A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Tires Wearing Out Quickly (2017 A8L 4.0T)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Question Front Tires Wearing Out Quickly (2017 A8L 4.0T)

Hi,

So I hit roughly 15,500 miles on my A8L a couple of months ago, until one day I noticed that the outside edges of both of my front tires were completely worn out, with the silver threads showing (again, just around the outside edges - further in was fine). I checked the service records for my first Audi Care maintenance done earlier and it didn't look like they had rotated the tires. I ended up getting exact, new replacements at a local shop, but given that the rear tires are in excellent shape, I wanted to see if anyone else has run into an issue like this with only the front tires?

Some additional info: I have the original/factory installed 21 inch wheels (I think they are technically the "S8 Wheels") with the ContiSportContact ContiSilent 275/35 R21 103Y tires. The vehicle was acquired brand new in late 2017 from an Audi dealer and driven only in Los Angeles weather.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I would look at getting a wheel alignment done. Excessive wear on the inside or outside edge of a tire can be indicative of a toe-in issue.

If you don't fix the issue, then your new tires are going to go the same way in short order also
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully, you had the new front tires shaved to match the rear tires’ tread depth.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twglasgow
Hopefully, you had the new front tires shaved to match the rear tires’ tread depth.
You are trying to be funny, right?
If not, please reference where Audi says exacting tire diameter to such an extent is necessary.
Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

1. Rotate tires no less than annually/10K miles.
2. Get alignment checked as noted.
3. Check tire pressures against owner's manual (better source than door sticker for part load settings), and check every 3 months. Don't just rely on TPMS, which will be slow to catch gradual pressure drop across all 4 tires at same time.
4. Expect with high performance summers and heavy and high torque D4's to only get perhaps 20K miles out of them.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-09-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
You are trying to be funny, right?
If not, please reference where Audi says exacting tire diameter to such an extent is necessary.
Thanks.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=18
I should have asked the OP whether he considered if the replacement tires would be in spec.
Last year, I lost a tire. The new tire would be within spec, but I elected to have it “shaved” by Tire Rack. It couldn’t have been done locally.
Lots of people choose to ignore this or are unaware, I prefer to err on the side of caution. The only cost of the “shave” was a one day delay.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.

Shaving it had not even crossed my mind, nor alignment as being an issue. I’ve pretty much relied on Audi scheduled maintenance in the past with 0 issues - on 2 A6’s and an A3, that I think I’ve become complacent in being attentive, myself. As I’ve learned so far, the A8 is a different beast.

I’ll be making an appointment at the dealer over the next week or so to have it checked and get their take on it as well. Hopefully I haven’t damaged much, if anything, so far.

I’ll also have to investigate in perhaps getting different tires, long-term.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
Thanks for all the feedback.

Shaving it had not even crossed my mind, nor alignment as being an issue. I’ve pretty much relied on Audi scheduled maintenance in the past with 0 issues - on 2 A6’s and an A3, that I think I’ve become complacent in being attentive, myself. As I’ve learned so far, the A8 is a different beast.

I’ll be making an appointment at the dealer over the next week or so to have it checked and get their take on it as well. Hopefully I haven’t damaged much, if anything, so far.

I’ll also have to investigate in perhaps getting different tires, long-term.
I wasn’t implying you created a problem and there is no way you damaged anything over a short time period. Maintaining a consistent tire depth is more preventing a medium term wear issue.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Trouble with the dealer alignment approach is it will be out of this world pricy--like $800 or some absurd $$$. They will want to check and recalibrate all the optical related safety system sensors along side. My own experience is as long as car has not been in an accidident where body work is done, typically you can just do the standard laser rack 4 wheel alignment at an independent tire shop. I spend $90 for those. Have not done it yet on D4, but have on the Q5.

Also note if you follow Audi service schedule, they deleted tire rotations from those ages ago. Audi has also designed the brakes now in such a way they can take pad measurements with the wheels on the car, so they don''t tend to get rotated for that reason either. Since I use two sets of tires seasonally, mine get rotated as part of that drill.

On the 21's in audi sizing, you will likely find pretty limited choices there. A performance all season would get you better wear, but in the 21's I think those are likely just the Pirellis that tend to be mixed longer term reviews on the D4. In the 20's I can get either the Michelin AS3+ or the Conti DWS 06. The former is not too far off a high performance summer, while the latter I am finding workable for a (modest) snow weather tire. Academic though if the 21's are your set up.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The prices we pay for driving a 4,600+ lb tank around. But it is so cool...

Quick Reply: Front Tires Wearing Out Quickly (2017 A8L 4.0T)