A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a chance to drive the new A8!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally had a chance to drive the new A8!

Drove a NWB version that was on loan to the Iowa City dealership.

All of the photos and videos I have seen do not do this car justice! The interior absolutely blew me away.

I currently drive a very well equipped 2008 A6 4.2, and thought that it was a very nice car. The A8 makes me feel like I'm driving a cheap jalopy now!

You can really feel the extra horses under the hood too!

As if I wasn't anxious enough for my new A8L to arrive!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Just drove one and was VERY unimpressed...

Originally Posted by Scothawk2
Drove a NWB version that was on loan to the Iowa City dealership.

All of the photos and videos I have seen do not do this car justice! The interior absolutely blew me away.

I currently drive a very well equipped 2008 A6 4.2, and thought that it was a very nice car. The A8 makes me feel like I'm driving a cheap jalopy now!

You can really feel the extra horses under the hood too!

As if I wasn't anxious enough for my new A8L to arrive!
I have an 04 and I was struck by the fact that there is not a lot of difference between driving the two. I did appreciate the extra power and the massage function of the seats is clearly superior. But when I got back in my car it seemed luxurious in comparison to the D4. Maybe when we get the long version it will be optioned better.

I must say also that the seats in the D4 are better...but then the seats in my D2 were more comfortable than the D3 seats! I like the features of my D3 seats, but they are really uncomfortable.

And I imagine the D4 Nav is better, but I did not try it out. Its just that my main impression driving the D4 was 'how much the same' it seemed. And that was all the more surprising because everyone has been raving about how much better the D4 is.

I took 3 other people along on the test drive and one of them said they thought my A8 has a better ride. But that might be due to the longer wheelbase and the extra noise supression of the Security Glass, which the demo did not have.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I drove one last week also. A reasonable well equipped A8 normal wheelbase model. It did not have the B&O or soft close doors but was otherwise pretty well spec'd.
I am having trouble as I presently drive an 09 S8 that must go back off lease in February. Sorry to say the new A8 is very nice, it is very responsive but is not an S8 - not that I expected it would be.
That said, I am not sure I would say I was unimpressed. This is a very nice car and I think it is an upgrade from the D3
Painfully I am testing a BMW 750 and a 550 as alternates and without an S8 in the lineup and no imminent arrival of the A7 BMW may get the business.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geordie
Yes, I drove one last week also. A reasonable well equipped A8 normal wheelbase model. It did not have the B&O or soft close doors but was otherwise pretty well spec'd.
I am having trouble as I presently drive an 09 S8 that must go back off lease in February. Sorry to say the new A8 is very nice, it is very responsive but is not an S8 - not that I expected it would be.
That said, I am not sure I would say I was unimpressed. This is a very nice car and I think it is an upgrade from the D3
Painfully I am testing a BMW 750 and a 550 as alternates and without an S8 in the lineup and no imminent arrival of the A7 BMW may get the business.
Traitor?! wait for the new S8, man... Fk the lease...
Cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by geordie
If an A7 is of interest, I'd have a talk with Audi Financial about extending your lease until you can test out an A7 demo which should be available at dealers by February---the A7's are being launched Apr/May, and an official dealer build order in your name can usually extend a lease.

If the S8 is where you really want to end up, I'd have a discussion with the A8 Customer Rep folks (but ask for a manager). I'd think they would try to find a way to keep you from abandoning the brand (especially a loyal S8 customer). They might recognize that they have a problem with this issue, and come up with a lease extension program for current S8 lease customers---things may be a little simpler to arrange since AofA and Audi Financial are now unified under a single corporate umbrella. You never know unless you ask.

Good luck which ever direction you go :^)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe me I have tried all avenues with the dealership - I have bought about 12 vehicles from them including 2 D3 A8's and 2 D3 S8's and talked to Audi financial. Even being blunt and telling them that this may force me to abandon the brand was met with a "sorry, but we don't have any products that we can offer"
I would happily stay in the S8 until the new model arrives but the car is over miles already and there is no way I could take the hit.
Thanks to darkop for the sympathy! As if I want to change!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

[QUOTE=geordie;24052566]Believe me I have tried all avenues with the dealership - I have bought about 12 vehicles from them including 2 D3 A8's and 2 D3 S8's and talked to Audi financial. Even being blunt and telling them that this may force me to abandon the brand was met with a "sorry, but we don't have any products that we can offer"
I would happily stay in the S8 until the new model arrives but the car is over miles already and there is no way I could take the hit.
QUOTE]

Forget Audi Financial; they're robots. If you haven't taken your cause to A8 Customer Service management, I'd suggest you give it a go. This issue is something they need to hear---and take to a higher AoA authority---and be given the opportunity to step up to the plate and offer something that keeps current S8 folks with the brand. I suspect you're not alone with this issue.