A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever bought a Manufacturer Buy-Back car?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever bought a Manufacturer Buy-Back car?

Has anyone ever bought a manufacturer buy-back/lemon car? If so, did you have any problems issues. I have heard that most of these cars are repaired and the warranty was renewed or extended by the Manufacturer.
Any input would be helpful, thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, hellz no.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't even think about it. The mere fact it is a lemon says it all. If the manufacturer could fix it in the first place, they would not have allowed to buy it back from its previous owner.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Don't even think about it. The mere fact it is a lemon says it all. If the manufacturer could fix it in the first place, they would not have allowed to buy it back from its previous owner.
That's not exactly true, it just means that after several visits, it still wasn't fixed. Doesn't mean they didn't find it in the end. Bottom line, it really depends on why it was bought back as to whether or not I would consider it. If you can't find that information out, let it be.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
That's not exactly true, it just means that after several visits, it still wasn't fixed. Doesn't mean they didn't find it in the end.
While what you said is true, why take that risk? If the manufacturer and their dealer could not fix it after several visits, won't that be a red flag to anyone? I do not think anyone would trust it even if the manufacturer ripped everything apart to resolve the nagging issue. Any manufacturer won't spend time and money on it especially if the problem is an isolated one, i.e. not a widespread issue.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

and I'm guessing it won't have a good title for it, possibly salvage, so you'll never be able to resell that sucker.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
and I'm guessing it won't have a good title for it, possibly salvage, so you'll never be able to resell that sucker.

Actually the title is clear since the car was "fixed" and resold to the current owner. Does not state buy-back lemon on the title when it was re-warranted.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Three years ago we bought a 13 Wrangler that was a lemon law buy back at a significant discount. It was from CA which has very strict laws. This car had a stability control issue that couldn't be fixed by a dealer and was lemoned as a result.
It was fixed by Jeep and sold to us with a extra 12 months bumper to bumper warranty. About 6 months later it did it again. ESC light and ABS lights on.
Our dealer here in IA diagnosed it and fixed it in less than a day.
No problems since. I think it all depends on why it was lemoned and what the repairs involved.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some lemon law cars are bought back by the manufacturer because a particular dealer's service department was not competent or because the owner was a habitual complainer with an underlying motive such as debt problems and wanting out of the car.

If details can be determined, an extended warranty is provided, and the price is right a lemon law car could be a bargain.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess, it is not worth it to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever bought a Manufacturer Buy-Back car?