A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Panoramic Sunroof Shade Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Panoramic Sunroof Shade Issues

Greetings! I am having intermittent issues with the automatic sunshade in front of my 2012 A8. The roof itself operates as it should, but the sun shade has been quirky lately. Sometimes it opens or closes on the first hit of the switch. Other times is just seems stuck in position and no matter how many times I hit the switch it won't move. Then it magically frees up the next time I try.

Any ideas as to what this could be? An issue in the switch?

Funny thing is that when I select rear control, the rear sunshade slides forwards and backwards without an issue (using the same switch).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bang on it. really. I've had to do it with the rear sunshade recently. fixed it
Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattledog1
Greetings! I am having intermittent issues with the automatic sunshade in front of my 2012 A8. The roof itself operates as it should, but the sun shade has been quirky lately. Sometimes it opens or closes on the first hit of the switch. Other times is just seems stuck in position and no matter how many times I hit the switch it won't move. Then it magically frees up the next time I try.

Any ideas as to what this could be? An issue in the switch?

Funny thing is that when I select rear control, the rear sunshade slides forwards and backwards without an issue (using the same switch).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
i think you need to recalibrate the motor's ecu. Try holding the button back for a few seconds. It should cycle through and reprogram itself.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

same issue with my rear sunroof, wouldn't close, banged on it, closed. love audi tech...
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check the weather stripping around the sunroof, my rear wasn't working and found the weather strip not seated properly works fine after re seating.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frybear
bang on it. really. I've had to do it with the rear sunshade recently. fixed it
I am having the same problem on by 2012 4.2L D4 on the rear pano sun shade. I have tried to bang the areas around the read shade a few times, but nothing. When I hit the switch, I hear a motor clicking sound, but no action. Mine is stuck open.

Where do you hit to affect the motor?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solved!

Originally Posted by bfairban001
I am having the same problem on by 2012 4.2L D4 on the rear pano sun shade. I have tried to bang the areas around the read shade a few times, but nothing. When I hit the switch, I hear a motor clicking sound, but no action. Mine is stuck open.

Where do you hit to affect the motor?
Hi everyone - believe it or not (and I found it hard to believe because I have two masters degrees in engineering - however neither in EE) the dealership told me that that the issues in the sunroof shade was due to low voltage output from the battery. So I agreed to have the battery replaced (first time it was replaced in the vehicle) and magically proper function returned! I still have a hard time buying into that theory, since everything else in the car functioned perfectly - including the front sun shade, but it fixed the problem to I am trying not to dwell too much on the $400 I dropped
Old 01-08-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cattledog1
Hi everyone - believe it or not (and I found it hard to believe because I have two masters degrees in engineering - however neither in EE) the dealership told me that that the issues in the sunroof shade was due to low voltage output from the battery. So I agreed to have the battery replaced (first time it was replaced in the vehicle) and magically proper function returned! I still have a hard time buying into that theory, since everything else in the car functioned perfectly - including the front sun shade, but it fixed the problem to I am trying not to dwell too much on the $400 I dropped
Interesting, it is very possible that my battery is due for a change. We went through a very cold snap here and the car started just fine over the past couple of weeks, but who knows with the complexity of these beasts. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long do batteries last? My car is 4 years old with the original battery, should I replace it?