A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Extended warranty

Has anyone been able to bargain with dealer on prepaid service package or extended service warranty? Just bought 2017 A8 6 cylinder with 1500 miles from 3rd party dealer.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

They are all negotiable (depending on the dealer). Some will start high and come down, others might just start at their lowest.
Phone around several dealerships, all they need is your VIN and mileage I believe.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Extended Warranty

Thanks. Will try that.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley50
Thanks. Will try that.
So how did that go?
When I bought my CPO last week they offered me a 2 year post CPO extension for $5000. I declined.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
So how did that go?
When I bought my CPO last week they offered me a 2 year post CPO extension for $5000. I declined.
So, if you bought CPO last week, "which" CPO did you get? As in, within the past month, they moved CPO from a total of 6 years possible coverage w/ a deductible and miles limit, down to 5 years without deductible and with a (seldom exceeded) miles limit. Basically, they halved the coverage in plain English. Be sure you realized what the coverage was, since Audi quietly changed it and any Board post you read essentially still is talking about the 6 year flavor like I have, not the cheapened flavor.

For pre-paid service, AFAIK that is all pretty standard pricing, and that agrees with years of threads across several model boards. In turn, it depends on where you are as far as its value. Thus, in high labor rate market like mine, it makes more sense. In lower rate markets it isn't that compelling, especially if you view the minor non-tune up intervals as little more than a glorified oil change, with a occasional HVAC cabin filter that takes less than 10 min to change once you have done it one, and a brake fluid flush every two years.

For insurance, there is no real Audi based plan post CPO. Many dealers sell a product that ultimately comes from Fidelity. Might be some others too. They will have the usual metal naming from Platinum to whatever. Pick on the spectrum, but common advice for Audis is go for the top rung. You want the "exclusionary" type--everything covered UNLESS it is on an excluded list you can read through. The inclusionary type that has the endless (quasi worthless) list starting with like crankshaft is often more a bait and switch to figure out what is not covered but often are the worry areas. Still have to watch out for wear and tear definitions--really carefully on stuff like suspension bits and with air ride of D4 and all. On warranties, the service guys also sometimes sell them. Those can be offered at better pricing from my own experience than the "finance desk" when you first purchase. From what I have been pitched on Audis, often can be bought at even the high coverage levels out to75K miles, though I think car should be under warranty when purchased IIRC. As a DIY'er, they haven't penciled out for me, but on an older Audi you likely want to 1. learn/know DIY and diagnostics + own VCDS, 2. have a good warranty, 3. move on to new ride or 4. have a thick wallet.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-13-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 AM
D4 in PA

The dealer actually contacted me before I made the 4 + hour trip to let me know Audi had changed the CPO terms.... it was almost a deal breaker, but for my driving needs starting with 19k and the in-service date, it meant potentially staying in warranty up to about 58k vs the new constraint which will probably expire around 48k..... the mileage was the parameter I focused on. My experience with my D3 was expensive bits started to fail around 75-80k, like water pumps, suspensions and their ilk. It had an after-market extended warranty that cost $3500 in 2012 and I had used it three time before trading the car at 105k. I broke even on it which I consider a "win" (just like in Vegas when you leave with what you brought). What do you consider a high labor cost? Ours is around $120/hr, and of course there is always the independent shop option once the CPO expires.

Thanks for the great info!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Used internet to buy Audi 10 yr/100k and 50k maintainence . Asked for Finance department each time and best price. Advised i was out of state internet buyer. Dealer seemed a little perplexed and surprised but I got a deal. Compared to 3rd party vendors. Got discount on warranty but not prepaid maintenance.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a near mint-condition A8 D4 (2013) from a dealer in Mission Viejo, CA and got an extended warranty package (for peace of mind). It's basically drivetrain/engine fo 2 years/24,000 miles, for about $3600. Kinda high, but they threw in some detailing package (ceramic paint coating, interior detail) and interior repair protection (in case of major rips and tears). It only added $40 to my monthly payment.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:44 PM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by Smiley50
Used internet to buy Audi 10 yr/100k and 50k maintainence . Asked for Finance department each time and best price. Advised i was out of state internet buyer. Dealer seemed a little perplexed and surprised but I got a deal. Compared to 3rd party vendors. Got discount on warranty but not prepaid maintenance.
What did you pay?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default extended warranty

$5460.00 10 year $0 deductible warranty and $1179.00 prepaid maintenance. Platinum Plan

Last edited by Smiley50; 05-31-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Add info

Quick Reply: Extended warranty