A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results: Audi S8 (with mods)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno results: Audi S8 (with mods)

Around a week ago I decided to throw my 2013 Audi S8 with 53k mi onto a dyno to see what it made power-wise. I wasn't disappointed! For modifications I have a Boosted Creations intake (mine is a prototype, will be powdercoated soon, and these are currently for sale). I also have the APR stage 1 tune on it. It has not been walnut blasted (carbon cleaned) yet, and I assume that it would gain a little more if it did so.

The shop ran the car 10 times on the dyno, and the 7th time was when we figured out that we were running it in the wrong gear. 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio; we were running it in 4th.

Since you're all probably waiting to hear the numbers, I attached a dyno sheet below, with pictures of the intakes. I'd say that the intakes are worth the cost, just by looking at how much power they made over just the stage 1 tune.
The S8 ran 520hp(4800rpm) and 596ft-lbs of tq(4400rpm) at the wheels. This was with just the tune.
With the intakes, it made 553hp(4850rpm) and 675ft-lbsof tq(3350rpm) at the wheels.
33hp and 79ft-lbs of tq at wheels gained just by the intake.

I have purchased APR downpipes and will have the shop build a custom valved catback for me. Once that is done, I will be tossing it on the dyno again and seeing how it performs!

The following users liked this post:
09S5 (11-27-2021)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default It still kills me

That such a seemingly unassuming luxury car makes power like this, so badass
Old 05-05-2018, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I’d like to know more about the custom exhaust valve system when you get it done.

Is there noticeable turbo whine with the new intakes?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I’d like to know more about the custom exhaust valve system when you get it done.

Is there noticeable turbo whine with the new intakes?
Not necessarily a whine; the whine you hear with an exhaust. The intakes produce a low frequency rushing of air sound. Not sure exactly how to describe it, but it is definitely loud. Can't hear it in a video because your ears can pick out individual sounds better than a microphone can. When accelerating slowly in lower gears you can hear the air being sucked in. When at a stop in neutral and revving the motor (kind of flooring it and letting off the gas multiple times) you can hear the air recirculating through the bypass valves and the intake. It is very loud. I'd say the closest sound to describe it is like rolling thunder (without the thunder part).
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No brainer...

Originally Posted by j.ms
Not necessarily a whine; the whine you hear with an exhaust. The intakes produce a low frequency rushing of air sound. Not sure exactly how to describe it, but it is definitely loud. Can't hear it in a video because your ears can pick out individual sounds better than a microphone can. When accelerating slowly in lower gears you can hear the air being sucked in. When at a stop in neutral and revving the motor (kind of flooring it and letting off the gas multiple times) you can hear the air recirculating through the bypass valves and the intake. It is very loud. I'd say the closest sound to describe it is like rolling thunder (without the thunder part).
Looks like a no-brainer when it comes to ft-lbs/$. May have to put this ahead of my anticipated exhaust enhancements.

What octane were you running during the dyno test? Just curious - the before/after intake delta tells me all I need to know. I can't help but notice how different these power and torque wheel ratings line up vs. APR's (https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...40tfsi_s8.html). I understand that different dynos yield different results - just trying to normalize the data.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Looks like a no-brainer when it comes to ft-lbs/$. May have to put this ahead of my anticipated exhaust enhancements.

What octane were you running during the dyno test? Just curious - the before/after intake delta tells me all I need to know. I can't help but notice how different these power and torque wheel ratings line up vs. APR's (https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...40tfsi_s8.html). I understand that different dynos yield different results - just trying to normalize the data.
Well as I write this I'm on my way to get stage two done but if there are anybody out there that that thinks I shouldn't do it let me know now. Otherwise I hope it's really worth it...
Old 05-10-2018, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Well as I write this I'm on my way to get stage two done but if there are anybody out there that that thinks I shouldn't do it let me know now. Otherwise I hope it's really worth it...
Do it. You'll love it. Report back!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTAudi
Do it. You'll love it. Report back!
Well I got stg1 and I think I was expecting more because of what people were saying on here... I'm going to go back and put on stg2 and see what happens
Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got stg1 and I think I was expecting more because of what people were saying on here... I'm going to go back and put on stg2 and see what happens
Many people have reported that the car takes several days to adjust to the new tune. If you want, drive it hard for a couple days and see if you notice a difference.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in the same boat, only had stage 1 for a month or 2 and then went all in. I'm glad I did

Quick Reply: Dyno results: Audi S8 (with mods)