A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results: Audi S8 (with mods)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intakes look insane! Please tell me that Boosted Creations is making an intake kit for the A8 with a 4.0L I know they would sell like hot cakes since NO ONE makes one!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTAudi
I was in the same boat, only had stage 1 for a month or 2 and then went all in. I'm glad I did
So when I got stg1 yesterday it didn't feel as strong as I thought with all the comments saying how awesome it was. It started to feel a little better today but then I got stg2 and wow... This is much faster.

I don't get why stg2 feels so much faster when stock to stg1 gets a much bigger gain than stg1 to stg2. Either way it definitely is much faster and feels great... Glad I got stg2
Old 05-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Looks like a no-brainer when it comes to ft-lbs/$. May have to put this ahead of my anticipated exhaust enhancements.

What octane were you running during the dyno test? Just curious - the before/after intake delta tells me all I need to know. I can't help but notice how different these power and torque wheel ratings line up vs. APR's (https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...40tfsi_s8.html). I understand that different dynos yield different results - just trying to normalize the data.
I was running 93 octane, Speedway gas. My car also has over 50k mi on it.. so that might be the case as to why it makes a little less than it should. I have the APR downpipes, just waiting on some cash to free up that way I can make a custom valved catback and install all those parts.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gilly44
Intakes look insane! Please tell me that Boosted Creations is making an intake kit for the A8 with a 4.0L I know they would sell like hot cakes since NO ONE makes one!
I can ask, they'd need a D4 4.0 to make them on though. Unless an S6/S7/RS7 intake fits on them, which I'm sure should fit. They sell intakes for the S6/S7/RS7 also, if you'd like to check it out on their website. Power ratings are on there also. I don't see why they wouldn't fit, it's the same motor with the same turbos I'm fairly certain.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smills1840
Many people have reported that the car takes several days to adjust to the new tune. If you want, drive it hard for a couple days and see if you notice a difference.
I drove mine for about 500mi or so after the stage 1 tune and the intakes were installed, then we put it on the dyno. The most power made was after multiple runs on the dyno already, so the ECU had more than likely adjusted at that point. Just give it a few pulls down the street into the triple digits and it'll learn.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stage 2 over Stage 1

Originally Posted by cleex024
So when I got stg1 yesterday it didn't feel as strong as I thought with all the comments saying how awesome it was. It started to feel a little better today but then I got stg2 and wow... This is much faster.

I don't get why stg2 feels so much faster when stock to stg1 gets a much bigger gain than stg1 to stg2. Either way it definitely is much faster and feels great... Glad I got stg2
These charts illustrate the difference. It's the area under the curve - so you're feeling the delta in HP and torque over a rev-range. These charts are NOT traditional HP and torque curves. They show the variance between Stage 1 vs Stock (left) and Stage 2 vs. Stock (right). Notice how much higher the torque difference is (white line) Stage 2 vs. Stage 1. Huge. The reason is that with Stage 1, you've created significantly more airflow under WOT and the stock exhaust isn't designed to handle that velocity of airflow. Tuning the exhaust to match the engine performance "frees" up potential power, allowing that animal to breathe (think of the stock exhaust as an exhaust restrictor plate - not dissimilar to the intake restrictor plates on carburated race cars to normalize engine outputs).

Left = Variance Stage 1 vs. Stock Right = Variance Stage 2 vs. Stock
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
These charts illustrate the difference. It's the area under the curve - so you're feeling the delta in HP and torque over a rev-range. These charts are NOT traditional HP and torque curves. They show the variance between Stage 1 vs Stock (left) and Stage 2 vs. Stock (right). Notice how much higher the torque difference is (white line) Stage 2 vs. Stage 1. Huge. The reason is that with Stage 1, you've created significantly more airflow under WOT and the stock exhaust isn't designed to handle that velocity of airflow. Tuning the exhaust to match the engine performance "frees" up potential power, allowing that animal to breathe (think of the stock exhaust as an exhaust restrictor plate - not dissimilar to the intake restrictor plates on carburated race cars to normalize engine outputs).

Left = Variance Stage 1 vs. Stock Right = Variance Stage 2 vs. Stock
This makes me want to get my exhaust done on the car asap. The APR downpipes are sitting and waiting to be installed in the garage...
Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by j.ms
This makes me want to get my exhaust done on the car asap. The APR downpipes are sitting and waiting to be installed in the garage...
The intakes look awesome and obviously provide a HP and TQ increase.

Are you concerned at all about the air to fuel ratio being off on the stage 2 tune since APR didn’t factor in your added air flow? Or do you think the ECU will compensate? I want those intakes!

Last edited by BTAudi; 05-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BTAudi

The intakes look awesome and obviously provide a HP and TQ increase.

Are you concerned at all about the air to fuel ratio being off on the stage 2 tune since APR didn’t factor in your added air flow? Or do you think the ECU will compensate? I want those intakes!
Thankfully these vehicles don't use a MAF sensor as my previous vehicle did. The Subaru required a tune no matter what you did to the airflow. The reason why you need a stage 2 tune for the downpipes in this vehicle because of the O2 sensors reading the air ratios. The intake doesn't due to not having a MAF sensor. It runs off of a speed density sensor, which allows the ECU to learn and adjust parameters depending on how much airflow is entering the intakes, thus, the more air, the more fuel, and the more power it makes. In short, the ECU does compensate for the extra airflow, and will more than likely add even more power due to the extra air (exhaust) leaving the exhaust side. More air leaving = more air that the motor needs = more air that it pulls in = more power! If I'm wrong, someone correct me. Once I get this exhaust all finished I'll have it dynoed with the intakes and see how much it makes.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You sold me. Intakes are next.

Quick Reply: Dyno results: Audi S8 (with mods)