A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enabling Google Earth on a 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enabling Google Earth on a 2011?

My car doesn't have Google Earth or a SIM card slot, but when I go into the hidden green menu I see options for google earth. I enabled one and started the other but no change. I've seen a thread for enabling earth on a Canadian A3/A4 by using VCDS and your phones hotspot. Can this be done by tinkering with VCDS and or the MMI?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you ever get anywhere with this ? I just bought a 2011 A8L and it doesn't have the package to get Google Earth.
Do you know the name of the package ?
What is the hidden green screen ?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by readheads
Did you ever get anywhere with this ? I just bought a 2011 A8L and it doesn't have the package to get Google Earth.
Do you know the name of the package ?
What is the hidden green screen ?
No luck yet, I've heard that this wasn't available for the US 2011my. The hidden green screen is in the MMI and has to be activated using VCDS.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Google maps on 2011 MMI

This can definitely be done. I've done it on two 2011 D4s. I've intended to document the process for a couple of years but can't seem to find the time finish the document.

There are two methods I'm aware of. Both methods require the use of a Ross Tech VAG-COM diagnostic cable and the associated VCDS software and an Audi OEM AMI to USB cable. The Ross Tech tools can be purchased here store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS. The AMI USB cable can be purchased from Audi. It is important not to buy the cheap Chinese knockoffs avalaible on Amazon for either the diagnostic cable or the AMI cable. This is your basic price of entry. No way around it.

Method 1: The easiest but most expensive method is to purchase the Tether Box V2 from MMI TetherBox v2 | autofidelity. I have no experience with the product and no affiliation with The company.

Method 2: The is the method I used which can be found at the followimg Audizine thread Audi 3GP MMI Onlineservices via Tethering. Read the entire thread. This method is far more complex (fun) but much less expensive than method #1. It also requires at least a basic understanding of LAN/WAN networking and wireless telecomm.

The keys to making method #2 work are using the correct WISP enabled router and finding the right passive USB 2.0 hub (not SIN 3.0). I use a TP-Link router. I will post again in about an hour with the specific model before I leave for the gym this morning. Note that the power provided through the AMI is very limited and the total power draw through the USB hub may not exceed the power supplied by the AMI or It won't work. Even with the correct setup, you will be very near the max power draw. Also, finding a USB 2.0 hub (not USB 3.0) that works is hit and miss. Even though I was using the correct router configured properly and the correct USB to Ethernet converter, I went through 4 different passive USB 2.0 hubs before I found one that worked without overloading the AMI. To solve the static IP address issue I just used my Verizon Jetpack 4G mobile hotspot plugged into a cigarette lighter USB charger.

Perhaps I'll find time one of these days to finish the document but likely not until after the first of the year.

Happy hacking!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One more thing... Although you will have Google Maps and online destinations, weather, news, etc. You will not have an actual Audi connect account. This means you will not be able to send destinations to the system from you PC or phone or be able to change the news media sources from their default settings.

This was not a problem for me. I just hit the voice prompt and say "online destinations" followed by where I want to go. It's pure magic and works flawlessly.

Unfortunately, Audi will not give you an Audi Connect account unless your VIN indicates you have a built in SIM, which our 2011 US models do not. I've tried. Audi America can be a real buzz kill sometimes...
Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What about this Note 5 mirroring wireless setup ?

Workoholic ---

I've been looking into it and am just about buying the stuff.

Samsung Note5 TO Chromecast (wifi not needed) TO HDMI/RCA adapter TO Audi AMI RCA type

Of course power and VIM VAGCOM mod is needed. The "cig lighter to dual 2.1 amp USB power plug adapter" can be used and I just found out how to easily remove the arm rest storage pit in order to hardware another dual USB power by tapping into the rear cig lighter.

WDYT ?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Readheads, sounds like an interesting hack. Please let us know how it goes. Document and share your experience if you can. One of my favorite features of the D4 is it's so hackable. I enjoy finding benaficial unintended uses for tech.

The only fly in the ointment is I live in California where there are strict laws in place to prevent distracted driving. You are not permitted to even touch your phone while driving unless it is mounted to the dash or windscreen. Even then, you are only permitted a single touch or swipe. You are also not permitted to mount anything larger than a 7 inch screen (no tablets).

I completely forgot to respond with My TP-Link model. It is the TL-MR3040. I ended up using a generic three port USB hub I picked up at Bestbuy for a few dollars.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea so many programmable features can be made on the A8! Glad I joined the forum!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cdwatnsu
I had no idea so many programmable features can be made on the A8! Glad I joined the forum!
There are also some cool HW items to easily add. Like you are probably aware for as much as the 2011 A8L added cool features (like stop and go adaptive cruise, night vision and full LED) they did not add USB power anywhere (although there are plenty of cig lighters). Below are 2 pics where I bought a USB add on which I will add to inside the center arm rest storage compartment for USB power (hardwired to the rear cig lighter). I like simple elegance and will be also be powering (hopefully) my Note5 for wireless mirroring to MMI for Waze/Google maps traffic from the storage compartment. Also want to do wireless charging from the center cup holders in which my Note5 happens to sit perfectly. I will worry about where to put my coffee cup later -- LOL. Anyway, it is a bit of fun happening in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails Enabling Google Earth on a 2011?-usb.jpg   Enabling Google Earth on a 2011?-z.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Workoholic
This can definitely be done. I've done it on two 2011 D4s. I've intended to document the process for a couple of years but can't seem to find the time finish the document.

There are two methods I'm aware of. Both methods require the use of a Ross Tech VAG-COM diagnostic cable and the associated VCDS software and an Audi OEM AMI to USB cable. The Ross Tech tools can be purchased here store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS. The AMI USB cable can be purchased from Audi. It is important not to buy the cheap Chinese knockoffs avalaible on Amazon for either the diagnostic cable or the AMI cable. This is your basic price of entry. No way around it.

Method 1: The easiest but most expensive method is to purchase the Tether Box V2 from MMI TetherBox v2 autofidelity. I have no experience with the product and no affiliation with The company.

Method 2: The is the method I used which can be found at the followimg Audizine thread Audi 3GP MMI Onlineservices via Tethering. Read the entire thread. This method is far more complex (fun) but much less expensive than method #1. It also requires at least a basic understanding of LAN/WAN networking and wireless telecomm.

The keys to making method #2 work are using the correct WISP enabled router and finding the right passive USB 2.0 hub (not SIN 3.0). I use a TP-Link router. I will post again in about an hour with the specific model before I leave for the gym this morning. Note that the power provided through the AMI is very limited and the total power draw through the USB hub may not exceed the power supplied by the AMI or It won't work. Even with the correct setup, you will be very near the max power draw. Also, finding a USB 2.0 hub (not USB 3.0) that works is hit and miss. Even though I was using the correct router configured properly and the correct USB to Ethernet converter, I went through 4 different passive USB 2.0 hubs before I found one that worked without overloading the AMI. To solve the static IP address issue I just used my Verizon Jetpack 4G mobile hotspot plugged into a cigarette lighter USB charger.

Perhaps I'll find time one of these days to finish the document but likely not until after the first of the year.

Happy hacking!
I did this awhile back on my father's Q5 3.0T and MDKD5 wrote about it extensively on the C7 forum, as well as on his own site here: https://thetechycorner.wordpress.com...-google-earth/

It's actually not that difficult and if you buy the components and follow the instructions its about a $100 and a world of difference

Quick Reply: Enabling Google Earth on a 2011?