A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Often Do You Wash Your D4 ??

Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default How Often Do You Wash Your D4 ??

As any owner of a black automobile will attest, darker colors need to be cleaned more often since they tend to show every speck of dirt. Prior to my Phantom Black Pearl Effect D4, I had a white-ish Cadillac CTS that got washed about once a month because it never looked dirty. The Mighty Audi on the other hand seems to need it about twice a week, depending on how much rain we've had.

So to answer my question, I average 3 times a month. Having a good wax helps. Then there is this product I bought and can't live without:

Brush Hero

Cleans the wheels perfectly every time with only regular soap (McGuire's) and water.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Guess it depends on the weather. Been having a lot of rain lately....so no point.
Nicely weather once a week at best, or a quick detail here and there.

I have an S8 white, a nightmare with brake dust. Also, dirt on white really dulls the colour.

NEWS - I literally just had my car ceramic coated by a pro detailer (pricey) but it has made a night and day difference with what sticks to the car and even the brake dust is a million times better.
If you haven't done this, I highly recommend completing a ceramic coat on your car. Worth the investment.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelzo
NEWS - I literally just had my car ceramic coated by a pro detailer (pricey) but it has made a night and day difference with what sticks to the car and even the brake dust is a million times better.
If you haven't done this, I highly recommend completing a ceramic coat on your car. Worth the investment.
Second the ceramic coating recommendation
Old 09-30-2018, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a black A8 and live in the countryside in the wet part of Scotland thus there's a lot of dirt going about to mess the car up. I normally snow foam and rinse one weekend and then the next do a full wash, snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash, rinse and then dry with leaf blower. My pressure washer died last weekend so car is going to be a bit messy till I pick up another one.

I would thoroughly recommend this stuff for cleaning alloy wheels https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Wheel-Cleaner-Litre/dp/B00871509U

This is also great for finishing. Almost like a spray on ceramic coating. I've been very impressed with it and how it performs https://carpro.uk.com/products/hydro2-lite-ready-to-use-advanced-coating-1000ml
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure if you have a garage or not will affect how many times you need to wash as well. I do not recommend using a powered toilet brush to do it. Lol.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
I am sure if you have a garage or not will affect how many times you need to wash as well. I do not recommend using a powered toilet brush to do it. Lol.
It's OK.......... I clean it off between bowls!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My D4: Garaged car in California for weekends only, means perhaps twice a year.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My S8 is garaged, but it’s my daily driver. It’s white with grey wheels. The white hides the dirt, but it does look dull after a week or two. The wheels are the color of brake dust but the brake dust is ridiculous with this car. I end up cleaning the wheels in between a full wash to keep it looking clean.

I probably wash it perhaps once or twice per month. Luckily I work from my home, otherwise it would need washed weekly. We also have other vehicles so when it’s clean and the rain or snow is around, the S8 tends to hide on the garage until the sun re-emerges. If it’s dirty, then for sure it’s going out to get a natural shower before the cleaning cycle starts again.

i just do two annual waxings, usually in the fall and spring. The wax helps quite a bit to keep the car cleaner longer. I’m sure ceramic has other advantages, but I enjoy the waxing process and don’t mind doing it. It’s cathartic.

I have been guilty of taking it through the car wash especially in winter when it’s just too cold to go out with a bucket and hose, but I really don’t like doing that. The paint on the D4 seems more susceptible to scratching than the paint I had on my 2001 D2 S8. That thing had the most unbelievable paint depth in pearl white. And it was tough as nails. The D4, not so much.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris355
My S8 is garaged, but it’s my daily driver. It’s white with grey wheels. The white hides the dirt, but it does look dull after a week or two. The wheels are the color of brake dust but the brake dust is ridiculous with this car. I end up cleaning the wheels in between a full wash to keep it looking clean.

I probably wash it perhaps once or twice per month. Luckily I work from my home, otherwise it would need washed weekly. We also have other vehicles so when it’s clean and the rain or snow is around, the S8 tends to hide on the garage until the sun re-emerges. If it’s dirty, then for sure it’s going out to get a natural shower before the cleaning cycle starts again.

i just do two annual waxings, usually in the fall and spring. The wax helps quite a bit to keep the car cleaner longer. I’m sure ceramic has other advantages, but I enjoy the waxing process and don’t mind doing it. It’s cathartic.

I have been guilty of taking it through the car wash especially in winter when it’s just too cold to go out with a bucket and hose, but I really don’t like doing that. The paint on the D4 seems more susceptible to scratching than the paint I had on my 2001 D2 S8. That thing had the most unbelievable paint depth in pearl white. And it was tough as nails. The D4, not so much.
I also like washing my own car it is cathartic (until you see new rock damage The car washes recycle water, have sand particles in the water and cannot clean all the corners and crevices and I prefer my own cleaning products. In the winter I hook my hose up to our utility sink and I find if I wash with warm water its not a problem in the cold weather.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 AM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by katzjamr
I also like washing my own car it is cathartic (until you see new rock damage The car washes recycle water, have sand particles in the water and cannot clean all the corners and crevices and I prefer my own cleaning products. In the winter I hook my hose up to our utility sink and I find if I wash with warm water its not a problem in the cold weather.
I've also found that the local self-wash is a great Winter alternative...but I take my own wash mitt-on-a-pole and use it in lieu of their hard bristle foaming brush which I'll use only on my wheels.
It's $2.00 for a 4 minute cycle, so I start with an under carriage plain water spray attack, then foam brush the wheels. Then I pre-soak for the remaining time.....I really lather the car up until the time expires. I take out my mitt and do the whole car, then put in another $2.00 for the rinse. I do a couple of final passes with spot free rinse then pull out my flexible silicon squeege which does an admirable job of drying windows and sheet metal (or aluminum).

Depending on winter conditions, I try to do it twice a month. Same routing for my wife's Volvo XC60.....black of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Often Do You Wash Your D4 ??