A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just nailed a deer

Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just nailed a deer

#sadface
anyone know where to get new body panels? Google search wasn't overly helpful. I see the used ones on eBay but I want to compare prices to New so I know if I'm getting hosed or not.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Sorry to hear. Question: you don't have collision/comprehensive? Not sure about deer, but from encounters with both rocks rolling down slope onto highway and a bird strike that took out various stuff, both of those were considered comprehensive. Comprehensive = $100 deductible for me (same as windshield) and importantly, no finding of fault/points/premium hit. That's probably something like a $5K or even 7.5K claim for that corner area as a first guess.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-18-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have to wait till Monday...

I have to wait till Monday to talk to insurance folks, but I believe it drives up the rates whenever they have to pay a claim, no?
Old 11-18-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lmfao. That's totally the type of thing I'd normally beavis laugh at but I didn't even notice! Too distraught
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol, no worries. I'm strangely taking this in stride. Could be worse. Just kills me that I've been driving my crappy cars in this deer-infested area for 5 years with no incident, and the second I get a cool car I care about...bam!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HBA8
I have to wait till Monday to talk to insurance folks, but I believe it drives up the rates whenever they have to pay a claim, no?
It depends on your insurance company but unless you have a douchebag one, it should be covered without changing your rates. The exception to this is if you have had a lot of claims in the past couple years, but I'm guessing you haven't.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have hit a deer driving a rental car ( fortunately !) the damage was about $8000 and my insurance paid it without raising my rate, I have changed the insurance since then and it did not affect my rate....
Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok cool, that gives me some hope. I'll update you guys on Monday. Thanks for the support!
Old 11-18-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

You can find others on the web, but an example of what I was saying in prior reply: https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-r...-accident.aspx For me, comprehensive is $100 deductible (as in, rounding error for a vehicle of decent value), while collision is a $500 deductible. More importantly, a comprehensive doesn't seem to affect my rates or coverage. By contrast, an at fault accident or a ticket both cost a point for CA insurance rating, and then premiums go up for the next three years. Thus, I always submit comprehensive claims, including windshields (glass). On the bird hit a family member had on a Mini S, I sensed the adjuster seemed to be looking for an excuse to be a hero for the carrier as he poked around the bodywork and took his pictures. Oops, when I pulled the down feather out of the fog light, that was sort of the end of the discussion. Thus, don't touch that fur that is pretty obviously caught at the edge of the headlight... Exhibit A as it were for any debates.

Meantime, back to starting post. I would be looking for a quality shop that does Audi's and aluminum in parallel to talking to your agent/carrier. Be sure it is thoroughly inspected and the other incidentals get rolled in--wheel alignment, adaptive and other sensor alignment, etc. That's a bunch of $$ all by itself and dealer realm these days. Most of the parts will probably be straight replace from the couple D3 claims I had, though the hood if slightly dented (what I think I see in the pic.) may be a repair and repaint from my parallel experience.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bummer on the deer...just happened to me last month....similar damage & radiator leaking...2006 A6 4.2L....initial body shop estimate ~$6,000....they replace the body panels these days cause they are aluminum and according to them and Ins Co, alum panels do not take fixes as well as steel (due to the better steel memory)....they found some used replacement panels....I attached the estimate for you (there are some sourcing notes in there)....Insurance Co said scrap the car....offered me $6,600 or $5,800 and I keep the car ..... I went with the $6,600 and found another Audi (I had bought that one used 5-6 yrs ago for $25K with 35K miles)....found a 2011 A8L with 77K miles for $21.5K with driver assist (car will stop/go itself in traffic and supposedly emergency brake in a collision determination by the radar/cameras/computer -- I wonder if that would have helped in a deer situation but hard to test - LOL)

Did you have driver assist ? Also, Ins Co will not normally raise your rates (that's why you pay upfront) unless of course you have multiple claims which are way above their actuarial-type estimates (my guess)
Attached Images   
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUDI A6 Estimate Redacted.pdf (86.3 KB, 81 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just nailed a deer