AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Finally. The D5. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/finally-d5-2924382/)

jetinder 07-11-2017 01:03 AM

Finally. The D5.

Well, as expected, it's an evolutionary design. Lots to digest in the coming days/weeks until we actually "see" the car. I'm sure the AU651 will be great.

https://audimediacenter-a.akamaihd.n...ion=attachment

It's interesting that the battery pack allows about 30 miles of range on electric only.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...s/audi-a8-9072

theanimala 07-11-2017 04:00 AM

So far my biggest complaint is the uninspired seat design compared to the beautiful diamond stitch seating of the D4. Also dissappointed to see the seat memory function in the same easy to accidentally hit location.

jetinder 07-11-2017 04:07 AM

I've managed a quick peek at the boot/trunk in one of the videos and I think I saw a "step" like area behind the rear seat. It might be an optional fridge or something, but would be disappointed if it's smaller than the D4. I've asked my friend at Audi UK who's over in Barcelona to see if he can get some pics.

The central hidden vent looks swish :-) The central console looks more organised than the new Panamera (I bet there is a lot in common with this car under the covers).

KevinDuMa 07-11-2017 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jetinder (Post 24999445)
I've managed a quick peek at the boot/trunk in one of the videos and I think I saw a "step" like area behind the rear seat. It might be an optional fridge or something, but would be disappointed if it's smaller than the D4. I've asked my friend at Audi UK who's over in Barcelona to see if he can get some pics.

The central hidden vent looks swish :-) The central console looks more organised than the new Panamera (I bet there is a lot in common with this car under the covers).

Definitely reminds me of the Panamera...I don't know how I feel about touch buttons for the HVAC controls and the new MMI. Will have to see more in depth videos I guess.

cleex024 07-11-2017 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by KevinDuMa (Post 24999481)
Definitely reminds me of the Panamera...I don't know how I feel about touch buttons for the HVAC controls and the new MMI. Will have to see more in depth videos I guess.

im sure its super nice...i cant imagine both audi and porsche would be going to it if either of them didnt think it would be a good fit in their flagships. i love the front but the rear still looks off to me...they look good when dark and lights are on but in the day time looks like it has a unibrow or something lol. reminds me of the bmw 7 series in a way...and the car still have huge overhangs...wtf? i dont think they got rid of any of it lol.

that interior is pretty nice...i love the overall design, but they should have kept that outer ring around the cabin where is swoops around the front dash. and i am very partial to the s8 gray analog dials...i dont think i could ever get tired of seeing true analog dials even though the all digital displays are really nice. my dads s600 has digital displays and its really nice and smooth so im sure the new a8 will have even smoother displays.

i think im trying to hate on this new design a little =) so my purchase doesnt seem too bad, but i dont think ill be too upset with my purchase. i dont think the design was enough of a change for me to be too upset and not enough tech upgrades. now the old s class to the new one was a huge difference and makes the last generation s class look pretty old...damn that new s class looks so good...but it stands out so much i couldnt drive it to work lol.

Psy Wagon 07-11-2017 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by theanimala (Post 24999437)
So far my biggest complaint is the uninspired seat design compared to the beautiful diamond stitch seating of the D4. Also dissappointed to see the seat memory function in the same easy to accidentally hit location.

I am sure this is the first year "basic" finishes which will get improvements over the years to come.

alfred1976 07-11-2017 06:53 AM

coupeboy 07-11-2017 08:05 AM

Where's the innovation?

I'm an Audi fan, especially of the A8. I currently have a 2017 S8 plus which I love. The D5 is a big disappointment for me because pretty much everything I'm reading here is either Audi playing catch up to what other manufacturers have already done, or needless gimmicks like animated tail lights and HVAC vents that open automagically. Where is the true innovation? OK the traffic jam assist sounds cool, but the ACC on the D4 can mostly do that. I can't believe I just read the words "plug in hybrid" describing a brand new car model that won't be replaced for another 6+ years. How come it's not fully electric by now? Pretty disappointing. It remains to be seen how good/bad the touch screen is, I'll reserve judgement till I try it. Finally, I'm not a fan of the looks of the car though those are subjective of course. I see a Ford Mustang in the front and I think the side looks pretty dull. Hopefully it's more impressive in person.

Boo!

kelisko 07-11-2017 08:32 AM

I hate to say it but I don't like it. Audi are probably not trying to compete with the S Class. I wished they were. The 2013 pre-facelift A8 remains the best looking A8 so far to me.

But I've said the same about Audi recent designs (A4, Q7, A5, Q5) and ended up liking them so let's wait and see.

Jack88 07-11-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kelisko (Post 24999578)
I hate to say it but I don't like it. Audi are probably not trying to compete with the S Class. I wished they were. The 2013 pre-facelift A8 remains the best looking A8 so far to me.

But I've said the same about Audi recent designs (A4, Q7, A5, Q5) and ended up liking them so let's wait and see.

They have three options regarding the S-class. Try to be better than them to get sales, be cheaper, or offer a different focus. Traditionally, Audi has gone with a mix of the latter two options and I don't see that changing. That's okay, if people want an S-class like car, they buy an S-class.