A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a newly purchased 2016 CPO

Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default From transmission to supercharger???

Hi everyone, appreciate the insight and opinions from members and thanks for the join. I bought a well priced CPO 2016 A8L 3.0 from a local dealership. Car looked pristine outside, previous owner even had rock guard placed on it, and inside was spotless. Took it out for a dealer controlled test drive (both city and highway) and frankly seemed to drive well at the time (car has 36k miles on it). We purchased the vehicle and within 30 minutes of driving home I could feel the front rotors were warped. Back to dealer next day to address (already scheduled to do a ding repair) and express my displeasure the accuracy of CPO evaluation by the tech. They were helpful, contrite and had the car for 2.5 days for the ding repair and to replace rotors (but oddly not the pads?). In any case, no cost and I was on my way, dings addressed and braking smoothly. Well within the next day find the transmission is shifting rough, nothing crazy, just not normal. Jerks slightly when accelerating from about 15-25 mph and after that shutters or feels like it “slips” occasionally up through 60 mph. Now to be fair it’s not a “jerk you out your seat” sensation, more just rough when gradually acceleration through 60. My wife has a q7 with about 89k miles that shifts smoother. Additionally, I’ve had quite a few a8, q5 and q7 loaners that, while newer, do not share this rough shifting trait. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Just dropped vehicle off again tonight to be looked at and fear a generic response of...just shifts that way...has 36k miles on it. And I’ve driven plenty Audi’s with 3 times that mileage that go through gears like butter.

Last edited by Lofuss; 06-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Welcome.

The usual first steps for late model Audi trannies are for them to verify fluid level (and no leaks) and then (re) adapt both tranny and engine (throttle). It is a specific and fairly straight forward procedure for Audis, done electronically followed by a driving cycle. In prior times it was called "fuzzy logic" or "fuzzy learning" but now known by techs/service people as adaptation. In plain English, the key computers may need essentially a hard reset to unlearn bad habits and then learn the standard default new driving cycle and subsequently yours.
The following users liked this post:
TuffSeed (07-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default transmission

Check my reply in the past few days on the same subject. Short story, I just bailed out of a '16 myself (also with the 3.0) in part because of the shifting. I replaced it with another '16, same engine and it's perfect. Unfortunately, a dealer fluid level check, S/W update and re-adaption didn't make any significant change. My gut tells me it's not actually the transmission, it just feels like it. To me, it felt like some slop in the driveline more along the lines of a trans or engine (maybe rear diff) mount. I don't know if they made any running changes that year, the second one I bought is newer based upon the VIN #.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks much for the feedback. Well...Audi initially reported this AM, yes they do feel the shake/slip sensation, particularly between 15-25, but thought it may be related to bad gas/misfire, which didn’t really make sense. Went over entire events again and they agreed, didn’t really fit (not feeling very confident) would look over and report back. Just got call and as you’ve all accurately advised...readaptation was completed. Hoping for best, asked to drive for 500 miles to see if there has been any resolution, can’t say I feel great about it, but what can you do...will see. Oddly, not sure how I did not feel it during test drive, but felt it immediately after getting it back from initial service. I’m pretty sensitive to these things usually. A8CT, sounds very similar to your events, but hoping for better outcome. Thanks all for the input.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default No better, but guessing flex pipes

So, 500 miles later and same issue after readaptation. I think it’s the flex pipe issue that’s been discussed here, I thought it only really affected the 4.0. Revved motor and like clockwork feel a slight, but noticeable, vibration exactly between 1200-1400 RPMs. Not present under or over those rpms. Any suggestions on how to best guide dealer to it? Specific TSR for 3.0 etc or what to exactly tell them to get to issue? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Supercharger???

Well after 2 days, multiple techs being able to replicate, and multiple calls into Audi tech...I’m told Audi tech line has diagnosed as bad supercharger??? Thoughts???? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Bad supercharger? That's a first. I've never heard of engine issues with the 3.0. Basically bullet proof. That said, I did need to get downpipes replaced a while back and I have the 3.0 so they are not immune to that issue.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So just wanted to offer some closure and say thanks for the help the forum provides so I thought I’d give (hopefully) a final update to this issue. As I had said, they replaced the supercharger which did fix the “jerkiness” but not the slipping/vibration sensation.. Initially couldn’t be duplicated after replacing supercharger, then went in myself and easily duplicated with service tech. Had been pointing out the known issue with flex pipes on multiple communications until finally convinced them to put it on lift, and lo and behold, bad flex pipes. Runs smooooth now that they were also replaced and couldn’t be happier. But, may have never got there without the great support from here. Thanks again.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lofuss:
JaL3 (07-29-2019), TuffSeed (07-29-2019), virtualrc (07-29-2019)