A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to increase B&0 volume for various inputs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default How to increase B&0 volume for various inputs

Following up on some recent posts, I again looked into the issue of how to increase the volume of the B&O systems. Recent CPO 2015 S8 in this case. Some of us have noticed the upper volume max (34) is perhaps not as loud as it could be and still have good sound reproduction. As in, push it all the way to 34 with decent input and it does not seems to distort. A variety of posts are around various boards grousing about it, one suggesting what I document here but without much detail about exactly which inputs, and a number dealing with controlling the baseline volume level (or muting it). That last item is a different Hidden Menu screen for anyone interested.

So, skipping the prior attempts, what I found is indeed you can push the volume up, input by input. You do it through the input gain offset settings in the Hidden Menu. The increase in output volume was clear and easy to hear before vs. after, essentially real time based on how you can make the changes while playing the source. The volume scale still is 1-34, but loudness to the ear is greater at a given volume setting.

How to:
  1. Enter Hidden Menu. Hint: if you don't know what this is, you probably shouldn't be thinking about this... Has to be enabled with VCDS for those of us who have used and played with it. Reminder even for me, once enabled you enter by pushing MENU and CAR together. Has to be done at the same time, and it is finicky. I held my fingers in such a way as to see button lights. If I saw light go on with either button, no go. Only if both buttons pressed at exactly the same time and you hear the click detent but see no button lights, are you on your way in to Hidden Menu.
  2. Once at Hidden Menu, choose audiomanagement. (4th picture below)
  3. At next screen, choose inputgainoffset. (5th picture)
  4. Inputgainoffset is a two page screen if you scroll down. I took a picture of screen here pre-any tweaks in case I want to back up or back out. (1st and 2nd pictures) Clicking on any line with the wheel allows you to then increase or decrease that line with the wheel. Click again and it accepts the change. You immediately hear the volume difference as soon as you click the wheel to lock in the new input setting.
  5. Note the labels. The ones that start "MU" are the music ones. I focused on MUCD, MU AUX ADAPT and MU BT Device, plus SDARS. MU CD is the basic CD player--never even tried it until I stuck a CD in for this. MU AUX ADAPT is the AMI interface, in my case now a discarded prior Lightning iPhone hard cabled (yellow grommet cable, which also displays album art). MU BT Device is coming in via A2DP Bluetooth. SDARS is the Sirius (sat) radio. Picture 3 is where I ended up on the specific settings, with more notes below.

Specifics on various input settings:
  • Bottom line, I pushed up volume a good amount on the MU AUX ADAPT input for the hard cable AMI. Started at 4, ended at 12. I tried all the way to the max (13), but it seemed distorted some at max volume. I used a variety of classic rock, vocal and Spanish guitar tracks to try to assess. I backed it off as low as 9, thought 10 was good at one point, but then concluded back at 12 and tested with several tracks. As long as you stay on the same input (like AMI), you can keep testing while changing the gain setting. If you switch to a different input (like Sirius or CD or radio), it exits Hidden Menu. Thus, to test each input, I had to re enter the Hidden Menu several times and pick up where I left off after I had switched to a different input choice. I will monitor in coming days with many more tracks and see if 12 stays apparently distortion free with high volume or if I should back it off some.
  • No surprise to me honestly, but MU BT Device, aka A2DP, aka bluetooth music, was a bust. Very little input boost and distortion city. I ended up leaving it where it was. Thus I started and ended at -1. Both my iTunes library in the slave hard cabled device and the iPhone 6S I was using for A2DP have mirrored libraries at 320K bit rate, so source material is good.
  • I couldn't be sure on SDARS (Sirius) since sound quality isn't that great, but moved it up a fair amount. Started at 3, ended at 9. I may have it somewhat too high; needs more listening.
  • I found on MUCD (basic CD) it was already set to a good amount of apparent loudness even with its not very aggressive gain setting. Started at -3, ended at 2. Thus i could not push it up to the same numerical value as MU AUX ADAPT (cabled AMI) but it was plenty loud. At anything like the highest setting it clearly distorted, badly. I was using an original CD (Spanish acoustic guitar), the same as one of my AMI test tracks.
  • I did not try to play with FM. I have a hard time believing I would even want to push that, though honestly have not even done the presets and tried digital station choices. I also have no experience with the jukebox (on board hard drive) or the SD slots, so others would have to chime in there.

