A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google coming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google coming.

I copied this from the A7 forum. Will current A8's be able to upgrade to this?

---------------------------------------------

Official release.

Voice-activated Google Earth™ 3D Graphics (first-to-market)
The MMI® Navigation Plus can now be used with Google Earth™. With the 3D graphics of Google Earth overlaid on a map, a true aerial view of your route becomes your guide and your journey comes alive with 3D models of buildings, terrain and topography for a dynamic driving experience where you navigate streets like never before.

Google™ Local search

The Local search option from Google™ allows you to retrieve detailed information about travel destinations, such as restaurant or hotel hours, pricing and customer reviews based on data at Google. On the map display, your current location appears along with icons indicating nearby attractions which can be selected for more information and as your destination.

Google™ Voice Local Search

Navigating hands-free is as easy as 1-2-3 with the "Push to Talk" button on your steering wheel. Once activated, a menu prompts you to say the keyword or exact name of your destination. Results are displayed in a list for easy scrolling or on a map showing proximity to your current location. Select to activate route guidance.
SIRIUS Traffic™ overlaid onto Google Earth™
Real-time traffic information from SIRIUS is combined with Google Earth imagery for a clear, color-coded overview of local congestion to warn you of traffic situations and help plan your route.

Real-time Information

Audi Connect enhances the current capabilities of the MMI unit with several features new to the Audi brand including, Real-time localized Travel and Weather information, Real-time News feeds from varied News sources, and Real-time localized fuel updates detailing local gas station brands, pricing, and proximity to vehicle. The driver can set preferences for current location, destination location, or any other location desired.

myAudi Destinations

The myAudi Destination feature allows registered users to log on to Google MapsTM from any location and download destinations to the vehicle. Up to 50 destinations can be stored in the customer’s myAudi account, and can be used at any time in the MMI® navigation plus system.

Rolling WiFi® Hotspot (first-to-market as Factory-installed option)
Audi Connect is also able to turn the vehicle into a secure Wi-Fi hotspot, allowing vehicle passengers to retrieve information on the internet conveniently and securely. Up to eight WiFi-enabled devices can simultaneously use the wireless connectivity
Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer just came back from Germany for the A6 training and he tells me the latest Google type stuff is even better. He mentioned local points of interest and some integration with Wikipedia.

He was told it would filter through to the A8 for sure. I'd guess 2012.

I'm seeing him next week and will see if there's anything else that could filter up or if he's heard any tidbits of info for the A8.

In the meantime .... roll on week 23 for my wifes A6 and more economical times :-)
Old 03-18-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It's hard to believe that Audi would launch the new A8/A8L without this feature available on day one. From what I've read here and elsewhere, this is no upgrade to retrofit the 2011's. Very misleading to tout such a very nice feature/option and then deny the U.S. market for this model year. I'm sure there will be some unhappy owners complaining about this issue, especially when they see it in action in an A7 arriving in dealerships shortly.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
It's hard to believe that Audi would launch the new A8/A8L without this feature available on day one. From what I've read here and elsewhere, this is no upgrade to retrofit the 2011's. Very misleading to tout such a very nice feature/option and then deny the U.S. market for this model year. I'm sure there will be some unhappy owners complaining about this issue, especially when they see it in action in an A7 arriving in dealerships shortly.
No kidding!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2011 A8L is on the way

My 2011 A8L is on the way, scheduled to arrive at the dealership the week of May 23. Ideally it will be sooner! Although Audi Connect on the surface does not seem to be that much of a big deal to me, it would be nice to have it available if indeed it turns out to be a feature that I would appreciate. Not that it would change anything but does anyone think that a 2011 A8L being assembled this month as is the case with my car might indeed have the hardware to access this feature down the road? The car which I am very excited about is Phantom Black Pearl Effect with a Black interior along with the following options:

1: Bang & Olufsen
2: Night Vision Assistant
3: Alcantara Package and Black Headliner
4: 20" 10-Parallel-Spoke Wheels with Summer Tires
5: LED Headlights W/O RAnge Adjustment
6: Dual-Paned Security Glass
7: Rear Seat Comfort Package
8: Premium Package
9: Driver Assist Package

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Your car looks well packaged. I have the Phantom Black on my car, it is really nice. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the previous A8, our 'taste/style' still led us to see Phantom Black as the most desirable (and now w/ black interior), in spite of the cleaning difficulty. We learned to keep a California duster handy and generous use of Zymol products does help, electrostatically, with the dust. Additionally, for those of us who like to remove the obnoxious sun visor warning stickers, the alcantera demands diluting the nail polish remover w/ half water and twice the time to work.