A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Squeaking Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I had a noise that was most prominent over speed bumps. Ended up being sway bar links. $60 and 10 minutes each, someone posted a video on here a while ago with their car making the same noise, if you want to see if it matches what you heard.
Hi, where did you purchase the sway bar links online? And did you replace the bushings also? Thank you!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had mine at the dealer 4 times for the same thing in the last 50,000km. they keep replacing it under CPO but I am sort of worried about how often this will happen out of warranty as it seems to be a "once every 6 months" ordeal.

Any way to extend longevity or fix it for good?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm...i think i might have this issue too...doesnt seem like there is anything wrong with the suspension as it doesnt feel loose or anything around turns or bumps in the road. just figured its from the rubber rubbing against the walls of strut.

but maybe ill have them check it out while its in service...however if i bought this kind of car i would not want to be in an a4 for more than a couple days lol...even a day seems kind of long
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After getting new front suspension pieces, the noise is finally gone.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trippy64
What pieces did you get?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trippy64
you know what pieces?

Also wonder if mine is the same noise...my noise is more like a squishing sound more than a creaking sound if that makes sense.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a bit of a creak over speed bumps particularly when cold. This will be covered under powertrain warranty? Nice.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

audi needs to get this fixed as i feel bad for people who buy these things new and after 25k miles or 2 years their car sound like a old rust bucket, i own a lexus and mercedes and even had bmw in the past my control arms and bushings would get messed up really bad to a point where it you could easily move them but still the car would ride quiet and occasionally you would hear a rattle on hard bumps due to bad ball joints. my 06 d3 had the same issue and i changed the sway bar links twice and also the upper control arms only to find out next year the noises were back, i do about 20k miles a year but still my 04 lexus has 225k and theres no creaking or squishing noises that my 2011 a8 makes sometimes when cold going over bumps.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleex024
you know what pieces?

Also wonder if mine is the same noise...my noise is more like a squishing sound more than a creaking sound if that makes sense.
A squishing noise is a good description of what I had. Complained about it many times, was told nothing was "out of spec" on the suspension. Then a pothole took a hard hit and i had an issue when braking, and added a new clunking noise on driveway and speed bumps, over and above the the squish sound. New lower control arms, which only come in pairs, and now my car sounds like brand new. 4H0-407-693 and 4H0-407-694 and then a new pipe 079-121-071-BS.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dildildil
audi needs to get this fixed as i feel bad for people who buy these things new and after 25k miles or 2 years their car sound like a old rust bucket, i own a lexus and mercedes and even had bmw in the past my control arms and bushings would get messed up really bad to a point where it you could easily move them but still the car would ride quiet and occasionally you would hear a rattle on hard bumps due to bad ball joints. my 06 d3 had the same issue and i changed the sway bar links twice and also the upper control arms only to find out next year the noises were back, i do about 20k miles a year but still my 04 lexus has 225k and theres no creaking or squishing noises that my 2011 a8 makes sometimes when cold going over bumps.
Well, it's not too fair of a comparison as the LS430 was and still pretty much is the epitome of reliability / quality engineering. As mentioned by others, it is a boring car but top notch in reliability. And designed to be boring too. Can't really fault them as this was the market they were going after. My 430 was also the most reliable car I have ever owned.

When Lexus changed the whole design of the suspension with the 460 a lot more issues with the bushings came into play. Really expensive out of pocket for many owners on OEM parts. At least they have a lot of aftermarket options at 1/3 the OEM cost. Took them from 2007 - end of 12 to get the arms more reliable but they are still are not like the 430. Not to mention with the 430 you can get the bushing separate and just have them pressed in at like $50 a part for the bushing. Imagine that, no need to replace the whole arm when just a piece of rubber is bad...

With the 460 they went to 4 arms per side vs 2 per side on the 430 and they don't sell the bushings separately. To top it all off many owners say the 430 rides smoother and has less cabin noise... lol. Ahhh Lexus, no wonder you lost a ton of market share.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-20-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Squeaking Noise!