A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 PM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel filter?

I am considering changing the fuel filter at the next service @ 90,000km and have tried to figure out where it is and the only one I can find seems to be in the fuel tank.

Anyone know if that's the one there is and if so what would the procedure be to change it?

There don't seem to be anything on the D4 on youtube etc.

Fuel Filter | Genuine Audi | 4H0-201-511-A : Audi Wholesale OEM Parts - Audi Genuine Accessories - AudiUSAParts.com e-Store
Old 06-10-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, absolutely I would do it. You know what is wonderful stuff to run with your fuel? Marvel Mystery Oil. Fantastic cleaning abilities. It's no longer a mystery what the mix is and it's actually really interesting what it inside. A base oil with solvents and friction modifiers. All this ethanol in the fuel makes the issue worse. Direct injection is also known to gunk up the intake valves with no fuel spraying across.
I have been using it for years as a fuel additive. All my vehicles run smoother and I get better mileage with it in the fuel. Add its abilities to clean the fuel tank & injectors as well as the engine if used in oil it is a no brainer for me. A lot of people think it's snake oil but everyone who uses it swears by it.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I use another additive for keeping things clean and it seems to work.

Regarding the fuel filter I found the erWin maint manual that shows a filter located in a similar place as the D2 and I think D3 but I cannot find it on any sparepart sites.

Just checked the MANN online filter cathalog and there are no fuelfilters, says lifetime filter...

I remember changing on my old D2 and it made a big difference.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by A 8

Regarding the fuel filter I found the erWin maint manual that shows a filter located in a similar place as the D2 and I think D3 but I cannot find it on any sparepart sites. ...

On D3 it was in same area--under some aero plastic covering just in front of back passenger (U.S. spec) passenger wheel area. But EKTA parts slides seem to show the (only) filter inside the tank as you first mentioned. Essentially it is in the same place from the parts illustration--passenger side--but just inside the tank. Assuming like other Euro cars and Audis, presumably big access hole/plate under back seat that you remove and then get to the lid for that side of tank. Not for faint of heart, but not huge deal either w/ prior experience.