A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a '13 S8 - what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a '13 S8 - what to look out for?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking forward to being part of the Audi family, just looking for a few pointers for someone who's about to commit to an S8.

Right now I'm looking at a 2013, Audi S8. White exterior, red interior. It has 50,000 miles and is accident free. It has recently got the 50k service done at the dealership and the warranty just expired. The owner has always taken it in for work at the dealership and provided me with reports, and from looking at pictures it looks like it has been well taken care of.

The car has a Militek exhaust, and a Hofele spoiler I believe.
Asking price is $34,500.

What do S8 owners think about this one? Is it priced moderately? Anything I need to check when I'm hands on with the car?

It sucks that I haven't been able to get an equipment list using the VIN. If anyone can help with that, would be awesome. I'm going to check it the car next weekend, since it's in a different city than where I live.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate everyone's input. .

Old 04-14-2019, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm always wary of cars that have had a lot of changes. Obviously the badging is fake, and you need to see how they blacked out the chrome trim.

Listen to music with volume up to make sure no rattles on back deck from blown speaker. I've seen a few B&O owners mention that problem.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Where are you located ? Price seems to reflect the car has some undesirable mods and interior color but would depend what country you’re in. Seems to not be in the US given long license plates

these 3 mods alone would make the car a non starter for me ....

Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Holy cow

That red interior!!!! 🤯🤯🤯
Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnboydl
I'm always wary of cars that have had a lot of changes. Obviously the badging is fake, and you need to see how they blacked out the chrome trim.

Listen to music with volume up to make sure no rattles on back deck from blown speaker. I've seen a few B&O owners mention that problem.
Thanks, man! I appreciate the great feedback. The badging also took me by surprise. But I think it has some pieces from the Hofele body kit, which is marketed by them as an RS8. That's where I'm guessing those ugly badges came from. I'll definitely check out the trim, didn't pay close enough to see that even the S8 has chrome trim. Cool, I'll also look at the subwoofer.

Originally Posted by audisession
Where are you located ? Price seems to reflect the car has some undesirable mods and interior color but would depend what country you’re in. Seems to not be in the US given long license plates

these 3 mods alone would make the car a non starter for me ....
I'm located in KSA. Yeah, long license plates aren't too bad. Personally, I like this interior much more than the dark burgundy color.

Originally Posted by Doctormario
That red interior!!!! 🤯🤯🤯
Agree, this red interior looks very nice with the white stitching.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession

these 3 mods alone would make the car a non starter for me
Yep. Agree with this guy
Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably stay away.
The mods and interior are somewhat strange...the badges?

However, it is not a lot of money for one hell of car! Be prepared for added costs of servicing, insurance, maintenance etc and if anything were to go wrong etc $$$

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you like the red interior, that is a great price for the car. Some people see mods like this as a negative, others see them as a positive. The positive side is that someone loved that car enough to put a bunch of extra money, time and attention into it. The exhaust work alone is a couple thousand plus the additional spoiler, the blacked out grill, the smoked lenses, etc. Personally the RS8 badges are odd and diminish the car in my opinion. Those could easily be removed, or, if you like them, keep them.

I just responded to another dude that just posted looking at an s8. Here's a copy...

- - - - - - -

Get a copy of the dealer service records as well as carfax. Also, go here and type VIN in to see if any recalls are outstanding ---> · Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number

Major issue with that specific year and especially at those miles is turbos. Original oil screen most likely culprit. Dozens of cars have reported blown turbos and upon extraction, oil screen completely clogged up. Audi redesigned the screen to address the issue. Problem is getting to the part is a major job (approx $2,500 if done by dealer and changing out oil separator at same time). Oil separator also had issue with original design which was prone to failure and redesigned by Audi. Personally, I would see if the dealer is willing to replace oil screen, check valve & oil separator as preventative maintenance as outlined in attached TSBs. When the job is done, you will want to inspect the condition of the turbos to ensure they are in good working order and no major play. Also check the coolant lines to the turbos for leaks. That was a recall. Attaching that too. In any event, change oil every 5k, not every 10k as recommended by Audi.

The other known problem is the 1k/3k vibration due flex pipes on downpipes. This was something that could have been addressed under warranty by previous owner. Check the dealer service records. If they weren't fixed with the redesigned flex pipes, the vibration will be apparent any time the car is around 1k rpms (so whenever slowing down). Very annoying. Attaching that TSB.

Another major issue for me was the brakes. Brakes are massive and will stop the car on a dime however, they are super dusty and super noisy. There were several TSBs regarding brake noise so it seems it was a common problem. I negotiated to have the dealer change the pads to EBC Red ceramic pads even though the pads on the car were new. Couldn't be happier with the EBC Reds. Absolutely no noise and the dust level is about 20% versus the super dusty OEM pads.

Those are the major things that come to mind. Once you get those issues sorted out, it truly is an awesome car and highly recommend it. Be prepared for higher maintenance costs. Warranty would be a good idea. Best of luck.