If you simplify the above, perhaps increasing each starting value by around 6 was maybe the quick first shortcut. But, the bluetooth input just was not up to snuff for any meaningful change. Also, notice that I was going for maximum undistorted volume by input, as opposed to the volume being balanced across the inputs when switched. The latter is more the intended function of these settings, and I haven't checked for obvious big differences. If I notice some that are material, I may tweak further.

Pictures below. Most important are the starting screens ("before"--1st and 2nd pictures) and where I ended up ("after"--3rd picture). I did not end up changing the MU BT Device setting on the second page, so there is no "after" picture. Later pictures (4 and 5) are the sequence of basic Hidden Menu screens to get to the input gain screens.

Others' experiences welcome, including any others involving fidelity sound reproduction from various other listed inputs.
Attached Images      

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Others' experiences welcome, including any others involving fidelity sound reproduction.[/QUOTE]

thanks for this detailed change, much appreciated. Don't want to hijack the thread... Looks like we have the same version- have you been able to rip to jukebox directly from cd? The directions that I have found on the forums discuss change to 4/4 which doesn't exist on my hidden menu.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by walko789
thanks for this detailed change, much appreciated. Don't want to hijack the thread... Looks like we have the same version- have you been able to rip to jukebox directly from cd? The directions that I have found on the forums discuss change to 4/4 which doesn't exist on my hidden menu.
Quasi OT: No experience w/ jukebox. Easier for me (old dog) to manage it via iTunes, especially with more than one Audi w/ same 3G set up and my D3 that was also AMI. Q5 forum has had discussion of it in past.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Quasi OT: No experience w/ jukebox. Easier for me (old dog) to manage it via iTunes, especially with more than one Audi w/ same 3G set up and my D3 that was also AMI. Q5 forum has had discussion of it in past.
thanks MP4.2.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following up on some recent posts, I again looked into the issue of how to increase the volume of the B&O systems. Recent CPO 2015 S8 in this case. Some of us have noticed the upper volume max (34) is perhaps not as loud as it could be and still have good sound reproduction. As in, push it all the way to 34 with decent input and it does not seems to distort. A variety of posts are around various boards grousing about it, one suggesting what I document here but without much detail about exactly which inputs, and a number dealing with controlling the baseline volume level (or muting it). That last item is a different Hidden Menu screen for anyone interested.

So, skipping the prior attempts, what I found is indeed you can push the volume up, input by input. You do it through the input gain offset settings in the Hidden Menu. The increase in output volume was clear and easy to hear before vs. after, essentially real time based on how you can make the changes while playing the source. The volume scale still lis 1-34, but loudness to the ear is greater at a given volume setting.

How to:
  1. Enter Hidden Menu. Hint: if you don't know what this is, you probably shouldn't be thinking about this... Has to be enabled with VCDS for those of us who have used and played with it. Reminder even for me, once enabled you enter by pushing MENU and CAR together. Has to be done at the same time, and it is finicky. I held my fingers in such a way as to see button lights. If I saw light go on with either button, no go. Only if both buttons pressed at exactly the same time and you hear the click detent but see no button lights, are you on your way in to Hidden Menu.
  2. Once at Hidden Menu, choose audiomanagement. (4th picture below)
  3. At next screen, choose inputgainoffset. (5th picture)
  4. Inputgainoffset is a two page screen if you scroll down. I took a picture of screen here pre-any tweaks in case I want to back up or back out. (1st and 2nd pictures) Clicking on any line with the wheel allows you to then increase or decrease that line with the wheel. Click again and it accepts the change. You immediately hear the volume difference as soon as you click the wheel to lock in the new input setting.
  5. Note the labels. The ones that start "MU" are the music ones. I focused on MUCD, MU AUX ADAPT and MU BT Device, plus SDARS. MU CD is the basic CD player--never even tried it until I stuck a CD in for this. MU AUX ADAPT is the AMI interface, in my case now a discarded prior Lightning iPhone hard cabled (yellow grommet cable, which also displays album art). MU BT Device is coming in via A2DP Bluetooth. SDARS is the Sirius (sat) radio. Picture 3 is where I ended up on the specific settings, with more notes below.

