A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally placed order for 2015 A8

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default I'm more okay w/ it.

These aren't the notorious GM type systems of yore either. They also vary in design. I like the W12 one just out, though it is coming up short of the 4.0T flavors on MPG but also now acceleration as the std. 4.0T gets massaged further. In particular, the W12 set up alternates among its 6 chosen cylinders, and keeps them all warm on the one hand, but then spreads the combustion wear, heat generation and so on in the light and part load scenarios that makes up most of real world USA driving.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to forum and Audi.

Ready to pull the gun myself this weekend... Moving from a 2007 S550 to my first ever Audi.

Here is my configuration (custom). I am getting the MyAudi for about 13.5% off MSRP.

Purpose of purchase over "other": hate BMW , gas mileage, more options & better overall deal.

Look forward to your opinions.

My only concern is the reliability of the Diesel. Hoping to crank out a good 7-9 years in this car.

-2015 A8 L Engine/Trim: 3.0 TDI
-Exterior Color: Moonlight Blue metallic
-Interior: Nougat Brown Valcona leather Seats
-Package: Bang & Olufsen® Advanced Sound System with 19 speakers and 1,400 watts (Still under debate)
-Package: Two piece panoramic sunroof
-Package: Cold Weather package
-Package: Premium Package
-Package: Luxury package
-Package: Rear Seat Comfort package
-Package: Rear Seat Entertainment with dual 10" screens and DVD single slot (for the kids)
-Package: Sport plus package
-Package: Driver Assistance package
-Black Alcantara headliner
Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by powerplyer
New to forum and Audi.

Ready to pull the gun myself this weekend... Moving from a 2007 S550 to my first ever Audi.

Here is my configuration (custom). I am getting the MyAudi for about 13.5% off MSRP.

Purpose of purchase over "other": hate BMW , gas mileage, more options & better overall deal.

Look forward to your opinions.

My only concern is the reliability of the Diesel. Hoping to crank out a good 7-9 years in this car.

-2015 A8 L Engine/Trim: 3.0 TDI
-Exterior Color: Moonlight Blue metallic
-Interior: Nougat Brown Valcona leather Seats
-Package: Bang & Olufsen® Advanced Sound System with 19 speakers and 1,400 watts (Still under debate)
-Package: Two piece panoramic sunroof
-Package: Cold Weather package
-Package: Premium Package
-Package: Luxury package
-Package: Rear Seat Comfort package
-Package: Rear Seat Entertainment with dual 10" screens and DVD single slot (for the kids)
-Package: Sport plus package
-Package: Driver Assistance package
-Black Alcantara headliner
That's an excellent spec list. You'll be jealous of the kids enjoying the rear cabin---the rear seat comfort setup is sweet. I'm continually tempted to hire a driver so I can sit back there and put the seat into the "lounge" position---which I now do when I'm looking for a quiet moment in my garage :-)) But, then again, I'd be missing out on the A8 driving experience!

Audi has a number of years experience in the turbo diesel design and production arena, so I wouldn't worry about that. I just had an A8 TDI service loaner for a day and I was very impressed with the engine's smoothness and grunt. Just wish Audi would bring us a beefier TDI variant similar to the monster 4.2 TDI V8 that Jettinder is enjoying across the pond.

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-16-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
That's an excellent spec list. You'll be jealous of the kids enjoying the rear cabin---the rear seat comfort setup is sweet. I'm continually tempted to hire a driver so I can sit back there and put the seat into the "lounge" position---which I now do when I'm looking for a quiet moment in my garage :-))

Audi has a number of years experience in the turbo diesel design and production arena, so I wouldn't worry about that. I just had an A8 TDI service loaner for a day and I was very impressed with the engine's smoothness and grunt. Just wish Audi would bring us a beefier TDI variant similar to the monster 4.2 TDI V8 that Jettinder is enjoying across the pond.
Thanks for the feedback, I have read a lot of articles about TDI and the majority of the reviews have been positive. Again the gas millage was what pushed me towards the TDI. Most people avg. 37-40 mpg. In all honesty I had put a down payment on the Tesla Model X, however the time frame of availability and recently hearing that they will be charging "extra" for the third row of seats was ridiculous. Not to mention that a fully loaded Tesla would be $15K-$20K more than a fully loaded Audi.

BTW for people that recently bought a 2015 A8L, is ~13.5% off MSRP good? I had a few dealers compete for my business and this was the best I could do.

Please keep the feedback coming. I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New to forum and Audi.

Welcome !

Given Audi's track record with diesels it wouldn't concern me much.

I'm continually tempted to hire a driver so I can sit back there and put the seat into the "lounge" position [..] then again, I'd be missing out on the A8 driving experience!
A good friend maintains his chauffeur license from his college years, and continually offers to drive me for a day.
Keep telling him it's a bad idea since he'd have to immediately trade in his BMW and join this forum.

That and he'd have a hard time prying me out of the driver seat

Just wish Audi would bring us a beefier TDI variant similar to the monster 4.2 TDI V8 that Jettinder is enjoying across the pond.
Yes. This. Please.
Are you listening Audi ? Homologate the damn thing already...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the feedback, I have read a lot of articles about TDI and the majority of the reviews have been positive. Again the gas millage was what pushed me towards the TDI. Most people avg. 37-40 mpg. In all honesty I had put a down payment on the Tesla Model X, however the time frame of availability and recently hearing that they will be charging "extra" for the third row of seats was ridiculous. Not to mention that a fully loaded Tesla would be $15K-$20K more than a fully loaded Audi.

BTW for people that recently bought a 2015 A8L, is ~13.5% off MSRP good? I had a few dealers compete for my business and this was the best I could do.

Please keep the feedback coming. I really appreciate the feedback.
If you got that discount ( $14,900 off retail) then the dealer is selling the car for $7,237 BELOW invoice based on the options you listed. If you got the Audi loyalty $4000 rebate included in that 13.5% figure (but you're not a returning Audi customer) then it would net out to 10% off MSRP, exclusive of the loyalty rebate---which would still be well below invoice. You sure it's really a 2015 he's selling you? ;-))

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-16-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you got that discount ( $14,900 off retail) then the dealer is selling the car for $7,237 BELOW invoice based on the options you listed. If you got the Audi loyalty $4000 rebate included in that 13.5% figure (but you're not a returning Audi customer) then it would net out to 10% off MSRP, exclusive of the loyalty rebate---which would still be well below invoice. You sure it's really a 2015 he's selling you? ;-))
Here is the breakdown and yes it is a 2015 A8 L TDI

Original Price (with destination) - $113375
Dealer discount (10%) - <$11375>
Loyalty Discount for owning Mercedes - <$3000>

Price: $99K (+9K in tax and fees)

I guess that is a good deal!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Power player- I was kidding on the 2015 MY comment. That is a very good deal, indeed. You really worked them. Is this a high volume Audi store?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Power player- I was kidding on the 2015 MY comment. That is a very good deal, indeed. You really worked them. Is this a high volume Audi store?
Thanks, I knew you were kidding (50%) but did confirm j/k.

I do not know if they are a high volume Audi dealer. Basically, I sent an e-mail to every Audi dealer in the bay area (5) and waited for their response. I told them I am looking for 10% off MSRP with $3000 rebate with my configuration. I knew no one in Cali had the exact options I wanted. Most came back with 6%-8% and two replied with 10%; I selected the closet one to my house. Had them confirm the final OTD cost and told him I would be there to finalize.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any idea from dealer how long it would take. Sounds like awesome car!

Quick Reply: Finally placed order for 2015 A8