A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Laws

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Laws

Forgive if this topic has been brought up before . . . I reside currently in Texas where we have front license plates. When I took delivery the dealer intentionally did not put on the front plate. They said it ruined, correctly, the looks of the grille and front end. I was told not to worry.

Anyone, especially TX people, have any experience with the law and its enforcement. Having grown up in PA, state inspection requirements here are a bit of a joke.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a class C misdemeanor ticket. It is state law in TX and probable cause to stop you. I was pulled over for not having a front LP back a couple of years ago, but wasn't ticketed. A DPS trooper (up by Bridgeport) just wanted to "see" what I had in my truck (PC of the stop was no front LP). A lot of meth running up that way, and my truck fit the profile of meth runners. After a 15 second chat, he told me to fix it and sent me on my way.

You can tell them the dealer never installed the bracket on the front bumper for you to mount the plate on, and he'll tell you to go fix it.

Again, it's a reason for them to stop you and check you out.

Fun fact, you can be thrown in jail in Texas for ANY class C infraction except speeding and open container in a vehicle. No front LP could land you in the slammer, but highly doubtful. One officer hauled a woman away for turning right on red (when no turn was allowed). This was up in the McKinney area. There was more to the story, but he was legally allowed to jail traffic her on that charge alone. Many jurisdictions have a minimum on class C infractions before they can jail traffic you.

Last edited by aceecaus; 03-06-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes it's a cheap ticket I can't recall but I think 25.00 or 50.00 but a PIA to get dismissed had one in Carrollton and Addison Texas both with other citations. The car looks so much better I just deal with them !
Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Amazon Amazon

I am not positive this will fit on your car, I had it on my X5M that I had before my A8L, and I plan on getting it for the A8 if there is room underneath to mount it there, a plate would ruin the front for me completely.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

decided to use the tow hook adaptation to show the plate on the R side
looks European ...sort of
Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidA
decided to use the tow hook adaptation to show the plate on the R side
looks European ...sort of
reviving old thread...but which tow hook plate mount did you buy?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I see the big mikes brand that is said to work better in reviews. $80. But the application only lists up to the A7 ?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My plan is to just pretend I'm stupid. The car I'm buying doesn't have the bracket so I'm not going to install a front plate.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Just bought this:

Audi Platypus Pro-Series License Plate Mount - CravenSpeed Online

Will let you know how it goes
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

That looks hideous ! I think I'll go with it didn't come with one and bracket is on order. Haven't been pulled over in 4 years. If that's all cops have to do there's something wrong. Only time it might be a issue is if I get pulled over for speeding. Hopefully the passport 9500ci will help with that. A lot of my driving is in KY & FLA. It's Ohio that could be a issue

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Laws