A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light Flashing and EPC light on Engine Running Rough Audi S8 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Light Flashing and EPC light on Engine Running Rough Audi S8 2013

2013 Audi S8 with APR tuning package.

Hello my first post on Audiworld. Really need some help as the Audi people in Canada do not have enough depth to deal with this issue:

The engine light started flashing and EPC light came on, redline went down to 4000rpm. Engine runs rough like the timing is off...

I took it to Audi and they made the following repairs with no success:
""
> After replacing the 16 rocker arms on the right hand side and the 4
> cam adjusters/solenoids and reassembling everything and cleaning each
> component that was removed the engine is now running well. Also all the sensors associated with timing and Cylinder Shutoff System.
>
> Audi Technician is concerned that the tune that was applied to the ECM (engine
> control
> module) in the past could have influenced this. He does state that if
> the condition were to reoccur in the future the ECM would need to be
> replaced in order to remove the tune. Unfortunately this would reduce
> the power back to stock specs but it would then be much easier to
> diagnose any further issues and it would be unlikely we would have
> extended visits to the shop like this one. Any tuned vehicle creates
> serious problems when trying to diagnose and repair at the dealer-level.
>
>""

Here are the faults from the APR Mobile Module, see the attached photos.

It appears like cylinder misfires and timing problems... The problem seems to come up when I am switching between 8 and 4 cylinders. If I drive in paddle shifting mode none of the alarms come in. If I try Sport mode the alarms still come in...

This is a big hassle and could use some advice. Not very much support from Audi Canada.

I had Concept 1(APR dealer in Calgary, Alberta) fully analyze the issues. They looked at the codes and upgraded the APR software to the latest version. Codes came back. They removed the APR package completely, again the codes came back. Both after about 30 to 40mins of driving.

Their suggestions as follows:

1. A known issue exists for the car - software updates exist - and the TSB's are there to help Audi Technicians get to the root cause of a problem quickly. If the car is under warranty - then both the software update and drivetrain work related to the TSB's would rate consideration for warranty.

2. Did APR cause the problem? - the answer is no - issues pre-existed with the car so APR did not create the problem. APR does enhance the cars performance and in the right circumstances might push the car into a failure - however this is very unlikely. No failure was confirmed by Audi based on the work they completed.

3. APR is known to VW / Audi and we get many of there own team coming to us for the software and in some cases hardware to enhance the vehicle.

A prime example of a known issue is with the 2.0L Audi / VW engine from 07 -10 that starts to consume vast amounts of oil due to internal wear. VW/Audi are aware of the issue - and have covered many engines still under warranty (and I'm going to guess some outside of it (at least partially).

-------------/// end email //////--------------

I ended up paying Audi $3600 they said was my cost to solve an APR caused issue.... If we replace the ECU, I have to spend another $2600. This does not seem fair based on the above investigation by APR(Concept 1). The APR package caused no problem to the engine or ECU nor is there known feedback from other APR users that issues have been caused.

APR is not convinced that replacing the ECU will solve the problem. To me even the $3600 spend was going down a rabbit hole of spending that went nowhere. The exact same codes are returning and the engine is acting the exact same way.

It is a real hassle, I have to take small trips ONLY or I have to pull over and wait for codes to reset. Then rinse repeat.... The engine runs fine if I run in paddleshift mode only...

Help from anyone? Anyone seen this issue?

Regards, Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Engine Light Flashing and EPC light on Engine Running Rough Audi S8 2013-img_1539.png   Engine Light Flashing and EPC light on Engine Running Rough Audi S8 2013-img_1540.png  
Old 01-21-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I couldn't sort this, other than to say even having zero to do w/ Audi in any way ever, I find APR's position hard to agree with. S8's stock work. You don't typically see stuff like this. Only thing that comes to my mind from a stock S8/4.0T perspective is the weird issue they are having with the coolant leaking into the harness. Leads to a screwed up ECU. See this long thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...rness-2862459/ It started as a TSB and has become a recall. Sort it through and see if it may apply to yours.

After you check into this, if that doesn't help you might want to post to the Audizine board for the C7 S6/S7/RS7. Because that board is merged together across several vehicle and the nature of AZ posters (can be more brash but more likely to mod, etc.), you may find some help or info there. There are definitely some who have chipped w/APR. The D4 board there for A8/S8 is basically dead, but the RS7 and S8 are close enough for the APR type questions.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Appreciate your response. I will look into that.

I will attempt to reword so that my post is clear...

Thanks, Kurt
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the coolant valve leaking. Should be a quick and easy check. I think it was sometime during the 2013 model year that they changed the valves.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Wasn't aware that the 4.0T was susceptible to the coolant leak into ECU issue that has been problematic with the 4.2 V8. At least I can't recall seeing any posts with this coolant valve failure affecting the 4.0T V8 (to date, anyway).
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP what ever happened?