AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Discount on 2016 Leftover (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/discount-2016-leftover-2919875/)

Puzz1 05-07-2017 05:28 AM

Discount on 2016 Leftover

My local dealer has a 2016 A8L 4.0 that they are looking to blow out. MSRP is around 97 or 100 and they have marked down to $86k.

A. How much deeper do you think they can be pressed?
B. Is the power and increased room and luxury worth making a change from my 3.0 SWB?

I look at this car as being a luxury version of the S6 of sorts.

Jack88 05-07-2017 05:51 AM

It really depends on your finances and current plans. If money is at all a concern, you will take quite a hit from selling your current car, and the difference between what they will give you and what you will have to pay means financially it doesn't work. But new cars never make sense financially, so take that with a grain of salt. However, if your plan is to soon part with your current car anyway, the A8L 4.0t certainly worth considering over the standard 3.0t, and definitively better than the S6. Also worth considering is waiting until the D5 comes out, given it is now a matter of months. You could order one precisely to your spec, and although you would not be getting a discount, the newer features may be worth the wait.

RSQ9 05-07-2017 06:22 AM

I would wait for the new A8(L), should be coming soon. Even if the LWB of the D5 isn't in your range the much-improved technology and luxury on the D5 would be great. For example, even the current A3's MMI and tech surpasses most of what is found on a loaded A8L. I'm sure you know that though as a fellow MKII Q7 owner, in which the tech is amazing.

Puzz1 05-07-2017 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by RSQ9 (Post 24963875)
I would wait for the new A8(L), should be coming soon. Even if the LWB of the D5 isn't in your range the much-improved technology and luxury on the D5 would be great. For example, even the current A3's MMI and tech surpasses most of what is found on a loaded A8L. I'm sure you know that though as a fellow MKII Q7 owner, in which the tech is amazing.

Yes, the D5 is a consideration as well - but so is the Porsche Macan, so I'm all over the place. Suffice to say that I'm getting bored with my current DD. The only reason why I would consider this 2016 is if I got an amazing deal. At some price, does the sweet deal win out over the new tech in the D5?

cleex024 05-07-2017 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Puzz1 (Post 24963899)
Yes, the D5 is a consideration as well - but so is the Porsche Macan, so I'm all over the place. Suffice to say that I'm getting bored with my current DD. The only reason why I would consider this 2016 is if I got an amazing deal. At some price, does the sweet deal win out over the new tech in the D5?

well ill tell you this...about 3 months ago when i first started looking for a new car the audi dealership had a new white 2016 a8l 4.0t in the showroom and right there on the spot offered me 77k if i was interested...msrp was 95k...and i know if would have taken around 75k. so yes you have a lot of room there...i would offer around 72k and see what they say.

that sounds like a crazy low ball but just know there are tons of deals out there right now on 2016 because a8ls just dont sell even though i think its the best full size sedan out there for the money. also the space thing is up to you...if you need more space in the rear then yes its worth it because the added 4 or 6 inches was extremely noticeable.

MP4.2+6.0 05-07-2017 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Puzz1 (Post 24963899)

Yep, I drove a D3 until only a year ago and had a smile on my face. The extra power of what was then a W12 for me helped even out the scales a lot, as would a 4.0T here. Frankly, 90% of the tech was still "good enough." Nav is Nav until you layer on Waze or something (which car companies would rather die first than let that camel's nose in), Bluetooth is bluetooth, tunes are tunes etc. Digital dash or ginormous iPad screens don't make car go any faster either, and D4 interiors are already at about 98th percentile of anything out there design/quality wise. Can easily already get adaptive, lane assist, etc. Biggest rev is expected to be much higher level of autonomous, if you really care there. I also had a 2012 4.2 loaner for a week with W12 in for last hurrah CPO punch list and I didn't see enough step up to make it worthwhile then. I also try not to touch first year of anything, which from many years of Audi board experience has been relevant to these no different than most any other make either.

Figure 3.0T as supercharged will go away in D5 release in favor of more fuel efficient turbo 3.0T already out. Not so clear on 4.0T to me given its strengths and whether they cut over pronto to the now Porsche lead role on V8's--apparently mostly resulting in just a bit lower motor height as the main driver for packaging and Euro pedestrian crash stuff. Recall on both D3 and D4 first motor carried over into next design in first 2-3 years until they stepped to FSI 4.2 and then 4.0T respectively. Tranny apparently staying 8 speed too through D5, so no acceleration pick up there like there was for D4 over D3 (8 vs 6), or D3 over D2 (6 vs. (bad reliability) 5).

My best guess of my own new car right now would be either a circa 2020 S8, or a ... Q8--as long as it doesn't look ZDX/X6/etc. goofball. On former, as in bugs out first and maybe with whatever the "D5.5" predictable motor + tranny tweak will be. Even as you mention Macan, don't be surprised to see yet more big Audi owners migrate a similar way with the Q8 type scenario as their higher end SUV's get more luxurious, more road worthy and less faux minivan (or truck) with each pass.

LexusLSguy 05-07-2017 08:52 AM

If you are happy with the car and just want more power why not tune it? Then you are not taking a big hit. Obviously, get what makes you happy but for $4k you can make the 3.0t put down more then the stock 4.0t

Mike911A8 05-09-2017 04:10 AM

Puzz, that sort of discount is out there on a 2018 build order D4. I know because I had it on a 2018 S8 Plus scheduled for a June build, which I subsequently cancelled.

Funny thing, one reason I pursued the D4 was my negative reaction to the D5. Bigger and heavier. And I liked my D3 so much that I was considering keeping it for a "beater" if I got the S8, which doesn't say much for my sanity, I suppose.

MP4,the SUV migration factored into my final decision to not buy the S8 because I could eventually take over my wife's Cayenne S, which is very well made, comfortable and powerful. Good chassis, which I suppose is shared with the Q8. I would definitely keep my D3 if I went that route. Cutting edge electronics is not a big deal to me. Give me a N/A V8, and I'll get along just fine, although I've given passing thought to the W12, but the LWB scuttles that.

Mike

davedan 06-02-2017 02:00 PM

Just purchased a 2017 A8L 4.0 with 5,500 mile from dealer in Grapevine Texas. Sticker 96,120 paid 72,500.