A8 4.0T thru 2015. You won't be the only one looking, if you follow threads here for a while for folks in the hunt.
Thanks for the thoughts. All good stuff. On the A7 / S7, D3 / D4.. so are you saying wheels that fit the A7 will fit a S8 (I wouldn't be looking at a plus most likely)?

And luckily for me, my kids are still very small and by the time they got too cramped, I'd be looking for a new car.. which is why I'm so interested in the S8. I just don't see myself having a second car like a 911 anytime soon based on how often I need to have kids in my car.. so thinking the S8 is my shot for now!

Quick Reply: Debating between an A8 4.0 and S8 but..