A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlights short beam

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED headlights short beam

I finally got to drive on dark road tonight. The LED beams have a nice look, but seems too short of a throw. I tried the all weather setting and did not get more distance. High beams seem to be ok and fill the space well. The white light is very easy on the eyes, with no glare. It is strange to see such light while driving, even whiter than the Xeons.

Is there a screw adjustment method, like turn the screws like other lights, or will that mess up a calibration that will cost $800 to fix. Or is it a computer control adjustment? I would like to tilt them up a few degrees.

Bill
Old 04-30-2016, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Try looking into the VCDS settings, I think there is an elevation setting in there. Be careful, however. Your lights are set the way they are for a reason, turning them up may make you start to blind other drivers with your low beams, which at worst can cause an accident and at best is massively irritating. I always found the high beams more than sufficient in the country.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

+1 on being careful in here. Electronically too. From general experience this module is very sensitive to any wrong coding. Wrong move and you quickly get a fault. And the coding documentation for D4's seems to be slim to none.

Separately, see my post the other day about the swivel function. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ature-2899675/ While people in general seem to be confirming my sense that the lights don't swivel left to right, if I believe the owners manual they do seem to adjust somehow/somewhat vertically. By that I mean separately from the auto high beam function. See the owner's manual page excerpts I included there. More specifically, like OP here my sense is they are pointed down and don't throw long distances, but I think that is like on my neighborhood street. I do get the sense from lighting patterns they are coming up somewhat on open road. See owner's manual for explanation...if you believe it's in there. And, that it applies to the LED's unlike the adaptive (swiveling) discussion that appears to only be relevant to HID's.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
I finally got to drive on dark road tonight. The LED beams have a nice look, but seems too short of a throw. I tried the all weather setting and did not get more distance. High beams seem to be ok and fill the space well. The white light is very easy on the eyes, with no glare. It is strange to see such light while driving, even whiter than the Xeons.

Is there a screw adjustment method, like turn the screws like other lights, or will that mess up a calibration that will cost $800 to fix. Or is it a computer control adjustment? I would like to tilt them up a few degrees.

Bill
If I read your sig correctly, you posted your A3 question in the A8 D4 forum. As to the height adjustment, if the A3 LED headlight assembly is similar to the A6, there should be screws that raise and lower the aim. While the A3 might be different, the thread link below can give you an idea. If you find the screws, just be sure not to raise the aim to the point where you are dazzling other drivers.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...tment-2883382/
Old 04-30-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typo in signature. I have a A8.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
Typo in signature. I have a A8.
If memory serves me correctly, the A8 LED's adapt and adjust automatically according to darkness levels so there may be times when the low beam throw in particular seems a bit "short" but typically in really dark situations, they are most efficient. The high beams are just awesome and the high beam auto dimming works great except that occasionally it gets fooled by highly reflective signs that cause them to go back to low beams! Having had an LS460 previously, I can tell you that if there's any headlight swiveling going on with the A8L, it is infinitesimal! The Lexus headlights were very obvious but I can't really say I miss them as the A8L LED's are excellent and give the impression of swiveling because of the broader field of light on corners. Overall, the A8L is much more enjoyable to drive and has had absolutely no problems although the passenger side vanity bulb just went so I am going to have to make an extra trip to the dealer. Doubtful I will get a loaner! 😜