AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Help replacing audi battery using Obdeleven Pro (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/help-replacing-audi-battery-using-obdeleven-pro-2967615/)

Audi0609 02-21-2019 09:16 AM

Help with obdeleven pro

I can use some help with replacing my car battery using obdeleven pro. This my first time so please do add details.

by looking at battery picture, I can tell that:
1. Battrty part number is 000915105cf
2. Battery Capacity is 105ah

but I dont see serical number, manufacturing name or technology name.

I do see "AGM", is that manufacture name? Or technically name?

also what other info do I need inorder to code my new battety?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...f0fff2551d.jpg

Verybumpy 02-21-2019 10:28 AM

I don't think anyone has coded a new battery using OBDEleven.

I would ask the OBDEleven folks if it can even be done.

Audi0609 02-21-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Verybumpy (Post 25279507)
I don't think anyone has coded a new battery using OBDEleven.

I would ask the OBDEleven folks if it can even be done.

thanks for replying. I saw below link and it seem like its possiable. But my main issue is that my battery doesnt come with BEM sticker which has a serial number. Even if I have vcds cable. I still wont br able to code bc of missing serical number

http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/2041/battery-replacement

MP4.2+6.0 02-21-2019 03:39 PM

Picture obviously is only part of battery top, so hard to say. Regardless, using the std. VCDS approach for non OE battery brands, just take your existing BEM # and add 1 to the last digit. If you can't access the number with OBDEleven, you will need to talk w/ them. Definitely accessible/visible w VCDS.

AGM is the type of battery technology. Aborbent Glass Mat. Used in D4's generally, in various sizes. Among other technologies are Gel and conventional wet/flooded batteries.

Vendor is VARTA. May be the manufacturer in this case (based on country of origin), but also may just be a sticker for a battery made by others. Leading US actual manufacturers are East Penn, Exide and Johnson Controls. Almost all USA sorted batteries come from one of these three no matter whose brand is on it. For VARTA when made in Europe like in the picture, hard to be sure who actually makes it.

laurent0613 02-22-2019 03:20 AM

Possible but be aware that 0.9.8.8 has a bug that might prevent you from entering the SN.
See my post here : OBDEleven 0.9.8.8 bug

But you can define the capacity (the most important value for the BMS) and the manufacturer.

Manufacturer and SN are not critical at all.
VARTA manufacturer code is JCB

To do so :
Module 19 > adaptations > battery adaptation

Capacity : 105
Manufaturer : JCB
SN : blank

cheers

Audi0609 02-22-2019 05:35 AM

Cool, that makes sense and helps alot

I checked my old battery info in obdevelen by going to

> control units > gateway19 > adaptation < battery adaptation

My old battery info
  • size: 105Ah
  • Manufacturer: JCB
  • serial #: 24050881S9

Should I leave my old serial number as it is? Or just remove it? I read some where that you should just change last digits of serial number.

​new battery value will be
  • size: 105Ah
  • Manufacturer: JCB
  • serial #: 24050881S8
​​​

laurent0613 02-22-2019 05:55 AM

Hi,
As I said, you can put any value in here, it is just for information only.
The most important is the capacity value : 105Ah.
The BMS (battery mgnt system) will adjust itself to charge your new batt at correct value.

Your coding is fine

A 8 02-23-2019 12:33 AM

Another q on this.

Will the car "forget" settings etc when the battery is disconnected? Or should one try to keep the car connected to 12 v while changing.

MP4.2+6.0 02-23-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by A 8 (Post 25280285)
Another q on this.

Will the car "forget" settings etc when the battery is disconnected? Or should one try to keep the car connected to 12 v while changing.

Can't guaranty, but from D3 experience the answer is generally no, it does not lose most settings. Specifically, it would not lose the painful to restore ones like radio stations. On D3, only thing you think of a setting it would commonly lose is the clock/date. D4 pulls that from Nav info IIRC, so should probably auto update. It would also lose the one touch window up or down feature, which the D4 likely will too. To restore, you cycle each window full down and full up while holding switch. After that, it should work again.

A 8 02-23-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 25280387)
Can't guaranty, but from D3 experience the answer is generally no, it does not lose most settings. Specifically, it would not lose the painful to restore ones like radio stations. On D3, only thing you think of a setting it would commonly lose is the clock/date. D4 pulls that from Nav info IIRC, so should probably auto update. It would also lose the one touch window up or down feature, which the D4 likely will too. To restore, you cycle each window full down and full up while holding switch. After that, it should work again.

Great, I'll take my changes that you are correct and will try to change tomorrow and report back.