Specifics on various input settings:
  • Bottom line, I pushed up volume a good amount on the MU AUX ADAPT input for the hard cable AMI. Started at 4, ended at 12. I tried all the way to the max (13), but it seemed distorted some at max volume. I used a variety of classic rock, vocal and Spanish guitar tracks to try to assess. I backed it off as low as 9, thought 10 was good at one point, but then concluded back at 12 and tested with several tracks. As long as you stay on the same input (like AMI), you can keep testing while changing the gain setting. If you switch to a different input (like Sirius or CD or radio), it exits Hidden Menu. Thus, to test each input, I had to re enter the Hidden Menu several times and pick up where I left off after I had switched to a different input choice. I will monitor in coming days with many more tracks and see if 12 stays apparently distortion free with high volume or if I should back it off some.
  • No surprise to me honestly, but MU BT Device, aka A2DP, aka bluetooth music, was a bust. Very little input boost and distortion city. I ended up leaving it where it was. Thus I started and ended at -1. Both my iTunes library in the slave hard cabled device and the iPhone 6S I was using for A2DP have mirrored libraries at 320K bit rate, so source material is good.
  • I couldn't be sure on SDARS (Sirius) since sound quality isn't that great, but moved it up a fair amount. Started at 3, ended at 9. I may have it somewhat too high; needs more listening.
  • I found on MUCD (basic CD) it was already set to a good amount of apparent loudness even with its not very aggressive gain setting. Started at -3, ended at 2. Thus i could not push it up to the same numerical value as MU AUX ADAPT (cabled AMI) but it was plenty loud. At anything like the highest setting it clearly distorted, badly. I was using an original CD (Spanish acoustic guitar), the same as one of my AMI test tracks.
  • I did not try to play with FM. I have a hard time believing I would even want to push that, though honestly have not even done the presets and tried digital station choices. I also have no experience with the jukebox (on board hard drive) or the SD slots, so others would have to chime in there.

If you simplify the above, perhaps increasing each starting value by around 6 was maybe the quick first shortcut. But, the bluetooth input just was not up to snuff for any meaningful change. Also, notice that I was going for maximum undistorted volume by input, as opposed to the volume being balanced across the inputs when switched. The latter is more the intended function of these settings, and I haven't checked for obvious big differences. If I notice some that are material, I may tweak further.

Pictures below. Most important are the starting screens ("before"--1st and 2nd pictures) and where I ended up ("after"--3rd picture). I did not end up changing the MU BT Device setting on the second page, so there is no "after" picture. Later pictures (4 and 5) are the sequence of basic Hidden Menu screens to get to the input gain screens.

Others' experiences welcome, including any others involving fidelity sound reproduction from various other listed inputs.
outstanding post! i just picked up my D4 with BandO. At first my yellow lightning cable worked, but the volume was so low even at max. now the cable does not work. i loads the device, very very slowly and then does not control the music. any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by robertsalem
outstanding post! i just picked up my D4 with BandO. At first my yellow lightning cable worked, but the volume was so low even at max. now the cable does not work. i loads the device, very very slowly and then does not control the music. any thoughts?
Mine is yellow on AMI plug end too. 4F0 051 510AL

Try the three button MMI reset per the manual. Power cycle the device too. After that no real ideas w/ out a scan. Also try it with A2DP (bluetooth audio). Not the hot set up for best fidelity, but allows basic test to confirm if it is the cable or something else if the same device works w/ A2DP.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-19-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is yellow on AMI plug end too. 4F0 051 510AL

Try the three button MMI reset per the manual. Power cycle the device too. After that no real ideas w/ out a scan. Also try it with A2DP (bluetooth audio). Not the hot set up for best fidelity, but allows basic test to confirm if it is the cable or something else if the same device works w/ A2DP.
ok, i did a reset on the phone and now works great, thanks.

the hidden menu though, how do i get in? can i just push menu and car at the same time, it did not work. volume is too low with iPhone music.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It needs to be enabled via VCDS, otherwise it is entirely inaccessible.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It needs to be enabled via VCDS, otherwise it is entirely inaccessible.
ok, i cannot do that.

is it possible to do so remotely?

will have to take to dealer and see what they can do then?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope, has to be done directly. It depends on the dealer as to whether or not they will do anything like that for you. A large number of members have the cable for VCDS, it's absolutely invaluable if you plan on doing any of your own repairs or maintenance.

Quick Reply: How to increase B&0 volume for various inputs