A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my 2013 A8 today! observations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got my 2013 A8 today! observations...

well, got it finally. I like it so far. Love the lighting in the roof when the lights are on, very cool. Heated steering wheel: doesn't work. Cigarette lighter by cupholders: doesn't work. Cooled seats: can't feel a thing. So far, so ... eh.

The drive, great, don't miss the V8 at all! Stereo, sounds fine to me even with spotify over bluetooth. Seats, comfy. massager: awesome. Open door with engine running: shuts off - stupid!!!!!! Hate that but have already figured out nothing you can do about it other than restarting car again.

Love that I can still have presets that combine both radio and sirius so I don't have to toggle between the two, unlike my wife's land rover. Stupid truck. And I like that I can preview what's on other stations before switching over. So cool.

I'm sure the dealer will work out the stuff that isn't working. You'd think with a CPO car that just might check out stuff like that?

And dealer already upgraded the MMI to V814, so no need for that I guess.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
well, got it finally. I like it so far. Love the lighting in the roof when the lights are on, very cool. Heated steering wheel: doesn't work. Cigarette lighter by cupholders: doesn't work. Cooled seats: can't feel a thing. So far, so ... eh.

The drive, great, don't miss the V8 at all! Stereo, sounds fine to me even with spotify over bluetooth. Seats, comfy. massager: awesome. Open door with engine running: shuts off - stupid!!!!!! Hate that but have already figured out nothing you can do about it other than restarting car again.

Love that I can still have presets that combine both radio and sirius so I don't have to toggle between the two, unlike my wife's land rover. Stupid truck. And I like that I can preview what's on other stations before switching over. So cool.

I'm sure the dealer will work out the stuff that isn't working. You'd think with a CPO car that just might check out stuff like that?

And dealer already upgraded the MMI to V814, so no need for that I guess.
Your engine shuts off when you open your door while the engine is running? Interesting.....my dash just beeps and shows an image of door ajar but the engine doesn't shut off. Then again I have MY12, perhaps MY13 changed that feature.

Congrats again on the new ride.....you'll enjoy it!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! now just have to find the fuse for the cig lighter...not listed in manual.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

The dealer will sort out the steering wheel heat and the cigarette lighter issues. The ventilated seats are very subtle and actually draw warm air away from your body rather than blowing air onto you. Makes some folks question if the system is working properly. Still creates a cooling effect that keeps you dry in warm weather. If that system isn't working, then I'm sure the dealer will correct that also.

My 2011 and now 2015 didn't/doesn't shut off when door is opened. Car won't move with the door open, but the engine remains on.

BTW, how was the ride home after picking up the car? Comments re: road feel, handling, etc????

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-27-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As for the ride, great. Again, for me, glad I didn't go for the V8 - although the one they had only had one sunroof, more mileage by a bit and $5k more. I honestly think the V6 has plenty of pull! And I'm coming from a twin turbo V8! I honestly don't miss the BMW, yet. I think the cig lighter is just a fuse but of course Audi doesn't provide extra fuses. I wish they did, I think it would make sense to just include 2 of each amp fuses on the side. they're easy to replace. As for the cooling, I'll have them test it, it could be that I just don't feel it. With the BMW felt it and you can feel the motor in the seat so you know it's on.

but yes, I like the car a lot. The one little niggly thing, and it's not bad, is that the BMW doors are on hydraulics, so wherever you open the door to, it stops, you don't need a detent to make it not close back on you. The Audi doesn't do that.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And I like that the BMW has black "chrome" all around the windows instead of chrome. Might see if I can black out the audi that way, maybe plasti dip. Maybe I won't bother!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Interesting on the hydraulic feature of the Bimmer doors...I wasn't aware of that. Could be a nice feature I guess. I like the soft close function option on the A8---just wish guests remembered my car has it, and didn't slam the damn doors all the time😁
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no kidding. my kids, who think the soft close doors are cool, still slam them! you wouldn't guess how much the hydraulic feature is important. especially when opening doors in tight spaces. It's really a great feature. BMW over engineers their cars. But that's probably why they cost $15k more. I have to test out this cruise control thingy on the Audi. No idea how it works! I don't even see any cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. Which is where I assume they should be and not just on the stalk. I assume I'm wrong! I love the layout of the Audi though and the cab forward design gives us more room in the cabin. I think the vented glovebox is funny. What is the point? My wife's land rover actually has a cooler under the armrest, hold a six pack nicely. Very cold.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
As for the ride, great. Again, for me, glad I didn't go for the V8 - although the one they had only had one sunroof, more mileage by a bit and $5k more. I honestly think the V6 has plenty of pull! And I'm coming from a twin turbo V8! I honestly don't miss the BMW, yet. I think the cig lighter is just a fuse but of course Audi doesn't provide extra fuses. I wish they did, I think it would make sense to just include 2 of each amp fuses on the side. they're easy to replace. As for the cooling, I'll have them test it, it could be that I just don't feel it. With the BMW felt it and you can feel the motor in the seat so you know it's on.

but yes, I like the car a lot. The one little niggly thing, and it's not bad, is that the BMW doors are on hydraulics, so wherever you open the door to, it stops, you don't need a detent to make it not close back on you. The Audi doesn't do that.
I noticed that on a test drive, parked on an incline and it still held. Nifty trick I wish Audi picked up. Good to hear you like the car, although you have a couple things I'm not familiar with. I never had anything shut down when I open the door.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I read online, it has to do with the start/stop auto feature. not sure why.

Quick Reply: Got my 2013 A8 today! observations...