A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am so angry right now!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I am so angry right now!

So before I bought my 2013 CPO A8 I did an online chat with Audio USA and was told the car has T-Mobile. I explained that T-Mobile doesn't work where I live. They said no problem just make an appointment with your local dealer and they will install the AT&T device. So I call and make the appointment 2 weeks ago. I call back a few days later just to verify everything is set. They again reassure me that it will be fine. They checked my Vin all is good. So I take the 3 hour trip yesterday to the dealer. 3 hours after I dropped off my car they call me and tell me that theyou can't do the upgrade. Needless to say I was upset. I called Audio Connect and they tell me I'm not sure allowed to upgrade but they will give me a free month of T-Mobile and to call them back if it doesn't work in my area. So I get home and it doesn't work. I knew it wouldn't work but I figure this is just one of the steps they have to go through. I call them this morning to let them know it in fact doesn't work. They tell me sorry but they have no intention of ever of making it work and that I should go buy a new car.

Anyone have any insight on where to go from here?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Doesn't add up. I thought they were changing out modems on all of the 2013s. They did it on our 2013 Q5, which has same Audi Connect set up and had same issue. We have the service and actually had appt. past the Mobile service change date. Sure enough it stepped down to 2G. Post change back to 3G.

Search other boards for the original info on it. There was a mailer we got. Don't recall if there was a TSB about it too. Q5 board is highest volume sales board. Then try C7 A6 board or A7/S7 board. The more expensive the car, the more likely people were using the service and cared.

You may also be wrestling with the classic podunk dealer stereotype. I use a high volume dealer on SF Peninsula. They see expensive Audis all day long, as I do on road. Not a lot of D4's (some still), but plenty of Q5s, Q7's, A7's, some A6/S6, etc. If this is Billings or something, they probably see few on a daily basis, few new ones, and few well equipped ones. If it were Denver, probably a lot better luck. Or Aspen or ... And in there might be plan B. Call a dealership in Denver or some other place with a bigger base of Audis. Not that you would go there, but just play along and probe to see if they know the issue, the repair and the applicability to your car. On the other hand, you got shined on once, so not clear if maybe an issue w/ your VIN after all or something. Getting back to the Audi source material--mailer, nd TSB, etc. would be the reference to check.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't trust anything Audi American says about it. I've been told that absolutely without question the only thing that would work in my car was the Audi supplied T-Mobil SIM. Not true.

I went to a cooperative AT&T store and they supplied a SIM and after I gave them info out of MMI it works fine, even the Audi Connect.

Now, mine is a '15, but if I were you, I would give AT&T a try. Talk to the AT&T store and I'll bet they will allow you to try the SIM and if it doesn't work you won't be charged.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An a new owner, I am still wondering what services I would get by activating the T-Mobile SIM that I don't already have on my iPhone, except the use of the car's big screen.

Could someone shine a light?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Weird. Had the same issue with the T-Mobile modem, except it could work in my area, but I wanted to tether it to my AT&T account. Dealer quickly agreed to replace my modem, or whatever equipment they needed to, then I had to call Audi to get an AT&T SIM card from them (the one from AT&T store doesn't work, have to use the Audi AT&T SIM, for me at least) and all is well. I like having the wi-fi in the car and do occasionally use the google search feature for restaurants. I like that it gives you the address and the phone number in case I want to call for reservations. And it all works great through the voice activation feature. And for $10/month, it's worth it to me. I wouldn't pay $30 for it probably.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Recent reports indicate the requirements have changed for the free modem update in those areas affected by the T-Mobile 3G frequency change (same 3G as AT&T uses). It used to be you only had to have an Audi Connect T-Mo active plan even if only for one month. Apparently now you have to be an original owner with a continuous Audi Connect subscription since the car was new. If true, this is bad news for those of us who switched to a different T-Mo provider or purchased the car used.

Note that only 2014+ models had the new modem already installed at the factory. If you have an earlier model year without the modem update, the only 3G you can receive is T-Mobile. AT&T will only work at 2G speeds due to the different 3G frequency.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a wierd experience once with my AT&T iPhone. It wouldn't let me make calls and said I wasn't subscribed? Turned car off & back on and all back to normal on a 2011 D4. Never did it before or since ??it recognized directory but that's it.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Recent reports indicate the requirements have changed for the free modem update in those areas affected by the T-Mobile 3G frequency change (same 3G as AT&T uses). It used to be you only had to have an Audi Connect T-Mo active plan even if only for one month. Apparently now you have to be an original owner with a continuous Audi Connect subscription since the car was new. If true, this is bad news for those of us who switched to a different T-Mo provider or purchased the car used.

Note that only 2014+ models had the new modem already installed at the factory. If you have an earlier model year without the modem update, the only 3G you can receive is T-Mobile. AT&T will only work at 2G speeds due to the different 3G frequency.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a functioning illiterate when it comes to T-mo vs. AT&T vs. 2G, 3G, etc. but I have had Audi Connect T-mo plan since purchasing my A8L and never had a problem. We routinely travel the East Coast between SC and PA with forays into WV, TN, VA etc. and have 3G most all the time. My wife is constantly on her iPad while we are underway and believe me, she would let me know if there was an issue or decrease in wifi reception.

So, am I lucky; inattentive; blissfully ignorant or what? 😜 I read all these various posts and wonder whether to ask or just shut up and drive!!
Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a functioning illiterate when it comes to T-mo vs. AT&T vs. 2G, 3G, etc. but I have had Audi Connect T-mo plan since purchasing my A8L and never had a problem. We routinely travel the East Coast between SC and PA with forays into WV, TN, VA etc. and have 3G most all the time. My wife is constantly on her iPad while we are underway and believe me, she would let me know if there was an issue or decrease in wifi reception.

So, am I lucky; inattentive; blissfully ignorant or what? 😜 I read all these various posts and wonder whether to ask or just shut up and drive!!
As I mentioned previously, T-Mo is changing their 3G freq to match that of AT&T, region by region acreoss the U.S, as part of their 4G LTE expansion. Those who have MY2013 or older with Audi Connect is losing their 3G speed down to the much slower 2G speed as T-Mo does the 3G change in a region. It then requires a modem update to get back to the 3G speed. Eventually, the entire country will be affected.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As I mentioned previously, T-Mo is changing their 3G freq to match that of AT&T, region by region acreoss the U.S, as part of their 4G LTE expansion. Those who have MY2013 or older with Audi Connect is losing their 3G speed down to the much slower 2G speed as T-Mo does the 3G change in a region. It then requires a modem update to get back to the 3G speed. Eventually, the entire country will be affected.
Thank you. But if I understand your previous post, since I have had Audi Connect since original purchase, Audi should update my modem to the latest version. If they would do that, why not just go to LTE?

Quick Reply: I am so angry right now!