AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Exhaust tip corrosion is severe (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/exhaust-tip-corrosion-severe-2884757/)

KnappAttack 06-22-2015 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by L0U (Post 24698607)
I'll ask about it the next time I'm in for service. I think it's for paint.

Yes, and only if the rust corrodes thru a panel.

khoushedS8 06-25-2015 08:08 PM

my 2013 S8 suffer from carbon build up does this mean the engine runs rich ? why the carbon keep building up

i got few cars with chrome tips but never build as fast as the S8

L0U 06-26-2015 05:22 AM

Runs rich when on the boost, (people comment they can smell it burning rich from behind if I punch it on the highway). Also uses a bit of oil due between changes. I'm down 1 litre in 15k Kms. Pretty normal on turbo engines.

Chip tune might get rid of excessive rich areas.

richard-tx 06-26-2015 08:00 AM

If it were mine I would look into the excessively rich issue during boost. To me that usually means a leak between the turbo and intercooler or between the intercooler and the engine. Sometimes the only way to find a leaky hose is to remove it and inspect it.

Excessively rich during boost was a common symptom of a leaky hose on the Audi 20 valve turbo engines. In almost every case, the intercooler to intake hose cracked and was leaking under boost causing the too rich condition.

richard-tx 06-26-2015 08:13 AM

Another way to verify is to install a boost gauge at least temporarily. If you cannot attain proper boost levels, then it is time to find out why.

khoushedS8 06-27-2015 06:25 AM

my car is only 13,000 KM on odometer so i do not think their will be any leak on an engine with not a lot of milage

L0U, any specific chip tune you recommend ?

eric strauss 06-27-2015 10:43 AM

I don't have a 8-Series...

... but eight other Audi's have passed through my garage. I too, like the exhaust tips to be shiny and do them every time I clean the wheels or detail the car. I have found the "chrome" finish to be frustratingly fragile. However, if you wipe them every few days, the black soot stays pretty much on the surface and removes easily. I spray the tips with Griot's Speed Shine or waterless car wash (when they are cool!) and then wipe clean. I don't wipe them with a dry towel as they will scratch or just wear off.

I used to have Saab Aero's with Remus exhausts and polished tips - they were bombproof - but, that was aftermarket. If you look at other premium cars, the polished tips are usually filthy - so I suppose we are in a minority.

Good luck

Eric

L0U 06-27-2015 11:27 AM

I am leaning towards the giac tune since it is a plug and play type. apr has a version 2 out, but I am not going to go to a dealer every time I want to add or remove the tune. With giac you have the actual tool that's used.

Obd2 port cable.

Jack88 06-28-2015 05:54 PM

I clean up the exhaust tips every couple of weeks. There is some permanent corrosion, but it's not obvious unless you get close. I just aim to minimize it for the future, seems to be working.