A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horror movie sounds - A8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same sound in my 2011, it wasn't as grindy as yours though. Like a countdown almost, 4 times. Sounded sort of like an actuator retrying something a few times before giving up. It never manifested itself as a problem and was the same for 6+ years.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interestingly i hear the same noise from time to time... exact same tone.
i assumed it was the belt tensioner? try disabling it and see if that changes anything?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Solid
interestingly i hear the same noise from time to time... exact same tone.
i assumed it was the belt tensioner? try disabling it and see if that changes anything?
Quick update - I unplugged the MMI cable in the armrest and it got a little better for a few days, but then the noise came back - so ruled that out.

I will disable the belt tension mechanism tonight and see if it helps (thanks for the idea). The dealership believes its coming from the center console. They want to take the interior apart and see if they can find an actuator for rear AC that is getting jammed. It appears alot of the equipment for the rear AC is located under the arm-rest. I am on the fence - the noise is bothersome, but we have gotten numb to it.

Not sure I am a fan of having parts pulled on the interior and possibly get the car returned with something left out - causing another noise/issue. Let's see where this goes.

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmk786
Quick update - I unplugged the MMI cable in the armrest and it got a little better for a few days, but then the noise came back - so ruled that out.

I will disable the belt tension mechanism tonight and see if it helps (thanks for the idea). The dealership believes its coming from the center console. They want to take the interior apart and see if they can find an actuator for rear AC that is getting jammed. It appears alot of the equipment for the rear AC is located under the arm-rest. I am on the fence - the noise is bothersome, but we have gotten numb to it.

Not sure I am a fan of having parts pulled on the interior and possibly get the car returned with something left out - causing another noise/issue. Let's see where this goes.

Thanks to all for the input.
I totally agree... Dissembling interior decor always brings more creaks and rattles than it fixes... And leaves a trail of scratches and disassembly clues behind.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Solid
I totally agree... Dissembling interior decor always brings more creaks and rattles than it fixes... And leaves a trail of scratches and disassembly clues behind.
I don't know, I carefully disassembled my center console on my D4 and reassembled it without leaving any new marks or noises. I don't know that I would want to do it without reason, but if it's necessary sure. However, in this case, I think the dealer is just guessing.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all - thought I would share an update. Last visit to my dealer for service I happened to be shooting the breeze with a tech by the coffee machine. General chit chat about the new A8 resulting in me bringing up the noise, which has been plaguing me for two years. This mild mannered, burly looking man, looks at me and states, "oh, that is an easy fix, if its the same issue I encountered a few months ago". I stormed over to the my adviser and introduce Mike the tech, who is going to change my life. Mike proceeds to explain to the both of us, there is a software parameter, when enabled, will send data from the on-board computer to the key FOB with diagnostics information. The data transfer would happen during start-up and periodically on long drives. This was a program that Audi either never launched or discontinued. I scheduled service, got an Q8 for loaner (so buttery), another story. Got my car back in one day - bingo, bango - no more noise. Mike did mention, if anyone were to do another software update, it would over-write the configuration. Man, I couldn't be happier. No taking apart dash board or clusters. Wish it would have happened sooner, but still got 15 months remaining on the lease, No more hamster noises. :-)

Thanks for everyone's input. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone know what to tell the shop/dealer to disable? This noise is somewhat annoying.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shield
Anyone know what to tell the shop/dealer to disable? This noise is somewhat annoying.
Creating a video of the noise and presenting the data to the service advisor and technician worked best for me. As I mentioned, they will be quick to dismiss it, but be persistent. Best wishes with the solution.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you tell me which dealership you went to?
Old 03-17-2021, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jackey6621
Could you tell me which dealership you went to?
Audi Plano (Autonation). Tech was Mike S. Great team to work with. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Horror movie sounds - A8L