A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Hole Hits My Parked 3 Week Old 2015 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Sorry to see this..... our BMW was just backed into over the holidays. The guy that did it came into the store looking for us and was very apologetic.

As to the repair of your car. It seems a competent body shop should be able to repair the tear in the panel in front of the tire and clean up the rest of the damage with a hammer and dolly.
Sorry about your car, but atleast you got an honest person over there.

I hope your A/S8 never needs rear body work like mine, you'll see how a delicate procedure it is in our cars. In a strange way, it kind of adds to the mystique of owning the Audi flagship.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Official estimates are in.

$20,399 damages.

2 months to fix it.

Oy vey.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill

$20,399 damages.

2 months to fix it.

Oy vey.
Well that sucks.

And my colleagues wonder why I'm not chatting away and ignoring traffic when I pick them up at the airport....
Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ravill

$20,399 damages.

2 months to fix it.

Oy vey.
Holy crap! Did your insurance company agree to that amount? Sure seems high for the amount of damage, even with the aluminum body. I had a front left quarter panel replaced on an aluminum body Jaguar XJR a few years ago and it was fairly reasonable and the body shop was a Jaguar certified shop with all of the correct tools for the job.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
Holy crap! Did your insurance company agree to that amount? Sure seems high for the amount of damage, even with the aluminum body. I had a front left quarter panel replaced on an aluminum body Jaguar XJR a few years ago and it was fairly reasonable and the body shop was a Jaguar certified shop with all of the correct tools for the job.
"...front left quarter panel..." Not so fast.

It's either a front fender, or it's a rear quarter panel --- two very different parts.

Replacement of a front fender is a piece of cake in terms of labor and cost---unbolt to remove old panel and bolt in new panel, while replacing a rear quarter panel (aka rear fender) involves a lot more detail work: cutting, matching up the replacement panel correctly and cutting to fit, aluminum welding, smoothing, etc.

From Ravill's photo, it appears that they have to cut into, and repair, the wheel well structure and whatever underlying structure elements are underneath there. Add in the door repair, wheel repair or replacement (and I'd likely look at replacing that tire, if it took some of the impact) and I can see the cost approaching $20K. I would have bet a minimum of $15K.

I can't wait to see what the estimate is to just repair the ding on my car's hood and repaint it. But that's another story.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L

It's either a front fender, or it's a rear quarter panel --- two very different parts.

Replacement of a front fender is a piece of cake in terms of labor and cost---unbolt to remove old panel and bolt in new panel, while replacing a rear quarter panel (aka rear fender) involves a lot more detail work: cutting, matching up the replacement panel correctly and cutting to fit, aluminum welding, smoothing, etc.

From Ravill's photo, it appears that they have to cut into, and repair, the wheel well structure and whatever underlying structure elements are underneath there. Add in the door repair, wheel repair or replacement (and I'd likely look at replacing that tire, if it took some of the impact) and I can see the cost approaching $20K. I would have bet a minimum of $15K.

I can't wait to see what the estimate is to just repair the ding on my car's hood and repaint it. But that's another story.
Don't forget all the paint work that will have to go into "blending". I could not accept anything less than a perfect job.

Like derf says, this part of our cars is like the worst part to need replacing.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L

Yes, it was a left front fender and did not require any cutting or splicing of aluminum, but $20K, really?! That's a lot of extra body work labor because the parts cost is probably no worse than replacing a fender and the painting would also be pretty straight forward.

Of course, it is what it is--that's why I asked if his insurance company agreed with the estimate. They're the ones that keep the body shops honest.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

When these repair charges approach this level, isn't anyone looking for video camera info, etc.?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Might be cheaper to total the car and get a new one if that really is the final repair cost.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
When these repair charges approach this level, isn't anyone looking for video camera info, etc.?

I asked around to the shops that were open and around, nothing, zip, nada. The movie theater I was at didn't have a camera (that they admitted to me) that looked that far down the street.

What more due deligence can I do? I don't want to loose my cash that I have to pay for my deductible either!

Originally Posted by xradman
Might be cheaper to total the car and get a new one if that really is the final repair cost.
Hmmm, three week old $130k car and $20k of damage... I was under the impression that about 1/2 the value of the car in damages was the approximate number.

Even with (3 weeks and 1100 miles later, sheesh) of depreciation, the car is probably still "worth" $100k?

Quick Reply: A-Hole Hits My Parked 3 Week Old 2015 S8