A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I miss my S8.. this A6 sucks

Old 10-21-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
i have to chip in on this one! i have a 2014 A8 4.0 and I was given an A6 loaner with the 2.0 in it. I have to say I was TOTALLY underwhelmed with the interior and particularly the engine performance. There is hard plastic everywhere you look, granted the A8 is top of the line and costs way more, BUT if you look at the difference between a E350 Merc versus an S550 there isnt quite that disparity. While i had the A6 a friend was along for the ride and said a new Hyundai was nicer.....its the engine that does it for me, while the 2.0L is loved by many it simply has no place in the A6. When one gets the Prestige and the 3.0 powerplant it really is a different car, its like the base car is built cheap for a rental fleet!!
Why buy a new loaded A6 for what 70K? when you can buy a gently used A8 with less than 20K miles for around 50K or less? I have had all manner of luxury cars, BMW, mercedes and Audi.........my A8 is far and above better than any other I have owned and in EVERY category!
You make lots of good points. The a8 is a much larger class of vehicle and many buyers may not feel comfortable or it may not be practical to have such a large beast. The a8 is not only longer, even the short wheel base but it is a WIDE vehicle, can be tough to maneuver in tight situations. I have an s8 plus and it was a consideration for me, coming from driving e class Mercedes. It is however, an absolutely awesome vehicle in most ways, other than being a bit dated from a technology perspective. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the base model A6! Now as for my S8.. I'm over the moon for it, totally in love. I just expected more for from the A6 for 55k.. thanks for the good discussion gang!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Then name 5 better cars for the money. Dont make the ridiculous comparison of a car costing 80K like the other guy
Hyundai\Genesis g80
Genesis g90
Kia optima sxl
Kia cadenza
Kia k900

Those right there can be had close to or under a mid equipped a6 and what I would consider a better car than the a6,.. The optima is the only one there that might be less of a car,.. But @ll of them have better interiors, quieter, better materials than the a6.

​​​​ you would just have to go drive one of those cars before purchasing anything German unless it's one of the performance cars like amg, s, m cars. But the regular models are just very subpart for what you can get for the money with other car manufacturers now especially the Korean makers.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Hyundai\Genesis g80
Genesis g90
Kia optima sxl
Kia cadenza
Kia k900

Those right there can be had close to or under a mid equipped a6 and what I would consider a better car than the a6,.. The optima is the only one there that might be less of a car,.. But @ll of them have better interiors, quieter, better materials than the a6.

​​​​ you would just have to go drive one of those cars before purchasing anything German unless it's one of the performance cars like amg, s, m cars. But the regular models are just very subpart for what you can get for the money with other car manufacturers now especially the Korean makers.
Not buying it. Kias have terrible reliability records plus their resale is horrible. That makes this value very bad
Old 10-21-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread -

While I have never driven the 2.0 A6 - my wifes previous car has been a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige (With a 67K MSRP) and its been absolutely one of the best cars we've ever owned. We still own the TDI A6 and will do so until the settlement is resolved.

I currently DD a 2016 RS7 (which is 2x the price of our A6 new) - but there are tons of areas where the A6 just shines to me - even over and above a car double its price. It is very refined, quiet (not a single rattle), not a single issue in 3 years of ownership. The TDI engine just gets up and goes. Interior fit and finish is great. It is quieter as a cruiser (especially freeway) over the RS7 or ANY audi that we owned for that matter. Lets not forget close to 30mpg city, 40mpg highway - so it hardly has to see a gas station. We have it setup with the black optics and sport package from the factory on the 20" rotor wheels, and full LEDS - so it almost looks like an S8 light.

Overall we have been VERY impressed with the capabilities and overall well-roundness of the A6. Is it the 'most' fun to drive car - definitely not - but that only adds to its great daily live-ability. But as a great every day all arounder, with a spacious cabin / trunk , and everything else that it offers I think it is very tough to beat. I highly recommend one as a great family car.

Last edited by socialpro; 10-21-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

delete

Last edited by socialpro; 10-21-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by socialpro
Interesting thread -

While I have never driven the 2.0 A6 - my wifes previous car has been a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige (With a 67K MSRP) and its been absolutely one of the best cars we've ever owned. We still own the TDI A6 and will do so until the settlement is resolved.

I currently DD a 2016 RS7 (which is 2x the price of our A6 new) - but there are tons of areas where the A6 just shines to me - even over and above a car double its price. It is very refined, quiet (not a single rattle), not a single issue in 3 years of ownership. The TDI engine just gets up and goes. Interior fit and finish is great. It is quieter as a cruiser (especially freeway) over the RS7 or ANY audi that we owned for that matter. Lets not forget close to 30mpg city, 40mpg highway - so it hardly has to see a gas station. We have it setup with the black optics and sport package from the factory on the 20" rotor wheels, and full LEDS - so it almost looks like an S8 light.

Overall we have been VERY impressed with the capabilities and overall well-roundness of the A6. Is it the 'most' fun to drive car - definitely not - but that only adds to its great daily live-ability. But as a great every day all arounder, with a spacious cabin / trunk , and everything else that it offers I think it is very tough to beat. I highly recommend one as a great family car.
Which echos the experience of 99.9% of the people that have driven it.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Not buying it. Kias have terrible reliability records plus their resale is horrible. That makes this value very bad
Lol well you are obviously just too biased to convince otherwise... You obviously have something about this a6... If I had to buying something in the 65k dollar range it would not be the a6 for sure as you are not getting much of a car at that price point. You keep denying that those cars are at all good but you have not even been in those cars.

You keep mentioning others experience and auto reviewers about how good the a6 is but have you seen any reviews about any of those cars listed above? They all have great reviews and as far as reliability guess they are actually much better than Audis are concerned. Also the resale values are better than Audi... At least the Genesis are.

So instead of just crossing your arms and smirking a no I don't believe you... Just do a little research... Or don't and keep living in that fantasy world of yours.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by socialpro
Interesting thread -

Nothing against your cars but unfortunately for me I was looking for at the rs7 before I bought my s8 plus but the interior, ride, and quietness was nowhere even close to the level off the s8. At this point in my life that is what I need more than flash and quickness... If I was 25 and could afford the rs7 then obviously I would have picked the rs7 over my s8 plus but that's just not what I'm after now.

So if those things are not important to you then you will think the 6 and 7s feel great and will love those cars... Again I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the car itself but just compared to the money being spent the a6 is not a bargain. There are better cars with better tech out there for around the same other amount. Hell the Genesis g90 can be had for $65k, has v8, interior looks great, leather everywhere, extremely quiet, has every tech my s8 has, tons of room, reclining rear seats, massage, I mean you name it it has it.

But would I drive it over my s8 or an rs7? Hell no but over an a6... Absolutely... Every day I would... And whoever doesn't believe me really just had to check out that car... It is really unbelievable the amount of car you are getting for the amount of money in any of new Korean makers. They just don't make fun cars yet.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the 3.0 A6 Prestige when it first came out in 2012. Sold it after only a year. It was nice enough but not comfortable for me at all re: the seats. I was coming from a BMW 750 and those seats are the best in the business. The A8 is very close though. And the A6 was louder inside the cabin at speed, very plasticky as well. It was a quick car though. Fit and finish doesn't compare at all to the BMW 5 series though, neither does the drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I miss my S8.. this A6 sucks