A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener/Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Garage door opener/Homelink

Hi

Does anyone have the garage door opener working on their A8 (new or old I guess). I've programmed the car with the remote as per the procedure and it doesn't actually open/close the garage.

I've checked with Homelink and it's all compatible.

The dealers had a look and everything is fine (but they can't test it). I've also tried with the their demonstrator and it has the same issue.

Lastly, Audi UK technical have checked it out and don't know what's happening.

Has anyone got it/does it work ? Otherwise I'll inclined to ask for my money back.

Thanks

Jet
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
Hi

Does anyone have the garage door opener working on their A8 (new or old I guess). I've programmed the car with the remote as per the procedure and it doesn't actually open/close the garage.
Mine works on my 2008 D3. In addition to linking the garage remote(s) to the car, you also have to follow the procedure where you push the button on the garage opener mechanism and within 30-seconds (I think) push the associated home link button(s) in the car---this is for openers that use rolling codes, which I'd assume all do these days. Did you try that?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get mine to program either. Spent 30 minutes trying rereading the instructions in the Audi manual. I didn't press the button on the actual garage door opener, rather, I pressed the button on the old garage door remote.

Maybe it needs to be the button on the garage door opener itself and not the old remote.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2009 works fine. It is a bit confusing, you need to follow the instructions carefully. It will not work if you fail to press the button on the Door Opener Unit as part of the procedure.

Audi's method is about the same as other manufacturers, the Rolling Code Door Openers is what takes extra steps.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately I don't have the rolling door type, but will try by pressing the button on the unit itself rather than the remote when it stops raining.

Jet
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

It works perfectly now.

Thanks for your help.

Jet
Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetinder
It works perfectly now.

Thanks for your help.

Jet
Good to hear; I figured the additional step(s) would do the trick. BTW, have the rattle/squeek noises been corrected?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Most have, the subwoofer cover seems to have detached itself from the shelf, so they are just awaiting replacement parts this coming week (been a month since it was ordered).

There's still a rattle from the glove box, but that's about all really.

The only other thing where there doesn't seem to be a fix is the centre speaker at the front. It distorts like nobodies business when you call someone - sometimes it's their deep voice, sometimes it's just the ringer which will distort it. The technician himself didn't think the Audi tests on the speaker were useful. So it's with technical again for further research.

I'm still not happy with the way the rear passenger blinds come down, so I'm making a big deal out it.

The new car also seems to suffer from condensation patches on the outside of the front screen when it's slightly warmer outside than inside and it's a bit humid outside. I've been told it's to be expected, but my opinion is "it wasn't like that with the D3, so I cannot accept that it's supposed to occur on the D4". Yet another discussion with technical going on there with the dealer.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the car so much and the car gets so many looks from people that you can't help but smile when you catch them staring :-) I've still not seen another new A8 on the roads though.

Jet
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You'd think with all the testing that was done, the car wouldn't have these little annoyances. The condensation issue on the windscreen is something I've had on some other Audi models, but I can't recall having it on either of my 2 D3s. I wonder if there's an adjustment for the air temp going to the windscreen air diffuser---perhaps the air is too cold due to some inbalance in the air blending mechanism?

I had to have the glove box door replaced on my current D3 due to it making an annoying squeak/ticking noise whenever the car went over some bumps of when the body shifted during turns. They initially tried using all kinds of felt and rubberized filler pieces, but the door had to eventually be replaced; unfortunately a rather pain in the **** job, I was later told.

Well good luck, and do enjoy the D4's exclusivity ;^)