A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

Hydrophobic glass ?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrophobic glass ?

Had my 2013 W12 less than 2 weeks. The windshield appears to have a hydrophobic coating. Not sure if it is part of the Audi glass , or an aftermarket product that has been applied. (My wife's Lexus sc430 has the Lexus hydrophobic windshield, and it works great)

Anybody have any info on the windshield ?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing unusual about glass to me--or prior Audi's. Probably just a RainX type product. If so, I try to avoid those on swept area where wipers travel. They seem to gum up wipers and cause chatter longer term.

I had my 2015 S8 one replaced in last month. Aside from the lots of sensors stuff, nothing unusual noted either when new OE one was loose from car or in its packaging.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-08-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
Nothing unusual about glass to me--or prior Audi's. Probably just a RainX type product. If so, I try to avoid those on swept area where wipers travel. They seem to gum up wipers and cause chatter longer term.
+1
I have run into this chatter issue before. New wipers didn't fix it. Turns out the gumming up effects the windshield, too. I had to clean the windshield with alcohol to get my wipers to stop chattering.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've use Rain-X and AquaPel(?) for years on BMW and Audis

Originally Posted by Jack88 View Post
+1
I have run into this chatter issue before. New wipers didn't fix it. Turns out the gumming up effects the windshield, too. I had to clean the windshield with alcohol to get my wipers to stop chattering.
The wipers gum up because of road residue, diesel slobber, whatever. I don't believe the rain-x or aquapel are the cause. And yes, 93% or so rubbing alcohol every few months works well to remove whatever builds up. I also put a quart of 93% isopropyl alcohol in the w/s washer fluid tank along with a tablespoon of SimpleGreen and a 1/2cup of ammonia if I just use water. Generally I prefer Rain-X summer washer fluid plus the alcohol. Works wonders for bugs and hasn't damaged my paint or waxed paint.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The wipers gum up because of road residue, diesel slobber, whatever. I don't believe the rain-x or aquapel are the cause. And yes, 93% or so rubbing alcohol every few months works well to remove whatever builds up. I also put a quart of 93% isopropyl alcohol in the w/s washer fluid tank along with a tablespoon of SimpleGreen and a 1/2cup of ammonia if I just use water. Generally I prefer Rain-X summer washer fluid plus the alcohol. Works wonders for bugs and hasn't damaged my paint or waxed paint.

I'm convinced it is 99.99% likely from RainX. Apply on whole glass, and a few hundred miles later with lots of winter wiper use, skip-a-roo. Like other reply, strip with alcohol, no more skip-a-roo. Repeat w/ identical drive now stripped, identical distance, same weather ,etc. no skip. That is, I tried it a few times in winter weather on trips to Tahoe with snow, slush, etc. when in car for hours with wipers on trudging up mountains in slow traffic. Different vehicles as well for some of the A:B. Not exactly bug or sap conditions either in winter. Thus when I do windshield now and use it, I just do the non swept areas. Helps shed the water and snow crud.

RainX pre mix if that's what you mean is a no-no on Audi's from my vantage point, separate from the skipping issue with the concentrate stuff you apply by hand. They finally issued a TSB on it IIRC. A bunch of Q5 guys found out it--the jug stuff--led to problems. Agreed on sometimes just DIY a mix. For that I sometimes just use 20/20 and distilled water, with the 93$ alcohol by winter. Neither affect the skipping, though sometimes if I clean blades with rubbing alcohol that can help. But more generally, decent shape blades and std. fluid and I can go life of blades no skipping. RainX is what changes the equation for me, absolutely cause and effect given A:B comparo's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-08-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My Audi manual says:
Do not use water-repellant coatings on the windscreen. In bad visibility conditions such as light rain, low sun or when driving at night these coatings can cause increased dazzle, which is a serious safety hazard. Such coatings can also cause the wiper blade to judder.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use Rain-X original applied monthly ALL the time on my vehicles including the Audi's and have never seen chattering wipers, but then again I rarely if ever turn them on, but if and when I do, have never experienced wiper chatter anyway.

Have never had bad visibility or "increased dazzle" whatever that means either. I love the stuff honestly, and the wife is impressed enough that she makes me do her windshield now too. The harder it rains and the faster you go, the better it works also.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If your wipers chatter,....

Originally Posted by KnappAttack View Post
I use Rain-X original applied monthly ALL the time on my vehicles including the Audi's and have never seen chattering wipers, but then again I rarely if ever turn them on, but if and when I do, have never experienced wiper chatter anyway.

Have never had bad visibility or "increased dazzle" whatever that means either. I love the stuff honestly, and the wife is impressed enough that she makes me do her windshield now too. The harder it rains and the faster you go, the better it works also.
...it means that you didn't sufficiently polish the windshield after applying RainX. There are three steps required after application. One, wipe the haze off. Two, polish with a new, clean cloth. Three, wipe and polish the entire covered windshield with a new clean cloth and drops of water. If you fulfill these three steps, taking about two minutes to complete, you won't experience chattering again.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 PM

I guess we add RainX to politics, religion, brake pads and K&N filters list. Other nominations?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
I guess we add RainX to politics, religion, brake pads and K&N filters list. Other nominations?

Yes, yes! The list cannot be considered complete without Xpel and Opticoat (and competing products), particularly the order of application liturgy