AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Help a potential buyer? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/help-potential-buyer-2803613/)

kwilkins 04-06-2011 06:24 AM

Help a potential buyer?

I have been researching and test driving cars for a couple of months now and have a few questions I hope you can help with. I won’t bother you with all the cars I’ve considered but the two finalists (so far) were the Audi A7 and the BMW 550i sedan. I say “were” because I had an extended test drive (24 hours) of the new A7 and sadly have crossed it off my list. I loved many things about the A7 but for my liking the ride was too hard, it was too loud in the cabin, it was a tad shy in power, and the cockpit was too tight and low. All of these are obviously subjective things and I know many people will love the A7. As a side-note the A7 I drove did have the 20 inch summer tires and I understand it would have driven smoother and quieter with 19 inch all seasons, but the difference wouldn’t be enough to overcome my objections.

So, now I’ve settled on the BMW 550i and was ready to place an order when my little devil said something like “You know, you really could afford the A8 if you wanted it” damn that devil!

I do understand the 5 Series and the A8 are different kinds of cars and that the 7 series is the A8’s direct competition from BMW. I’m not a fan of the 7 series and would take the 5 over it if I stick with BMW. I love the power and handling of the 550i, and it’s not to shabby on the luxury side of things either, although certainly not up to the level of the A8.

If I get the A8 I’ll go with the short wheelbase. I’m interested to know how significantly the Sport Package option changes the A8. Specifically:

How much better does it handle cornering?

Is the ride a good deal harsher?

Is it louder in the cabin than cars without the Sport Package?

I don’t want 20 inch summer tires, can I get the Sport Package option with 19 inch all seasons?

Is the overall difference in the ride with Sport Package significant or slight?

Anything in general I haven’t asked but should know about the Sport Package?

I am going to test drive and A8 in the next few days, but unfortunately there are very few short wheelbase models in my area, and none with the Sport Package option.

On a another subject does anyone know if Audi Connect with Google Maps will be implemented in the A8 prior to the 2012 model change? I know some car makers add features mid-year, as an example BMW just added a color HUD to their 2011 5 series beginning with cars built in March.

Thanks for any advice you can share with me on the A8.

Ken

Yea Snow 04-06-2011 07:48 AM

I can answer only a few questions: previous A8 with Sport Pkg/20" Toyos - with the limiting "comfort' or Auto mode ride was still too stiff and loud for my wife; long trips for me, a bit too unforgiving on Northern Arizona/Southern Utah small highways (granted, 100 plus mph wasn't helpful). New A8 20 inch/no sport pkg. (replaced OEM tires with Hancooks) is much quieter and deeper road feel/handling; newly added 'individual' ride setting option I have tweeked to settings that we both enjoy" not nearly as stiff a ride, more forgiving when pressing hard, and little things like dialing in a bit softer suspension but with tighter steering at moderate to high speeds. In short, all criticisms we had on the D3 - resolved.

BigGrasshopper 04-06-2011 11:18 AM

19s vs 20s

This is a concern I also have.

I too will likely go with Sport package, but I don't like the thought of 20 inch wheels, not too mention the Sport wheels make the A8 look like a juiced up A4. The A8 sport wheels should be distinct, not from the Q7 or A4 parts bin.

My thoughts were to purchase 19" R8 wheels and then put the OEM summer tires on. (The front wheels on R8 are same size as A8.)