AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Engine RPM Clatter (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/engine-rpm-clatter-2966079/)

fortythieves 01-24-2019 08:14 AM

Engine RPM Clatter

2011 A8L 4.2v8 with 76k miles. Noticing a very subtle clattering noise that increases with engine rpm. It’s very annoying in an otherwise hush cabin. Not audible at higher speeds because other noises, such as road, mask it. Sounds almost diesel like. Dealer is trying to tell me ‘they all make this sound’, which is hard for me to believe.

dgbaudiphile 01-24-2019 09:28 AM

Have you had your timing belt replaced?

fortythieves 01-24-2019 09:37 AM

Doesn't this car have a chain rather than a belt?

fortythieves 01-24-2019 09:44 AM

Unfortunately, the audio gets diminished on uploading to youtube, but you can sort of hear it at the 3 second mark and beyond:

fortythieves 01-24-2019 10:26 AM

The noise, according to the Audi dealer, is "a normal noise - the cam actuators for the timing chains". If that's true, I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this, especially given how expensive this car was originally.

sushistrip 01-24-2019 10:32 AM

I would have someone in the car hold the rpms at different points while you poke your head under the hood and try and isolate the noise.

FA8L 01-24-2019 10:36 AM

You’re correct in this being chain driven. This might possibly be the chain guides/tensioners. The chain is in the rear facing the firewall which could explain why you can hear it with little road noise to mask it.

Its a familiar sound as I just had my guides go on my 98 740iL. Completely unrelated vehicle but the sound is familiar.

Do you hear this consistently or on cold start?

fortythieves 01-24-2019 01:28 PM

I hear it consistently. They claim what I’m hearing to be the cam actuators for the timing chain. In that light, is this something that people just learn to live with? I was unable to hear it outside the car with the hood up, or while driving along a wall or something that could reflect the sound. Yes, it seems like whatever part produces this noise is very close to the firewall, explaining why it’s almost impossible to hear externally over the sound of the engine running.

FA8L 01-24-2019 02:52 PM

Well maybe someone else can chime in with another suggestion or idea as to what this sound could be. If it truly is the tensioner/guides it is something that will inevitably need replacing. Regular oil changes is recommended just to keep the wear to a minimum but it will by no means stop the need to replace them.

Do you have a trusted Indy you could take it to?

fortythieves 01-24-2019 04:03 PM

Thanks for the insight. Yes, definitely have a good independent Audi mechanic here, so I’m covered in that light. I guess I’m just surprised that these things need to be replaced given all the talk of “chains should last the life of the engine”, etc that I hear. Maybe the prior owners did a bad job of regular oil changes. I hope with a new chain, tension era, etc that the noise will go away.

Its great to to see such an involved Audi community online. Really makes me glad I bought the car (even though it won’t be cheap to maintain).