A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Audi dealership ever lie to you?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did Audi dealership ever lie to you?

Send to do my 35k service... dealership said my battery needs replacement ($900)

I thought it would be cheap if I install my self so I brought a battery from them ($500)

I went home and plugged my obdevelen.... turn out my battery was fine and had mo issues with it

had anything like this happen to anyone? Any advice?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to an parts supply store (autozone, o'reilly's etc.) and get them to do a battery test. I'm not sure OBDEleven can do a load test to determine the health of the battery.

If the battery is good, return your $500 purchase and take your business elsewhere. Let the service manager know of your concerns and if you have proof of the load test, show it to them.

If you get nothing back then take your business elsewhere and report it to Audi corporate.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Their goal is to make money but the good ones do it satisfying customers.

I would ask the dealer why they believe it is bad. Perhaps ask for a proper charging of the battery then a retest.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi0609
Send to do my 35k service... dealership said my battery needs replacement ($900)

I thought it would be cheap if I install my self so I brought a battery from them ($500)

I went home and plugged my obdevelen.... turn out my battery was fine and had mo issues with it

had anything like this happen to anyone? Any advice?
They aren't called the "stealership" for nothing. See my struggles with the Sioux Falls Audi dealership and my fuel pump. The dealership almost cost me $2600 in unnecessary work.Lesson learned, as-far-as I'm concerned.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

O'Rileys have good and cheap battery for our cars. All of them are made by Warta german company my S8 jad one from Auto zone as my Q7 did. There is no need to give free money to dealership.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I have been very happy with my dealership. Never experienced anything like you are complaining of.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

FWIW, the answer is yes.

But likewise the answer is OBDeleven...or VCDS...is also not sufficient homework either. As stated, you need a load test if you want to try to approach it analytically. And even the results of checking with OBDeleven might themselves be misleading/not consistent with what the dealer saw, to give them some benefit of the doubt. As in, at least from the information posted, you have no idea if the dealer cleared any codes before you then went on to read them afterward. Go in there with guns blazing and you might get the response of, you don't understand Audi diagnostics and dealer typical approach. In particular, if they cleared a bunch of low voltage codes across a lot of modules, that could be an indicator that led them to conclude battery was flaky. They could be an indicator of a battery fading, but likewise they "could" be an indicator of just listening to tunes for an hour here or there with engine off, or ignition (but not engine) on a lot for code reading or modding sessions, or even doors opened repeatedly over a few hours for vigorous detailing work. BTDT on each of these with my D3 and resulting codes. Operator error of exterior lights left on for hours is another one. BTDT too. My acid test for it all nets to, one UN-explained failure (not due to operator use or error...the majority of them if I'm honest) leading to a flat battery and it is on probation, second one and it is summarily replaced.

Oh, and the picture below is the customer coming in for the $2000 clip job. $500 is just a reduced parts counter clip job. A few hundred for me for a quality big boy (sized) battery and 30 minutes to change it and recode. AGM's re somewhat more, but I doubt I could spend $500 even full retail for highest end Interstate. Most available batteries are from only three real manufacturers anyway--Exide, East Penn and Johnson Controls. Most of what else is out there--all the way up to Sears and Interstate and all--ultimately come from one of these three. Audi's are apparently commonly Johnson Controls. The Mini (BMW) I had was Exide underneath, and so on.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-27-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't feel bad. I just paid $410 for a key fob.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spdemon91
Don't feel bad. I just paid $410 for a key fob.
Makes me feel good that I bought Audi Key care for $249 with my CPO's car last May. I have 2 years and undoubtedly will replace one of the fobs unless I lose one first.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh crap does this thread hit home. Me 2014 SQ5 First a question, I was informed that 1. you have to back up your settings before changing the battery, ok understandable. then the big WTF, when a battery is going south the computer tries to adjust the charge accordingly, like the YT%$# computer can't tell you the battery is heading down the toilet???? In my case, literally one day good, next day not so much. So I had a guy come out, cause it was putting out a whopping 3.2v, he backs up the settings, we put in the battery, fun and all's good. Go to the dealer for some warranty repairs, they tell me that the system needs to be told it has a new battery, like WHY the damn thing was too stupid to know it was dying...got the warranty bill...$85 and a ^%$# charge for $210 to tell the damn computer that it had a new battery. ok was I shafted????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did Audi dealership ever lie to you?